No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always wondered about how those seat belts came apart. Good exploration!

And the car is sounding better and better. How fast was that?
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Nice! So many details put into your car. Engine sounds great, everytime your transmission...found its way into the next gear, I cringed! lol
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I was wondering about the latching, the difference in the buckle is what I noticed right off.

A magnet will tell you what they are made of. Slightly magnetic is stainless, really magnetic is steel. Lesser grades of stainless can rust, and different alloys are variously magnetic but none of them will pull like regular old steel will. They're probably chrome or nickel plated steel, stainless is generally more expensive and more of a PITA to work with for no benefit in that application.

I half wonder if tripminder accuracy is a function of the fuel trim correction. I don't know the name of it but there is some multiplier value that comes from the long-term trim learning that basically multiplies the fuel table by whatever amount. Maybe the further from "1.0" that multiplier is, the more screwed up the tripminder gets. It might get its output before the multiplier is considered. Honestly I've never seen a logic flow diagram for the EEC-IV processor to even have a guess as to what precisely that fuel flow output wire is reading from. I doubt its straight off the injector pulse width output because that would allow it to only work for one specific size of injector, otherwise it would be totally out to lunch.
        Last edited by gadget73; 06-04-2016, 08:32 PM.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Tripminder will be more off. Trust me. They always are. And there's not a way to correct the fuel flow pulses with those computers. Or so I've been told by the BIN hackers. You can modify the 'DOL' signal on the 94-95 mustang, however, there's not a confirmed output pin on the ecm for it. They say it might take place of the a/c wot relay output. Which is kind of pointless unless you don't have ac.

Comment

A microswitch on the throttle lever or a manifold vacuum switch can handle that job. Carb cars managed WOT cutout without a computer.

I figured the fuel flow output was un-corrected but I'm just curious what precisely it reads from. If its right off the fuel table before the long term trim corrections kick in, perhaps making the fuel table more dead-nuts so that it doesn't have to trim so much would make it more accurate. Probably won't ever get it perfectly accurate but "less wrong" should be obtainable. I also wonder if maybe the tripminder hardware itself might have some calibration function. I do not understand digital electronics, so it would need someone who's expertise is rooted in things made post-1975 or so.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

dang... that slushbox shift. Mine bangs gears better than that... but that's with the lopo. I do need more HO in my life.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                This thing needs fox mustang seats. With halos, of course
                Fawk no, if them things are what I think they are they suck something fierce! Mark 7 LSC are what's needed here, the kind with the adjustable bolsters and the extendable front support for the occupant's legs. Supposedly made by Recaro too.
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                  Always wondered about how those seat belts came apart. Good exploration!

And the car is sounding better and better. How fast was that?

Thanks.

120ish on the first WOT run.

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                  Nice! So many details put into your car. Engine sounds great, everytime your transmission...found its way into the next gear, I cringed! lol
                  Thanks Phil.

I gotta look into how tightening up the TV cable works. I may tug on it a bit and see what happens. She's coming out eventually whether it be by way to poor mechanical abilities (poor TV adjustment) or torture by way of "pedal meet floor."

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  I was wondering about the latching, the difference in the buckle is what I noticed right off.

A magnet will tell you what they are made of. Slightly magnetic is stainless, really magnetic is steel. Lesser grades of stainless can rust, and different alloys are variously magnetic but none of them will pull like regular old steel will. They're probably chrome or nickel plated steel, stainless is generally more expensive and more of a PITA to work with for no benefit in that application.

I half wonder if tripminder accuracy is a function of the fuel trim correction. I don't know the name of it but there is some multiplier value that comes from the long-term trim learning that basically multiplies the fuel table by whatever amount. Maybe the further from "1.0" that multiplier is, the more screwed up the tripminder gets. It might get its output before the multiplier is considered. Honestly I've never seen a logic flow diagram for the EEC-IV processor to even have a guess as to what precisely that fuel flow output wire is reading from. I doubt its straight off the injector pulse width output because that would allow it to only work for one specific size of injector, otherwise it would be totally out to lunch.
                  Magnet test will be done to satisfy curiosity.

I have seen all of the tripminder and MAF/HO talk and just wanted to add some more data. Honesty, when I heard all of you guys talking about HOW far off things were I was going to pop in the clock delete plate I have. I will play things out and see how she does. It is useful for telling you how many miles you went (if that is even accurate!) as the police speedometer does not of a trip counter anymore.

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  Tripminder will be more off. Trust me. They always are. And there's not a way to correct the fuel flow pulses with those computers. Or so I've been told by the BIN hackers. You can modify the 'DOL' signal on the 94-95 mustang, however, there's not a confirmed output pin on the ecm for it. They say it might take place of the a/c wot relay output. Which is kind of pointless unless you don't have ac.

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  dang... that slushbox shift. Mine bangs gears better than that... but that's with the lopo. I do need more HO in my life.
                  I will try and adjust cable tension. Maybe it can firm things up a smidge. It is just a stock AOD (rebuilt to stock YEARS AND YEARS ago) with a B&M Shift Improver kit as well as a Trans-GO AOD Hi-REV kit and a 2400 Stall convertor. Was never planning on keeping the AOD.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Tripminder mileage is accurate as long as your speedometer is accurate.

Comment

I like the Fox body fly-by at the end of that 2nd run. My bad, the beginning of the 3rd run. Were you playing with him before then?

Packman
                      Last edited by packman; 06-06-2016, 05:25 PM.

Comment

That is my dads car. He was not interested in "playing."

~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

1998-2002 Sway Bar Install

Installed the 1 1/8" sway bar I pulled from a 1998 Crown Victoria in the yards.

It was not in too bad of shape to be quite honest but I stripped it down entirely and repainted it with some Ford Red.

At the same time I also upgraded the mounting situation in the chassis. I drilled and filed it out to accept the clips with bolts the newer 1998 frames utilized (this may even be found on earlier models but I cannot confirm).

I installed the sway bar with new Moog K8953 End Links as well as Energy Suspension 9.5170R 1 1/8" Poly Bushings.

Was a bit tricky tightening the bolt that goes through the spindle. Had to get a piece of wood and wrap it in a rag and use it as a pry bar between the frame and endlink to put pressure on it so the bolt would not spin while tightening the nut. It all got done and all looks good.
                          ~David~

Comment

Shiny

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So do you like the new sway bar feel?
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                Installed the 1 1/8" sway bar I pulled from a 1998 Crown Victoria in the yards.

It was not in too bad of shape to be quite honest but I stripped it down entirely and repainted it with some Ford Red.

At the same time I also upgraded the mounting situation in the chassis. I drilled and filed it out to accept the clips with bolts the newer 1998 frames utilized (this may even be found on earlier models but I cannot confirm).

I installed the sway bar with new Moog K8953 End Links as well as Energy Suspension 9.5170R 1 1/8" Poly Bushings.

Was a bit tricky tightening the bolt that goes through the spindle. Had to get a piece of wood and wrap it in a rag and use it as a pry bar between the frame and endlink to put pressure on it so the bolt would not spin while tightening the nut. It all got done and all looks good.
                                Aye, now our swaybars are like the same. Dope bro. I got lucky and didn't need to use a pry bar, though I could see how that might be needed.

Your dad seems like quite the stern character, I do appreciate the father-son bonding time on the side of an interstate. Best place to have heart to heart conversations about fuel consumption.

God it's so funny hearing your car idle in the video, since it literally sounds just like mine. I love it.

__________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                                X