Coolant leak, lh rear of drivers head. 1989 302

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant leak, lh rear of drivers head. 1989 302

just traded a tenner for a 1989 crown vic. with a 302?

its got a coolant leak on the drivers side rear its up high? i really cant find it.

is there a freeze plug that high?
    any real big history of intake leaks?
    or head gaskets popping?
    it pisses out untill it reaches a certain level then i can drive it half full.
    which i wont do, the guy that owned it before me had his old lady drivin it around all the damn time half low.

i filled it up and drove it home.
    ran like a raped ape.
    mind you its open manifolds

also someone told me theres a coolant hardline running back there?

any suggestions accepted.

but no, i wont use bars leak, or put a egg in my radiator.
    eff that.

ive tried searching with no avail.
    any help appreciated.

im at the point where if i gotta pull the motor i will, but i really want to do that last.

i want to get rid of all the smog garbage as well.
    air pump, extractors whatever can be removed.

Drivers side rear up high...probably the intake gasket where the lower intake goes into the cylinder head. If it was pass. side it might be a heater hose or something.

Solution: Pull the upper intake manifold (6 bolts and some hoses) and get a GOOD look back there.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

whats up with the tags in this post? lol
      Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Theres a couple things back there. There is a freeze plug on the back of the head. The intake gaskets could be rotted, or the coolant hose for the EGR spacer could be bad. I would start with the rubber hose just because its simple as hell to fix, and go from there.

If you look at the throttle body on the car, just behind where the tube goes to the air filter, you will see two rubber hoses that dissapear to the manifold. One goes over to the heater pipe on the passenger side, the other goes to a fitting at the rear driver's side corner of the manifold. Just follow the hoses and you'll see where they go.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Chiltons

Anyone got a teardown PDF?

Comment

these cars were built before electronic documentation unfortunately. Paper manuals are your friend
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X