My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly are you referring to?

Maybe my install thread clears things up for you: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post706832
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Remember this post....with video where I comment on rev limiter or valve float being the odd noise I am hearing.....

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post780320

Turns out its just the exhaust note bouncing off of cars as I am flying past them. Put headphones on the other day and figured that one out. Means I can continue to push her.
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you hit valve float or a rev limiter, you'd know it. The factory rev limiter is something over 6000 rpm. Valve float may occur anywhere depending on the springs, but you'll feel the car running suddenly very horrible if it happens. It actually feels a fair bit like a rev limiter but its like you hit a "wall" at a certain RPM and it won't spin beyond that point. Usually goes along with a bunch of hitching and bucking, and sometimes it goes with smashed valves and wrecked valvetrain parts.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Makes sense now that you say that and I rewatch the video. Just look out for the man on your big speed excursions.

I was under the impression that eec iv didn't have a rev limiter. So they do have one?
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Theres one, but its fairly high rpm. Not sure if its actually a rev limiter or a limit of the hardware where it just simply can't fire the injectors any faster. Either way its somewhere north of 6000 rpm, which most of us are never going to hit anyway.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                What exactly are you referring to?

Maybe my install thread clears things up for you: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post706832
                Did you use the V6 TFI or your existing one. Wondering if they work on either engine. Did a quick pn search on my phone last time I went to the JY and they did not look compatible.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Theres one, but its fairly high rpm. Not sure if its actually a rev limiter or a limit of the hardware where it just simply can't fire the injectors any faster. Either way its somewhere north of 6000 rpm, which most of us are never going to hit anyway.
                  The Mustang MT ECM has a limiter @ 6250 RPM. There has been some discussion that the AT version was not limited, I can't verify that. I can say that the MT definitely has one. I experimented with using it as a 2 step back when 2 steps were not allowed in the classes I raced in. It sort of worked but was inconsistent as the R's would hit the limiter & the ECM would pull back on the fuel (scary strategy when @ full throttle) and bounce way down so you never knew how many R's it would be turning when the tree came down.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I used existing TFI.

Never even considered to use a different one. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                    Did you use the V6 TFI or your existing one. Wondering if they work on either engine. Did a quick pn search on my phone last time I went to the JY and they did not look compatible.
                    ~David~

Comment

As far as I know, the TFI doesn't really care how many cylinders are involved. There is that black module which is for a different spark control system but the grey ones all function the same. The ones intended for remote mounting have more pins on the plug since they have to get the connections from the pickup into the module as well. The dizzy-mount ones have the pins sticking straight up from the module into the PIP. Other than the connector arrangement, they work the same.

Comment

That was my speculation, so for a back up unit to chuck in the car I can grab whatever is handy (provided the pins are correct) as a backup.

Comment

I belive the bit about number of cylinders not being a concern (too lazy to look it up on a Saturday morning).
                          Also the black units are supposed to be computer controlled or something along those lines. Oddly, while I was looking for a remote mount TFI at the JY, it was hit or miss if an F150 had a black or a gray module. This was looking at the same model year trucks so I have no idea what that was all about. I don't think that many people would install the wrong replacement (they were all Motocraft and looked original to the trucks) but this is Detroit so I geuss...

As for the connector, it is actually the same for both dizzy and remote mounted modules. The remote module pulls its PIP "info" from three of the existing pins. Even on the dizzy mounted units those three pins for the PIP "info" are tied into the same three pins on the main module plug. The dizzy would still need to be changed to a remote mount unit and custom wireing but I wonder if a dizzy mounted TFI module could be used remotely with a remote mount dizzy? I wouldn't recommend it since you would then have three exposed pins on that module (even if you cut them off) unless you insulate them. If you're going to add extra cost of a remote mount dizzy there's no sense in testing this theory. The TFI is not that expensive compared to the dizzy (at least at my local JYs).

Check the post below for some more info on this topic:
                          http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...tor-Conversion
                          IIRC the links in the first post cover a bit of what I'm talking about.

Edit: Sorry for the thread jack. The Brown Blob is looking great as always.
                          Last edited by VicCrownVic; 09-17-2016, 08:33 AM.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Something about computer controlled dwell vs computer controlled advance. I forget, I read it once but all I know is they aren't the same and don't sub for one another.

Got woke up by barking dogs and a phone call from work at almost exactly the same time. At least I could walk him through the problem and didn't have to go in.

Comment

The rev limiter stock is 6250. Auto and manual. According to the programming through binary editor.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                                The rev limiter stock is 6250. Auto and manual. According to the programming through binary editor.
                                6200? How kiddish. Should be 7200.

David, you need more Ford emblems.
                                __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                                X