PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 218 of 219 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219 LastLast
Results 4,341 to 4,360 of 4375

Thread: My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

drink a beer, grow a beard, cut it, grind it, weld it back His Royal Ghostliness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    and she's being a bitch..
    Find one that isn't!!! They're all bitches, some just hide it better than others, lol
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

My Town Car??? That has been the best car I've owned, aside from the Firebird.
    In general though, that's the truth. "If it's got tits or tires....."
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I post a lot...

I have been told CV's are picky ladies, I know this from painful experience.

I post a lot...

Maybe that's why the GMCP has been on the road for 16 yrs & the CVCS was driven for 1 & has been parked for 6. LOL

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars, Dead AOD.....
    '91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, 'Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts...

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

the least miserable thing I've ever owned is the S10. Not to say things haven't broken, its just been relatively polite about it. Never left me anywhere, the closest it came was when the trans gave its last after knowing it was dying for a good long time. It just barely got me to work, and that was all it had to give.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Hoping to change the pump out this weekend. Poor street is getting power steering fluid just from my baby sitting there. Before last weekends drive I had to top off the level as it was just NOT reaching the power steering dipstick full cold level. Bigger puddle on the floor than before. Not gonna risk it and drive anywhere before swapping the pump out.

Also picked up a leakdown tester (one that tells you percentage of leakage) as well as another set of headgaskets. I have seepage of oil/coolant? right in front of the number 5 cylinder between the gasket and the head. I have a T moss ported gt 40 lower intake as well to pop on the same time. This may be more of a over the winter job though....time will tell when I get around to it.
    Started this mess this afternoon.

Removed upper intake, drivers side header, alternator, fan shroud, fan and drained coolant. Just about to pull off the power steering pump pulley and the sky's opened up so I had to call it quits.

Quick recap...end goal is changing out drivers side head gasket, swapping in a t moss ported gt 40 lower intake and swapping in a new power steering pump and high pressure line. I have the newer steering box so I have to cut and re-flare the high pressure line of the pump to adapt to the newer steering box' stock high pressure line.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Just one head gasket? Usually I've always done them in pairs, figuring if one failed the other one was there at the same time. Usually thats working on stuff that hasn't been apart in a long time, or something that blew a gasket from a cooling issue though.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Some goo is leaking out between the drivers side head and the head gasket at the front of the head by cylinder 5. Passengers side is all good.

The only failure here may be a poor install job the last time I was in there.....when the head bolt broke back by cylinder number 8 and had to drill it out and replace all the head bolts.
    ~David~

ah, ok, so not the usual "blow head gasket".

You probably know this but just make sure its facing the right way. Something about a coolant hole being blocked if its backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    ah, ok, so not the usual "blow head gasket".

You probably know this but just make sure its facing the right way. Something about a coolant hole being blocked if its backwards.
    Correct. Nothing blown, just not right.

Yes, will be sure to install the gasket in the correct orientation. Also looking forward to seeing what the gasket looks like in the offending area once the head is off.
    ~David~

'bout half way there...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6600.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	48869  
    ~David~

Ya poor bhastherd... You must be really good at that now.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Started this mess this afternoon.

Removed upper intake, drivers side header, alternator, fan shroud, fan and drained coolant. Just about to pull off the power steering pump pulley and the sky's opened up so I had to call it quits.

Quick recap...end goal is changing out drivers side head gasket, swapping in a t moss ported gt 40 lower intake and swapping in a new power steering pump and high pressure line. I have the newer steering box so I have to cut and re-flare the high pressure line of the pump to adapt to the newer steering box' stock high pressure line.
    This (in red) may have been said in error.

I check my new 1987 power steering high pressure line and it seems to fit right into the double flare coupler I installed years back to adapt the newer boxes odd ball high pressure steel line to my stock set up. Fuzzy memories but I think I am good at just reinstalling the stock style high pressure line to the modified police box high pressure line through the double flare coupler....
    ~David~

drink a beer, grow a beard, cut it, grind it, weld it back His Royal Ghostliness's Avatar

Fuzzy memories but I think I am good at just reinstalling the stock style high pressure line to the modified police box high pressure line through the double flare coupler....
    You are indeed good to go. The box pressure line is 5/16" SAE (45-degree) double flare, the line nut it uses to attach to the box steering gear is also the correct thread to go into any standard 5/16" SAE flared union. So no mods needed to the box pressure line, just some creative routing.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Quote Originally Posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
    You are indeed good to go. The box pressure line is 5/16" SAE (45-degree) double flare, the line nut it uses to attach to the box steering gear is also the correct thread to go into any standard 5/16" SAE flared union. So no mods needed to the box pressure line, just some creative routing.
    Perfect. The routing was always a bit funny because of the silly shape of that hose.

I vividly remember flaring something while hunched over the fender for the steering box upgrade.

It was the steering box side high pressure line. I installed it, cut to fit and did not want to remove it from the box in fear of damaging the seal in the box so I toughed it out and double flared the bastard in the bay. Un fun.

All bits from old lower intake are now swapped onto the T moss ported lower intake and ready to go.

Plan to clean out the threads in the block and p.side head and suck the coolant out of the lower head bolt areas and slap the head on tomorrow. Working outside kinda sucks..No not kinda but does A LOT.
    ~David~

Got the head on a torqued as well as the lower intake. Next up I want to drop the dizzy back in and then install the push rods and rockers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6604.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	48894   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6606.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	48895  
    ~David~

I post a lot...

Looking good meng.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars, Dead AOD.....
    '91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, 'Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts...

Note to self... Do not trust TrickFlow hardware... bin it and get ARP.

This isn't my first run-in with crap stuff from TrickFlow. The valve spring compressor I got for the valve seal job on the 93's original engine broke on the second valve spring. They make good heads, but I have yet to see anything else they make that is decent or good quality.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

not embarrassed on a scooter 85crownHPP's Avatar

Have you done a head gasket write up yet, separate from this thread?
    It'd be nice to see such a thing, to help convince me to finally do mine... ...I'm sure others in my situation in the future would love it too...!
    Especially if you list all the things you would have done differently the first few times...!!!
    I might copy posts out of this thread to assemble a make-shift one for the meantime?? And I think you'd be able to edit it too to add tips and hindsight 'druthers type info..., maybe it would be easier that way??

Quote Originally Posted by 85crownHPP View Post
    Especially if you list all the things you would have done differently the first few times...!!!
    You mean like just pull the engine out and do it on a stand? lol

Page 218 of 219 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219 LastLast