If you know 80-89 Town Cars ... get in here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    I wouldn't mix and match them. I've seen it done, and the lenses look out of place. Pointy on one end and flat on the other is odd. One calf-catcher bumper and one flush bumper also looks odd. It ends up looking exactly like it is: a car put together from mismatched parts.
    my thoughts exactly!

Comment

I would definitely use the stronger 80 to 84 bumpers. The newer ones are weak and don't protect the corners. I also like the mark vi fenders and lights and rear. Or just do the mark vi front end and switch the rear bumper for older one

Comment

I really hate those old bumpers. Looks like someone screwed up a metric to standard conversion and made them about a foot too wide for the car.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          no pics, but there used to be one driving around here. I think it was an 84 that hit something, and it's front end was put together with later parts since it was a different color. It looked really stupid to me.
          I've seen the opposite: An '89 with part of an '84 front clip. (look at the pass. side cornering lamp)

Click image for larger version

Name:	0902140309.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1273709

Wrecked again less than two months later

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0484.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	1273710

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
          2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
          2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

that looks amazingly terrible LOL
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wow, its sad that I now like the '85-'89 lights better.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I prefer the sharper look of the 80-84 taillights and parking lights too but I'm with gadget73, the bumpers are just too wide. Would it be possible to keep my flush bumpers and swap just the extensions, taillights and rear reflector section or would it all have to be swapped?
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

yes, but it would need some work. The extension piece with the lens in it just bolts in. The trick is the fill panel under the lamps. Its not shaped properly for the early lights, and the early one is not shaped for the smaller bumper. I expect the fix is modding a late fill panel to match up with the early lights.

the rear should also be a matter of bolting the extension piece in, but I haven't studied the fill panels and such close enough to know exactly what, if anything, needs doing back there. I don't think the reflector panel has anything to do with it, unless you just want to change it. If you do, you'll need to come up with something for reverse lamps. early cars had the lamps in the bumper, late are in the reflector panel.

Comment

Oh yeah.. Guess I'd take the 85-87 tail panel as I like the reverse lights in the center more than how the 88-89's are. It would be cool but eh, I don't have the space to modify anything so I'd have to farm that out. Body work isn't cheap............. If only I had tons of money, man wouldn't life be fun? Lol
                    Last edited by gadget73; 10-08-2014, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Wraparound bumpers are awesome! :p Subjective of course

I hit a concrete center divider with my old 87 Grand Marquis and all that happened was, it bent in the 'wrap' bit.

Pete
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        Oh yeah.. Guess I'd take the 85-87 tail panel as I like the reverse lights in the center more than how the 88-89's are. It would be cool but eh, I don't have the space to modify anything so I'd have to farm that out. Body work isn't cheap............. If only I had tons of money, man wouldn't life be fun? Lol
                        the parts that woul have to be modified are plastic, and fairly easily removed from the car. Its car-width, by a couple inches deep. The center panel is a bolt-in swap. A bunch of nuts on the nside of the trunk, and a lot of little screws from the bottom side. Its one of those things thats difficult more for the dirt that will fall in your face than anything else.

sorry for the edit on the original post, clicked the wrong button. It should be the same as what you put there, I just had a stupid moment.

Comment

Mr G73,
                          I thought you said those plastic panels would have to be modified, sure looks like they would. I could see that the extensions should fit no problem but some work would have to be done to mate the shorter plastic bumper cover thing up to the taillights... I dunno? If I ever saw one in a yard I'd rip it apart to play around with the idea. I also tried getting a center section for Ashley's towncar and I got all those 10mm bolts off but it still wouldn't budge, looked like the bumper would of had to come off as well so I gave up. Oh, after looking again I think I'd rather just covert the rear, I like the later style front end better although having hideaway headlights like a Mk. VI would be pretty cool.

Comment

the plastic parts would have to be modified, but you can probably do that yourself. They're handily not that large, and I don't expect it would be terribly involved to carefully cut away at the plastic to get it to work.

Comment

Hmm. If all I've gotta do is cut and then apply a bit of cover up paint that could work! I'll investigate but here in Michigan Panthers of that vintage are rare in the yards..

Comment

Working...
                              X