No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only one who doesn't get this steam shit?

Steam powered things are actually cool, unlike panthers.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post

Steam powered things are actually cool, unlike panthers.
      I don't really get it but I think it means something along the lines of "the calm before the storm." Steam engines take a long time to actually get going but once they do, profit? Panthers aren't cool? So says the guy who just bought & spent weeks buffing up his '89 Town Car, refurbed the JBL system and then took it to a show. Yeah, I could see myself doing the same thing to a car I thought wasn't cool too.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Really like the seat belt buckles. Nice "Classic" touch
        1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
          So do you like the new sway bar feel?
          Jay, I have not driven the vehicle yet with the new setup.

Car is currently in the backyard because I need to address a couple of things. The oil pressure gauge needs to be sorted out. The oil PSI gauge for years was jumpy/unreliable.

Planning on welding in place elevator bolts to use as studs for the new sub/amp to mount to and its a bit easier if the car is in the confines of the backyard to do this type of work. Changing out the oil and installing the secondary air damn and splash shield at that time too. Sport wheels will get installed as well.

Originally posted by sly View Post
          Shiny
          Some parts more than others.....You make one part look good then others just look plain awful.

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
          Aye, now our swaybars are like the same. Dope bro. I got lucky and didn't need to use a pry bar, though I could see how that might be needed.

Your dad seems like quite the stern character, I do appreciate the father-son bonding time on the side of an interstate. Best place to have heart to heart conversations about fuel consumption.

God it's so funny hearing your car idle in the video, since it literally sounds just like mine. I love it.

Dad seen on the road and waited for me to catch up. He was just concerned with how the car was running/working.

Its a great idle sound.

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
          Really like the seat belt buckles. Nice "Classic" touch
          Thank you.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
            No, you aren't. I figure it must be a part of the two door weirdo club or something.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
              Panthers aren't cool? So says the guy who just bought & spent weeks buffing up his '89 Town Car, refurbed the JBL system and then took it to a show. Yeah, I could see myself doing the same thing to a car I thought wasn't cool too.
              Hey I don't think my beater truck is cool either, but that doesn't stop me from constantly upgrading it and at least trying to keep the interior clean enough that it kinda looks like it never gets used. Comfort and functionality and presentable looks do not cool make, not by a long shot.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              No, you aren't.
              +1, would be interesting to see it explained tho.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Some parts more than others.....You make one part look good then others just look plain awful.
                Nah. More shiny is more better. The fact that it makes other parts look dull isn't as much a problem because they were already dull. Progress is progress unless it's in Congress.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Worked 20 hours yesterday (Song Writers Hall of Fame) so I took today off as I had OT already. Only got to bed at 4am and outside at 9am the first order of business was the amp/sub install.

I wired/soldered up some power and grounds and mated those to the harness of trigger wire and RCA’s I already had prepped. After that was done it was time to mount the amp. To do so I purchased elevator bolts. They are basically a SUPER flat carriage bolt used for elevators? because they allow for tight clearances.

I drilled out the mounting positions in the amp to ¼ so the stud could fit though and then went with a 16/64 bit to allow the square shank to counter sink into the mounting feet. I then welded them in place in the trunk:

The amps rear mounts are slotted and the front ones are not. This is for ease of installation, plus the passengers side rear speaker is REALLY close to everything so I could not lay it over a stud...slots are your friends.

I sprayed some cheapie paint over everything to keep the rust down on that bare metal.

While the paint was drying I installed some nice brass right angle 3/8 barb by ¼ MPT fittings into the catch can as I was appalled by the quality of the nylon connections.

I also swapped on my LX Sport wheels:

Then went and laid the carpet over the studs and poked them through:

It is at this point that I would show you the final product but alas, I forgot to take any pictures……

Also changed out the oil….. Shimmery metallic city. Going to go 1000K now with conventional oil still and see whats up.

STill waiting to check my other oil pressure gauge to see where my problems are, waiting to install another oil catch can in line between the oil fill neck and throttle body. Also looking to get the tune even better. Warm idle is still lean and WOT is richer then it needs to be. Other than that I need to "tune" the amp/sub and go cruising.
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

First oil change? If so, not super surprising to get some metal in there. If you don't get more next oil change, I'd call it square. First change on mine had some shimmer to it. First two on the VW motor I rebuilt shined, the first one was after the cam break-in and it looked like I'd mixed antiseize in there. It was really scary looking.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Surprised guy just didn't mount the amp to the back of seat next to the spare tire. That is what I did on my box years ago and actually even in my 04. Super clean as always, just a question.
                      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                      Past Panthers
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        First oil change? If so, not super surprising to get some metal in there. If you don't get more next oil change, I'd call it square. First change on mine had some shimmer to it. First two on the VW motor I rebuilt shined, the first one was after the cam break-in and it looked like I'd mixed antiseize in there. It was really scary looking.
                        Yes. First oil change with new motor at 500+ miles. It looked like a silver anti-seize compound but runny.

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                        Surprised guy just didn't mount the amp to the back of seat next to the spare tire. That is what I did on my box years ago and actually even in my 04. Super clean as always, just a question.

That "guy" would be me. I mounted all amps and subs in this car. The current 4 channel amplifier for the speakers and the new powered infinity basslink subwoofer are all too large to mount to the back of the seat.

She bumps the bum good enough for me. The 6x9’s on the rear deck just couldn’t produce the bass I wanted to hear. This new guy fills everything in nicely. The sub comes with a bass knob that I may mount to get a bit more bass on demand. For now though I am extremely satisfied.

Gad, that green wire is annoying me near the passengers side trunk hinge. That is the trigger wire for the trunk muncher running from the trigger down t the motor. I have to fix that! Added to the never ending list.
                        ~David~

Comment

Cruised around this morning and found a neato photo op position.

I took a bunch of photos so here are just a few of my favorites and I put everything else into a short video.

And here is the video:

Noticed that the oil dipstick would blow out an inch or so after some high speed highway romps. Damn. Excessive crankcase pressure. Compression is fine, pcv and screen all good. I believe it is the stainless steel scrubbing pad I crammed in the valve cover oil fill tube. I installed that to prevent oil from entering the throttle body because the valve cover has no oil baffles but it seems as if it may be causing more issues then solutions. I have since purchased another oil catch can and plan to plumb that in line and remove the scrubbing pad. Hopefully this will solve my issues. Now I have to determine where to mount this one. I will probably end up making a custom bracket and hang it near the egr delete plate.
                          ~David~

Comment

I would still expect to see a little metal on the second change, but you shouldn't see a whole shit ton.

Looks better with the sport wheels.

Any more information on the sub itself? I'm curious since I'd like to do something similar. I'd like a couple 8" subs or maybe one 10".

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                            The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                            It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

This is one single 10". This will NOT provide crazy bass. I would recommend a stand alone amp and sub for something like that.

This is what I have in installed above: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108BASS...-BassLink.html

I got this as it fits my bill of just filling in the system....rounding it out one might say. Again this will not blow your windows out with bass at all.

Also if anyone is wondering I have a 16" mini spare in the trunk. This powered sub will likely NOT fit in place with a full size spare.
                              ~David~

Comment

I guess I didn't read the thread properly. I thought the studs you put in were for an amp not the sub. Came out great.

Not sure how "you" autocorrected to "guy" damn phones.

I can't decide which wheels look better the HPPs or the Sports. Nice having choices.
                                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                                Past Panthers
                                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Working...
                                X