car falls on face at full throttle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car falls on face at full throttle...

Normal driving, no issues. But when you put it to the floor and it gets higher up in the range, it just falls right on it's face and gags pretty bad.

I originally thought the TPS had a dead spot higher up in the RPM range, so I finally pulled it yesterday and tested it. Tested fine.

I've decided to replace my fuel pressure regulator, as it acts as if it's not getting enough fuel. It has a new fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel pump relays so I don't know of too much else that could be causing it to act like this. I replaced all of them back in spring. It also has under 5k on the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Under 2k on it's new timing set.

Any ideas, or directions of where else I should look? I want this thing running top for spring when I get her back off of storage insurance.
    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Valve float is pretty common on these engines when you go into the upper RPM.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Still could easily be fuel filter.

What RPM are we talking about. "High" rpm on these cars is 4500 rpm
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Feels like it's around the high 3's and low 4's. Sometimes it's not as bad as others too.

Comment

Fuel filter would be the first thing I'd change, especially if you haven't been driving the car much lately. Ethanol fuel sucks up water pretty badly, and water will all collect at the fuel filter.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll try that then. I'll take back the pressure regulator and get a fuel filter.

Hell, for the amount of work it looks like I'll need to do to put on the regulator... might as well throw a 4bbl on there lol.

Comment

if its not fuel related id head towards ignition problems. bad distributer, advance not kicking in after 3k.

Comment

No advance mechanism on a CFI car other than the electronic stuff built into the computer. Nothing inside the distributor moves, other than the rotor itself. Its just a stationary pickup and the reluctor wheel.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

so i guess htat elimintates any sort of advance besides the duraspark nonsense?

Comment

No duraspark either, same distributor and ignition system as a SEFI car. It uses a TFI module and the computer electronically controls the timing.

Comment

Working...
                    X