What's a broken spring sound like ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a broken spring sound like ?

I have a squeak or creak. It happens over bumps and when turning the wheels. The first thing I was told was control arm bushings.Now I believe the logic that drew that conclusion was sound,we may have just been thinking about different sounds.

Well today I have had enough and finally crawled under the car and put my ear to the area.One ear on ground and one ear up to the control arm. And I definitely hear the sound coming from the spring "well" area. Both shock bolts are there and tightened up.

My car sounds like an old bed. I can't see any cracks in the spring from just underneath it, I count 4 coils I can see clearly.

My car also sits level in the front.

There is no mistaking where this sound is coming from. I just dont know why ?

If I face the undercarriage I can hear the sound on my left at the shock mount and not on my right where the C-arm bushings are. My bushings also look fine, Not all smashed up and cracked like the 97's were.

I have a cracked garage floor,cold weather and barely any room.So I am trying to do as much diagnosing before I fire up the heaters and apply 3 layers of clothes.

If someone can explain how to get the YT tags to work I can post a video of this.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6v-UPObICs

Thanks...thats better.
      Last edited by Rizzo; 12-12-2008, 06:15 PM.

Comment

for your video
        you would use this tag.
        {yt}A6v-UPObICs{/yt}

but you replace the { with [
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Ball joints are shot. Control arm bushings will only do it up/down, not turning the wheel. I would replace them very soon, when they creak that bad it means they're totally dry, probably full of rust, and approacing that 'surprise, spindle no longer attached to the control arm' point while you're on the highway.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

i have heard this sound from the outer tie rod ends also.......same with the ball joints, they run out of grease and get rusty and nasty inside

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thank you guys,

Upper ball joint fixed it.

Dear god, I have heard this since before Thanksgiving...Been driving around thinking it was the control arm bushing...

God favors the foolish.

Comment

gadda love non greasable suspention components lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                  X