spring rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spring rates

questions? Umm im doin the suspension with sum circle track parts and plan on using 1000#-1200# spring rate in the front with a 9.5'' tall spring and big sway bar and sum nice shocks undecided on which ones yet, A big sway bar in the back and using the 5'' spring mounting pads and switching to a 5'' dia. spring in the rear what spring rate should i go with in the rear thinkin about maybe 750#-850# ? would like to get it handling very well but dont want to go to stiff in the rear cause that cant promote oversteer which is lots of fun but not good for a daily. so input on spring rate and shock choice? thanks

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Wow.

You might want to re-read (or read) the FAQs.

750-850 is more than triple (almost 4 times) the rear rate any of us would consider running. I don't understand why you want to convert to a 5" pad on th rear.

9.5" spring in the front more than likely would just rattle around as the car sat on the stops.

As for the rear swaybar, there is one stock mount option-the police bar. Anything else will need to be custom made.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

you will want more like 12" springs. 9.5 could be used but you will be opening a can of worms. Going for a daily driver more like 200 to 250 lbs rear.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

well i like thing very very low and no one makes a pigtail spring in the rear that is the height and rate that i want. I relize its a really high rate but i think a lower rate might still be to soft i have no idea though is there no weight on the rear at all is the gm not even close to 50/50 whats the wieght dist. but hmm cowtown cowboy his car sits a good hieght for me just thoughts let me know again?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

sedan is about 1500 rear 2500 front from the factory

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
            well i like thing very very low and no one makes a pigtail spring in the rear that is the height and rate that i want. I relize its a really high rate but i think a lower rate might still be to soft i have no idea though is there no weight on the rear at all is the gm not even close to 50/50 whats the wieght dist. but hmm cowtown cowboy his car sits a good hieght for me just thoughts let me know again?
            Yeah, well, he had to do a bunch more mods to make that ride hieght work...

I would suggest Blazes combo. 925lb/in 12" and 225's or whatever it says. That's even a bit stiff for a DD.

No wieght= not very much spring needed. I don't think Cowtown is running different style springs....

I'm running 180-200lb stock replacement springs on the back of my wagon an outhandle most cars around.

Comment

there is one guy i know that lower his car 3" all the way around and is a road race car only. He had a hell of a time with the front suspension and its geometry. Also if you went over a speed bump the frame woud probably hit in the middle. If it was all that streetable i would already have done it

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                there is one guy i know that lower his car 3" all the way around and is a road race car only. He had a hell of a time with the front suspension and its geometry. Also if you went over a speed bump the frame woud probably hit in the middle. If it was all that streetable i would already have done it

That's prolly Cowtown Cowboy, he's on CVN... Blue 84 Interceptor right?

Comment

I'm running 700 front and 180 rear and its plenty stiff with sway bars. And it still has a slight tendency to oversteer but I like it that way.
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS
                  flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Good info guys sorry didnt relize about the weight dist. on these cars as were my confusion began. but going low is now prob i have spent ALOT of time bagging trucks building frames and control arm and such no biggie to chop sumthin up. But i dont think i wanna put bags on this thing i wanna stay static. So how does 925 up front and 250-300 in the back ? also did some more reading as suggested thanks mrltd haha and think will go with QA1 shocks up front and i think the heavy 7 valving ? And i dunno about the rear yet on shocks. I also think a waggin front sway bar with a PI rear ?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

200-225 should be good in the back.

Might want to go 1 softer for the shocks. Mine is just a hair to harsh on rough roads.

swaybars are good, best stock ones you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                        That's prolly Cowtown Cowboy, he's on CVN... Blue 84 Interceptor right?
                        Dont rember his name but think he is racing up in Canada 406 stroked 351.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                          Good info guys sorry didnt relize about the weight dist. on these cars as were my confusion began. but going low is now prob i have spent ALOT of time bagging trucks building frames and control arm and such no biggie to chop sumthin up. But i dont think i wanna put bags on this thing i wanna stay static. So how does 925 up front and 250-300 in the back ? also did some more reading as suggested thanks mrltd haha and think will go with QA1 shocks up front and i think the heavy 7 valving ? And i dunno about the rear yet on shocks. I also think a waggin front sway bar with a PI rear ?
                          I run 1000 lbs up front and 250 rear. The installed height of the 12' spring up front ends up about 13" the QA1s at least the non adjustable ones are either too long or too short to be in the right static height. The short ones if i remember correctly dont have enough travel and could hit the bump stops. some of that depends on just how much cornering force the car can generate.

Big issue is the front upper arms bolt down through the top of the frame. the upper arm is the one that needs the inner piviot lowered requires sectioning of the frame and stock car mounting plates added tublar stock car upper a arms. ... Its best to have a suspension design softwear to work out all the issues ..helped my friend do it for his oval track car worked out great

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                            Dont rember his name but think he is racing up in Canada 406 stroked 351.

Yes, that's Cowtown Cowboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride View Post
                              I'm running 700 front and 180 rear and its plenty stiff with sway bars. And it still has a slight tendency to oversteer but I like it that way.
                              +1 .... 700 lb/in police springs on a 3600-3700 pound car can feel quite stiff on the street. Been thinking about swapping them with the 440 pounders in the wagon in hopes that both cars would be more in their element.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X