My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Call me a noob but did I just force myself into deleting the EGR valve due to the nature of the heads? The center of the heads where they mate against the lower intake (only seen before the intake was on) has holes on some heads and no holes on mine....Is it time to purchase and EGR block off Plate?
    Yep, you got the heads without the holes.

Also, is that intake ported? Looks stock in the pics.

I don't remember having any clearance issues with the TF valve covers and stock intakes.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      yessir, either that or you figure how to run external EGR feed by customizing the headers and using whatever egr spacer has the proper connections for that kind of rig.
      effff that noise. I'll make sure to get that CEL dealt with in the tune as well as the tab and tad solenoids.

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
      Yep, you got the heads without the holes.

Also, is that intake ported? Looks stock in the pics.

I don't remember having any clearance issues with the TF valve covers and stock intakes.

I purchased the intake a few years back and it was advertised as a stock one with no modifications done aside from the act sensor location drilled and tapped.

Good to hear about the clearance.

I also goofed and purchased a silver set of valve covers instead of black which I wanted...Matter of fact I didn;t know they came in black so I intended to paint it wrinkle black. I have since ALSO purchased the correct black finished valve covers so I don;t have to do any painting and the finish should be more durable.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If it's a lighting lower it should be fine. Trickflows flow around 250cfm in the intak ports, and lighting lower is 280 per port. If it was a 302 with stock explorer lower then it would be a restriction. Running with no egr is no big deal, although sometimes it's preferred for gas mileage and emissions. What brand headers are those?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

He's building a 302, so it would be an Explorer lower. It'll be a choke point.

flow numbers I found for a stock Explorer intake, flow per cylinder 1-8
          Explorer 169 180 176 180 177 177 183 183 178
          Stock 5.0: 123 140 142 145 119 139 133 150 136

no clue what parameters those were obtained under, or if it was done with the same conditions so you may wish to take those numbers with a grain of salt. It sounds about right though from what I've seen elsewhere. One thing that really helps more than flow is just making it even. The stock intakes are just shit on #1 and 5. The Explorer is at least not so wide a range from best to worst.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Its not a lightning lower as this is just a 302. I am sure there are plenty of things I could have improved upon and it ain't bothering me. This is what I have and what I will be using.

The headers are Ford Racing.

Just ordered an EGR block off plate to take care of my egr issues.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have no idea why I thought you were building a 351...reading too many threads I suppose. Those numbers sound a little low from other tests i've read, especially TMOSS who does porting, he was saying they flow around 200-205ish stock. Either way that will be a choke point, but that aside you will make plenty of power with it regardless, my setup has a stock explorer lower, and is peppy enough, but it will be my next engine modification when I decide to do it.

Glad to hear you went with ford racing
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Good riddance to the EGR. Exhaust gas has no business in the intake of a performance engine.

Dave do you have a vacuum gauge in the car?

Once you have the engine in the car and broken in, watch the vacuum gauge at WOT. If its not right down at 0 with the pedal on the floor, then you know you have a restriction in the intake (could be the throttle body or even the air cleaner assembly as well). That will be your empirical evidence.

Even if the intake is slightly restrictive... I doubt you will care because the car will be night and day from what it is now. Its just something to consider, because I know what its like to be "that guy" that likes everything to be right.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yes I do have a vacuum/boost (lol) gauge in the car. Right now it goes to zero mighty fast when I am on it. Will be sure to check it out when the new engine gets in.

In the burnout video above the vacuum gauge can be seen as the closest one to the window. Almost looks like it is getting boost but I know that cannot be.
                  Last edited by 87gtVIC; 10-28-2015, 05:14 PM.
                  ~David~

Comment

reading manifold vacuum at WOT would only indicate a restriction at the upper intake or the throttle body, depending where the connection is. The flow restriction, if anywhere, would be in the lower intake. Only way you could monitor that is by reading vacuum in the intake runner of the cylinder head, and thats just not really possible.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Valve covers came in and thank goodness they will clear the rockers just fine. Not concerned about the intake vacuum port yet. I am very concerned about where the hell to drill for the oil fill tube though....ZACH. HELP.
                      ~David~

Comment

Hope this location works for me:
                        Attached Files
                        ~David~

Comment

Ya, that's where mine is. Just set the upper intake on quick and make sure you have room.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Will do

How was the clearance underneath inside the valve cover?
                            ~David~

Comment

Very good work David, you look fabulous.

Have that goddamn intake ported.
                              __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                                Very good work David, you look fabulous.

are you trying to tell us something ?

Comment

Working...
                                X