No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good. Never realized the trim holes were different between the GM and CV, but its never something I had to learn. Seems like they would have designed it to use the same trim mounting holes just for economy reasons.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the 88+ Grand Marquis use those ugly black rubber pieces That run along midway of the body. The trim for the vic was the same 79-91 and the mercury also used that trim up to 87.

Comment

Yep the 88+ Grand Marquis had to be different...

More progress today.

Sanded off the fiberglass filler:

And applied some evercoat rage body filler then sanded that off:

I also sanded down all of the previously rust converter treated areas and applied rust encasulator to it:

I wanna get this thing in primer before I go away to Tallahassee for a weeks worth of Nerd convention..I mean league of legends invitational....We have a truck working there....
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

how bad are your fenders on the car now

Comment

Shitty over the wheel arches.

Passengers side is better than drivers. Both sides had the rust cut out of them then packed with long strand fiberglass filler. Passengers side is bulging out and bubbling some. Drivers side the same but also complete rust through in areas that were spotless back in 2010 when the paint work was done.

More prep work today...consisted of sanding everything down with 220 the a red scotch brite on all the areas to be primed.

Check out my kick as stand:

And ready for primer:

Back side will be primed on all the white as well as the area next to the battery:

~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Took my NOS centercaps out of their seals and cleaned them up and applied some wheel wax to them to deepen the shine and make them easier to clean if the wheels ever get back on the car...

Before:

After:

~David~

Comment

Epoxy primed the passengers side fender today as well as started working on the drivers side one.

My babies:

Passengers side all primed up:

Will guide coat it and block it out once I get back from my work trip.

The back side of the drivers side fender was dirty but nice and rust free:

The ditch light area was fucked up. Lots of bondo in there. I ground it all out and hammer and dollied it out as best as I could:

Me just before slinging some mud:

Done with the body work and the little bit of rusty areas sitting in rust convertor.

Rust encapsulated the back side some just because:

Will go over the rust converted bits with rust encapsulator once I get back from my work trip.

Now to order more 2k primer....
                ~David~

Comment

the more I see you work on this car, the more I realize how far to the other side of the spectrum I am with mine. I need to clean mine out BAD.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Looking good dude!

You're fenders rotted out that bad since 2010? Don't you not even drive you're car once it becomes winter? I know my fenders aren't bad but now you have me afraid to even take a hard look at them this spring!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      I wanna get this thing in primer before I go away to Tallahassee for a weeks worth of Nerd convention..I mean league of legends invitational....
                      Hey, there are some smokin' hot chicks on those conventions! Been trying to get mine to go to one of the anime ones and show them what a proper Black Lagoon Revy looks like, but so far no luck... Ah well, at least I get to take Shenhua out for dinner every once in a while, so not all is lost

Crazy amount of work you're putting in that car, pretty sure by the time you're halfway done with everything she will already look better than when she left the assembly line. Attention to detail is nothing short of impressive, wish I had that kinda patience and determination... Keep it up, some of us enjoy Panthers vicariously thru folks like yourself
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        the more I see you work on this car, the more I realize how far to the other side of the spectrum I am with mine. I need to clean mine out BAD.
                        Thanks. Its easier when its not my daily.

Originally posted by slack View Post
                        Looking good dude!

You're fenders rotted out that bad since 2010? Don't you not even drive you're car once it becomes winter? I know my fenders aren't bad but now you have me afraid to even take a hard look at them this spring!
                        Sure they were painted some years back but they are still really old. I had not pulled the fenders off the car when painted to really get a look in them for more rust damage caused from many years of year round dding it.

I don't drive the car in winter or rain. Hell I don;t even wash it. I do waterless car washes.

Super happy the two I have to go on the car are nice and clean. I will also oil the hell out of the inside of them to ensure they stay that way no matter what.

Originally posted by nightlight View Post
                        Hey, there are some smokin' hot chicks on those conventions! Been trying to get mine to go to one of the anime ones and show them what a proper Black Lagoon Revy looks like, but so far no luck... Ah well, at least I get to take Shenhua out for dinner every once in a while, so not all is lost

Crazy amount of work you're putting in that car, pretty sure by the time you're halfway done with everything she will already look better than when she left the assembly line. Attention to detail is nothing short of impressive, wish I had that kinda patience and determination... Keep it up, some of us enjoy Panthers vicariously thru folks like yourself
                        Thanks for the kind words.
                        ~David~

Comment

Probably condensation coming up off the ground and settling inside and under the body panels. My friend with the '67 Velle told that he had to put a tarp under the car and pin the sides of the tarp along the garage wall to keep the condensation off of the car. That's in a garage in addition to a car cover.

Yah, once it starts, it all just goes downhill in a hurry. I noticed a little rust on the lip of the lower pass rear fender on my '86 CV, is now completely rotted through. I lose a good amount of metal/rust every winter due to the salt and potholes. Once I get the new engine in, I will immediately hunt for a rear pass fender and a front driver side fender.

Packman

Comment

Now that I came back from Tallahassee and got some rest (just under a 120hr work week!) I got back to worrking on the drivers side fender.

Yesterday I filler primed the ditch light area after scuffing and painting with rust encapsulator the previously rust convereted areas. Today I block out that filler primer to get the ditch light area more straight. Still ain't perfect, and wont be, but should be fine in the end. I used a nice dry powder guide coat. Worked great.

Here it is right before primer:

It was not easy getting to that point. Went over the entire piece with 80 grit then 120 then 220. Scuffed everything really well with a red scotch brite and the primed it with 2k epoxy primer.

Here she sits. Will let that fender dry a couple days before blocking it out.

~David~

Comment

Nice work!!! Wish I had the patience (and a steady hand) for that.

Who's foxbody?

Packman

Comment

Best years of the fox. The four eyed.

Is it a cobra? Those look like cobra wheels...
                                __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                                X