No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Tom. The weather today was freakin gorgeous!

Continued working on the disassembly this afternoon. Removed a ground from the back of the passengers side head (o2’s also grounded there) as well as a ground near the front of the passengers side block. Removed the thermactor tube thing that goes between all of the smog stuff and then enters the h pipe. Finished up under the car by removing the two engine mount bolts.

After that we started removing a lot of the top end as well as accessory pieces, radiator drained etc etc...

Some pics I took for my own reference whenever reassembly time comes around....Also disassembley pics.

Those guys that have removed the smog pump but still have AC...did you use a piece of pipe or something to take up the room for the smog pump for the lowest bolt hole for the compressor bracket?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

It is a rare sight to see, people using FENDER COVERS ! I always use them. Most shops do not and will not use them.
      Where did you get the magnets ?

Comment

mine has no pipe. Its not really needed, the plate that the pump's upper bolt attaches to remains in place for the tensioner.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

what are you going to do with your old headers?
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I just thread the bolt back in, you could add a spacer if your feeling ambitious but it's not needed.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

+1 just thread it back in. It'll go no problem.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                It is a rare sight to see, people using FENDER COVERS ! I always use them. Most shops do not and will not use them.
                Where did you get the magnets ?
                Cheap insurance that the fenders wont get too messed up. My paint is pretty nice and I see no reason why to not try and keep it that way.

The magnets my father got through work. They are used to hold police equipment and such to the vehicles.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                mine has no pipe. Its not really needed, the plate that the pump's upper bolt attaches to remains in place for the tensioner.
                Thanks

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                what are you going to do with your old headers?
                Nothing. Give them away. They are stock fox body headers.

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                I just thread the bolt back in, you could add a spacer if your feeling ambitious but it's not needed.
                Thanks. I think I will. Dad said it could flex under tension, and it is easier just to yes him to death. It shouldn't be hard to accomplish a spacer for the gap between the bracket and the block.

Originally posted by sly View Post
                +1 just thread it back in. It'll go no problem.
                Thanks.
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I want them for when I put the X pipe on my car

Comment

Today I worked on the car some more. Removed the old booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve and drivers side brake line in favor of 1998 to 02 NON abs goodies.

I was able to peel over the existing passengers side brake hose (from its former proportioning valve location) and connect it to the new drivers side teed brake hose. No luck on completing the rear brake line starting at the master. I did not have proper fittings or bubble flare tool to complete the job. I will have to continue that at a later date.

I did manage to repin the ecm connector and my car now sports an A9P ecm. It was a bit of a pain to make the holes for the new added wire but it all got done. VSS+ and -, FPM, tab and tad relocated as well as added a MAF harness. All in all very manageable when taking your time and being patient.

By the way that new booster and master cylinder combo really open that side of the engine compartment!

Before:

After:

Just my notes while I was repining the messy ecm connector:

But it got done:

OH and finding the VSS wires were SUPER easy. There was a two wire harness just wrapped in black tape starting just below the ecm and leading over the engine and then down toward the transmission on the passengers side. It then crossed back over the top of the transmission onto the drivers side and eventually into the VSS on the transmission. Fantastically easy to fin and tie into right under the ecm.
                    ~David~

Comment

Fantastic work, mang

How much os a size difference is the new booster, about 2" less?

Comment

If not 2 inches its damned close to it all the way around.
                        ~David~

Comment

Its right around 2" I think, but the later one is thicker than the old one. Dual diaphragm though, so more total surface area for more better boostings. Same MC piston bore and stroke.

The ECM re-pin is not the complex pain in the ass its made out to be. Biggest hassle is getting it to move somewhere that you can reach it to work on it. This is actually one of the reasons I leave my Fox chassis car alone. They put the ECM in a very cunty location, and its not exactly easy for my fat ass to lay under the passenger side dash to do such things.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Going to be the finest is Queens County. Probably NYC
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Looks good, damn thing does open up the engine compartment quite a bit! If only you could report on brake pedal feel..

Gadget, was at a yard this past Saturday looking at a Mark VII and couldn't figure out where they put the ECM. Figured it was the passenger side since years ago when someone tried stealing my dad's there was some goofy thing hanging down from the dash on the passenger side.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I'll have to get the proper adapter or brake line making tool before I can even think about stepping on that pedal. The fitting to feed the rear brakes out of the master is larger than the ones for the front. Dads friend has the tool to make the line so I will probably just go that route.

Regarding the repining of the computer connector what I found most frustrating was the silly blue peg that falls oh so conveniently into the location you want to insert your new pin yet refuses to fall out the other end...I then figured out I had to open up that blue cap and drill out the required spots and then insert the new pin.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X