93 cobra wheels on my pops 85 gt

Guide coat...

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Both fenders are now blocked out with 400 grit and a guide coat. Any pin holes and/or low spots have been dealt with accordingly and I will proceed with a second treatment of 2k epoxy primer on any breakthroughs and treated areas. Both fenders will then be blocked out with 600 grit. All other areas will be thoroughly gone over with a gray scotch brite and then it will be ready for paint.
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Fenders are now sitting in their final coat of primer.

But before I got to that point...

Here is the guide coat:

And applied on the drivers side fender:

Here are both the drivers side and passengers side fenders just before being shot with their final coay of 2k epoxy:

The darker gray areas you see are spots where filler primer was used to help smooth out the panels.

Here they rest sunbathing...Well there was sun before lol

Oh and because....

Dad was washing it earlier.
        ~David~

Comment

Is that a Nova across the street

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Yep that POS. Been sitting rotting away for at least 6 years now.
            ~David~

Comment

Super gusty outside. Scrapping the plans for the final 600 grit wetsanding before paint today. Hopefully pick up on that tomorrow. Will scuff all other areas to be sprayed with a gray scotch brite to ensure adhesion. Bummed I couldn't get them ready for paint sooner.
              ~David~

Comment

Finally got around to painting my fenders yesterday. All in all the job went smoothly.

Here they are ready for paint after being block sanded with 600 grit sandpaper:

The products I had on hand:

6 cans of color matched base coat (actually 7...that last one was pretty much empty from another project and I just finished it off)as well as four can of 2k spraymax high gloss glamour clear coat.

When applying the first coat of base to the drivers side fender I went to heavy on it without any tac coat underneath and the sumbitch ran like a mofo after a couple seconds of lying there:

I had to let that base dry then wetsand all of the runs out. Really disappointed me as that was the first panel I sprayed. I was not sure if anything would work right after that. But again it was caused by not applying a light tac coat on the whole panel before laying the base on thicker.

Here is the drivers side sitting in its final coat of base before getting clearcoated:

This is the passengers side sitting before it treatment of clear coat:

When all was said and done I went through about 4.5 cans of base and 3 cans of clearcoat. I made sure to go heavy on the clear not only to try and reduce any orange peel but to give myself some leeway when wetsanding that out to get that mirror finish the rest of the car has.

Here they are sunbathing today:

I may have put one to many coats of base on. At first glance the finish appears to be a tad darker then my cars existing finish. w/e At least they are not all rusted through. lol

This is with me even using an existing piece of the car to tell me when enough is enough:

I picked up some products this morning to assist in the color sanding and buffing process:

Maybe that will lighten the color some. Time will tell.

In the above photo you can also see I picked up some pinstripping. Planning to do it up near stock once I get the fenders on and after they get cut and buffed.
                ~David~

Comment

Doesn't matter how you start out but how you finish. I have no doubt the finished product will be PRIMO!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Damn.. You goto school for body work?

We'll do my car next?

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

once you get the gloss on the clear real nice, it should lighten up some I would think. Less light diffraction.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That's friggin beautiful!!!

Can't paint like that in my neighborhood; they'd lead me off in chains.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                          That's friggin beautiful!!!

Can't paint like that in my neighborhood; they'd lead me off in chains.

Packman
                          you need to move.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Logan, I have not attended an auto-body repair school. I first learned some of the trade when my car was being refinished back between 2008 and 2010. Since then I have been an avid watcher of autobody channels on youtube. Believe it or not but watching does help you pick up good and bad habits as well as tips and tricks as well as does and don'ts. A lot of it though is learning by feel, by actually performing the task at hand.

Why doesn't your brother help you out? I am sure he can tell you how to do a certain task and you can take your time performing that task. Body work takes time and you are a youngin with plenty of it.

If you were local I would gladly assist you. This stuff is spendy would be nice to play around and gain some more experience and skill on someone else's dime.
                            ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              Thanks everyone.

Logan, I have not attended an auto-body repair school. I first learned some of the trade when my car was being refinished back between 2008 and 2010. Since then I have been an avid watcher of autobody channels on youtube. Believe it or not but watching does help you pick up good and bad habits as well as tips and tricks as well as does and don'ts. A lot of it though is learning by feel, by actually performing the task at hand.

Why doesn't your brother help you out? I am sure he can tell you how to do a certain task and you can take your time performing that task. Body work takes time and you are a youngin with plenty of it.

If you were local I would gladly assist you. This stuff is spendy would be nice to play around and gain some more experience and skill on someone else's dime.
                              Nick does and did (with my 06' roof.)

I may start doing it in the summer... When I have active employment. I really want this vinyl top off.
                              __________________________________________________

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

I think that will be a nice project to start with. You will have PLENTY of holes to learn how to weld closed. Will be fun.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X