My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    late model MAF ? I guess those still work with EEC-IV. I think there is an air temp sensor wire in there that does not get connected, takes the place of the air sensor that used to screw into the airbox next to the MAF on the mid 90s cars that you also don't use with EEC-IV.

Yep. Two lonely wires left on that MAF harness for the air intake temp.

I am saying in my mind that the tuner will make that maf work with my set up. I believe Zach used this set up with his car and it was drive able.

Oh also forgot to mention that I was not a knucklehead and I still do have my parking brake switch attached to the parking brake assembly under the dash. So my non existing BRAKE light would work if I had one....
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Hey who you callin' a knucklehead? Interesting on that MAF, and yes I'm pretty sure you'll need a tune. I have the same '04 PI airbox but just figured I'd hack off the MAF part of it and use my fox-body c&l MAF and a properly-sized coupling. The fox MAF is plug-and-play as long as you use corresponding injectors, and my car is already MAF-equipped. Would've liked to use the later slot maf but I despise wiring and don't plan to tune the car anytime soon, if ever, so whatever I can stick together, I will. Looking good buddy, looks like you're getting through and doing shit right as you go along, which I applaud. Wait 'til you all see how half-assed together and ugly my car is once I start getting things done, lol.

Comment

Weather was nice out yesterday so I worked on the car for a few after I was done futzing with the bosses' POS Jimmy.

I massaged the brake line out of the master cylinder feeding the rear brakes..

Before:

After:

Not much of a change but it gives me a bit more clearance around the dipstick tube area. If I were to do it over I would have taken more time and recreated a strain relief. Not only would have it looked more professional but it would serve a purpose as well...not sure how much of one considering I have poly body mounts but meh.

I also soldered in a new coil pigtail as the old one was crusty:

I had to add the plug for the radio noise canceling thingy on the red side as well as a wire for the tach signal on the green side.

While I was tidying up the wiring in that harness I found what appeared to be a broken wire leading to the ac compressor:

I got nervous at first as I could not locate the other side of that break anywhere! I then realized I must of had a grounding issue with it as I now have that nut and bolt as the ground for the ac coil. I will look into my EVTM to confirm but I am guessing that is why things are as they are at this point in time.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          While I was tidying up the wiring in that harness I found what appeared to be a broken wire leading to the ac compressor:

I got nervous at first as I could not locate the other side of that break anywhere! I then realized I must of had a grounding issue with it as I now have that nut and bolt as the ground for the ac coil. I will look into my EVTM to confirm but I am guessing that is why things are as they are at this point in time.
          I'm glad loose wires bother you. Some people just leave them! Drives me nuts.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Progress! I remember the feeling I got when all of my flares didn't leak when I went to bleed the Fury's system some 12-13 years ago. Is that a 1990 Town Car fuse box thing-a-majigger next the master cylinder? Looks good. Ash and I paid a visit to that junkyard just now and pulled the upper intake & ECM from that Mark VII. Computer is a PITA. All of these wiring harnesses & connectors in front of it and then there's this little 7mm bolt that holds it in place, which I couldn't see and wasn't paying attention to because its all of 25 degrees outside. Bastard is mine now though! HO upper too, just need to sand blast it & paint it.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Nice find Derek. The vacuum reservoir/fuse box I pulled from a 90/91 Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis. Much more attractive than the rotting out coffee can and contains the ac WOT cutout, EEC, and fuel pump relay quite well.
              ~David~

Comment

Indeed it does. Looking forward to seeing the new engine in its new home.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

She's out!
                  ~David~

Comment

Awesome!!
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

So halfway through that when it didn't want to let go, did your dad ask if you were sure you got all the bolts out?

I used mine engine crane yesterday too, but it was to move heater oil tanks. Not nearly as fun, and it certainly smells worse.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Remind me why it's coming out and what is going back in its place?

The brown and tan brings back memories. I miss the '82. If it was a Tudor likes yours I'd still have it.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

HO time, but I'm sure there is more to it than that !
                          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                          Past Panthers
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                            Awesome!!
                            Your headers are getting boxed up tomorrow and sent your way asap now that I have them off the engine.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            So halfway through that when it didn't want to let go, did your dad ask if you were sure you got all the bolts out?

I used mine engine crane yesterday too, but it was to move heater oil tanks. Not nearly as fun, and it certainly smells worse.
                            Nope. We knew all the bolts were out it was just slightly jammed on the converter and the motor mounts on the block were holding us up too. Dad was with me every step of the way unbolting everything so we were confident that between the two of us nothing was forgotten. Dad has taken the engine out of his mustang a couple of times so he has an idea of what needs to be done.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                            Remind me why it's coming out and what is going back in its place?

The brown and tan brings back memories. I miss the '82. If it was a Tudor likes yours I'd still have it.
                            It is coming out because I want more power. A rebuilt 302 is going in with a trickflow top end kit minus the upper and lower intake. I have an explorer lower with a tubular lightning upper for that.

I wish I had a two tone brown and tan on the outside with tan on the inside....MMMMMmmmMMMMMmmmmm.

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                            HO time, but I'm sure there is more to it than that !
                            Yeppers.
                            ~David~

Comment

Some pics:

Just after the engine was removed:

Dat stance...

Dat boat anchor..

And all cleaned up after air blowing, brake cleaning, needle scaling, wire wheeling/brushing, scotchbriting and lacquer thinning.

My poor rotors

Basically right before I applied rust converter to all the rusty areas. The inside of the frame was coated with internal frame coating.

The frame is currently sitting in rust converter and in two days will be ready for rust encapsulator.

Also pulled the engine mounts off. Two of the bolts (per side) are EASY to get at. The third is blocked by the lower control arm mount.

~David~

Comment

Nice work! Very exciting seeing your progress ( I guess I don't get out much :P ) I know that engine bay is going to look gorgeous when you're done
                                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Working...
                                X