Choppy Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choppy Ride

So over the past year or so, the wagon's ride has been getting harder and choppier, like it's running on a really awful road all the time. bam-bam-bam.
    So I finally got around to replacing all the shock absorbers with kyb gr2 police spec shocks. However, while I can feel the shocks doing their work, and the car is somewhat flatter through corners than it was with regular (and one blown) shocks, I still get this really choppy ride--feels like I'm riding in a massage chair going down the road. The car handles fine, and I just had the tires balanced about 6 weeks ago. Any ideas?

is this a classic symptom of needing new coils? I have no idea whether the coils on this vehicle have ever been replaced. I thought old coils would be too soft and start to sag, rather than the opposite.
    Last edited by 91waggin; 12-11-2008, 07:59 PM.
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

There are so many things that all add up. Due to the age, most (and usually all) of the bushings are shot. It could and probably does need springs, but generally that just makes for a mushy ride
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I get the feeling of an almost constant vibration as I'm going down the road above 35 or so. I can hear my tools rattling in the back pretty much constantly. Would shot bushings cause this kind of behavior? And which bushings specifically?
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

With that much vibration, I would get under it and try to move anything you can get hold of. Get somebody to jump up and down on it so you can see if anything is loose. It sounds like something is about to break.
        89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

check your trany mount, mine is shot on the merc and gives the car a shitty vibration too

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

that sounds like a driveshaft or wheel issue.

Comment

Frame rusted around trany cossmember, torq boxes, sometimes splits at the top of the frame were it cant be seen.
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

bad wheel-bearings??
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

How are the tires? Have the wheels been balanced?
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                    check your trany mount, mine is shot on the merc and gives the car a shitty vibration too
                    Sounds possible. Is this mostly at freeway speeds? that's where mine has

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                      Frame rusted around trany cossmember, torq boxes, sometimes splits at the top of the frame were it cant be seen.
                      There's no rust on this thing--it's been a garage queen its whole life, and so far as I can tell, there's no rust anywhere.

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                      bad wheel-bearings??
                      just did them

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                      How are the tires? Have the wheels been balanced?
                      About two months ago.

Comment

The only thing that really comes to mind is a bad belt in one of the tires. But you would imagine the shop that balanced the wheels would notice this.

Unless of course it started to happen at some point after getting them balanced...
                        1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                        1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                        1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Even with no visible rust, if the A/C was used the frame is probably rotted bad.. It's a common bad spot on these cars.

I'd check everything mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                            Even with no visible rust, if the A/C was used the frame is probably rotted bad.. It's a common bad spot on these cars.

That's mainly a northern Box problem. I've yet to see even one here that was rusted completely out, and I always check the ones I find at the junk yards as well. All of the boxes I have owned personally have not been rusty at all inside of the Bulkheads, or around the tranny crossmember, the A/C was used quite abit in the past as well.

Comment

AC rot is a problem everywhere, the more south you get the worse it gets. Hotter climate generally leads to more AC usage. The worse victim of that rot I've ever seen was from Virginia. Another Virginia car I know of rotted so bad the frame broke in half when the car slid into a ditch.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X