No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd have said screw this shit long time ago and disconnected the fresh air inlet hose from the TB and ran it to somewhere else with its own dedicated air filter (parts houses call them breather filters). Then you only got one vacuum source for the crankcase (the PCV), and if you see any oil in the breather filter then you know you're having too much blowby for what the PCV can handle... Or you're just keeping your throttle on the floor for too long - remember the PCV closes at WOT so all the blowby has to go somewhere else, which in your current setup is the TB and thus intake.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Can't do that with mass air. it becomes an un-metered air source if you have the valve cover pulling air that doesn't flow by the MAF.

If its pulling vacuum, then the PCV is working. It may not have enough air flow into the valve cover though. The crankcase should be under very slight vacuum only. Make sure the PCV valve itself is good. If the flappy metal bit isn't in there, it'll get too much suction. If the screen isn't under the PCV valve, same thing. I ran without the screen for a bit some time ago, and when I pulled the intake I was pouring oil out of it. Since the screen has been in, no problems. I actually had it off last night. There is a faint film of oil in there, but nothing of concern. Gaskets weren't slimed up or anything like that.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Flappy bit is in there and screen is installed. Had the PCV valve in my hand this morning.

The catch can I installed between the TB and valve cover flowed both ways but unequally. It does have a direction of flow marked on it and I have it installed as air from valve cover goes into catch can then out to TB to protect from oil getting in. The flow of air from TB to valve cover is not blocked off but definitely restricted some. Maybe that is why things are sucking so hard.....

Just at a loss here. This engine runs great but has been a pain all around.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Flip the can around so it flows better from the TB to the VC and see what happens? I mean that's the easiest way to possibly notice a difference. And like I said, the PCV only shuts off during WOT conditions, most of the time it's sucking on the crankcase - if you have the catch can oriented in such a way it restricts fresh air inflow it may be crippling the PCV and causing it to shut at higher vacuum conditions than expected thus forcing the crankcase to vent thru the TB instead.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Its that time of year again. SF time! So I started making da hooptie a bit more presentable.

First on the list were paint touch ups. I had to dab some paint in a chip I created with the engine hoist on the drivers side fender, a chip on the leading edge of the hood as well as on a corner of the header panel. Hood and header panels were doozies:

Those I had to sand down some before laying in layer after layer of paint.

They will be good/better come SF time.

Next was cleaning/clay barring, compounding and waxing the rest of the car. I wanted to polish (actually I had a glaze I wanted to try out) but the weather was just too hot that the compounding was even fighting me. I just ended up using a spray wax. Oh and none of this work was preformed on any of the touched up panels. I want that paint to cure good and hard so it wont fight me when I have to work with it/blend it in.

Windows were clay barred (thanks Jim) as well rainxed. Bumpers were also clayed.

After all of that I popped open the hood and decided I finally wanted to label up the underhood fuse box so I no longer have to refer to my notes if there were any issues.

Here are the lids all tagged up thanks to my label machine.

And here are some pics of the underhood as well as the new location for the oil fill:

My fleet:

See yas soon.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have to say, I'm surprised your cosmetically inclined nature has allowed you to tolerate those AC hoses for all these years.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ugly ain't they?

Funny you mention it. It does KILL me!

I need to find the time to mask everything off and attack them. Kinda been pushing it off because of the whole masking thing. Just not fun.

Also it would be a couple day process for me.
                • Prepping the area by masking everything off
                • sanding off any flaking paint/corrosion
                • applying rust convertor (2 days dry time)
                • Scuffing everything, cleaning/prep and applying Rust encapsulator (another day)
                • Scuffing everything, cleaning/prep and applying chassis black paint.

I really want to do it. I just need to find the time and the space in the backyard to get it done. They are hideous. I also want to get a new insulation hose wrap from (insert favorite home improvement store here) in place of the convoluted tubing I have zip tied over the old failing hose wrap insulation. AND we all know that as soon as all of this work is done the lines will spring a leak and need replacing.
                ~David~

Comment

Just replace the hoses. They're not barrier hoses anyways so R134 will eventually find its way thru. I know you're still running the R12, but if the new shit holds up to the R134 then you're pretty much guaranteed to never have a leak with the R12. Provided your Shrader valves seal properly of course... Besides, how much is your time and sanity worth? The new hoses and such are under $150 from the parts houses.

Comment

You know I said something just to mess with you

+1 on new hoses though. Thats how I fixed mine being fugly. My AC was inop at the time and leaky at the joints anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      You know I said something just to mess with you

+1 on new hoses though. Thats how I fixed mine being fugly. My AC was inop at the time and leaky at the joints anyway.
                      \

I know..You like poking fun at me about those things.

If the system was a dud I would be getting new lines. I am runnin' what I got.
                      ~David~

Comment

I noticed a while back that the 4.0 in my Ranger has a large hose coming out of the VC oil fill to just behind the MAF sensor. I always wondered why such a large hose when the CV has this little copper tube. Could be that the MAP sensor needs the extra pressure somehow? I will have to mess with my valve covers and see what works best. May drill and tap a barbed fitting into the PVC pipe that I am using for the air intake and run directly out of the valve cover breather hole. Then plug the port on the oil fill tube.

Comment

That is a large breather line. I replaced the breather on my beater with fuel line or trans line... some oil-resistant hose... which made it larger than stock... but dang. Not that big.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

No reason to change how it is. There are no performance benefits to meddling with the size. Don't eliminate it either, and don't let it pull air that doesn't run by the MAF.

Comment

Wanted to start the car up this morning but the dammed thing was stone cold dead.

Trunk was open and because the battery was dead I could not even get it closed so I had to deal with it. (super tight weatherstripping does not allow the trunk to close manually) Machine needed!

Dads on vacation too so he helped me jump it with moms Envoy. Took some time but she kicked over. I then proceeded to take her out and make a fool of myself. Lol

Just noticed that was a school crossing too. Im a dope.

After all this I believe the trunk mucher motor was not closing all the way and still sucking power somehow. I say this because normally there is a nice loud click from the motor when it reached full open and full closed. Was not hearing it when reaching full closed. Made an adjustment on the sensor up at the latch and called it good after closing it and hearsing the click. I'll find out next time I guess......
                              Last edited by 87gtVIC; 08-11-2016, 12:48 PM.
                              ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                                That is a large breather line. I replaced the breather on my beater with fuel line or trans line... some oil-resistant hose... which made it larger than stock... but dang. Not that big.
                                Yah, that's what I said when I first popped the hood on the Ranger. I will see what happens when the time comes. Probably gonna run a air/oil separator like Dave. Think I might have one lying around as I had the same issues with the Olds 88. Always wanted to install it on the CV since it oils the TB pretty good.

Dave: like the rev at the end of the vid!

Comment

Working...
                                X