PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Door window weather stripping

Default Door window weather stripping

The weather stripping around the windows onthe doors has become dryand brittle, I went to autozone to see if I could buy new one or have them orderd and they said no... Besides a junk yard is there any place to get new ones.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...atherstripping

Ford no longer makes them, in fact people have been loking for them for years. I was lucky enough to be the last person to purchase a drivers side window run channel for my two door. But have no fear the link above should solve your problems. A fellow GMNr (well resident moderator: GMGT) used iirc style #20 for his two door MGM. If you go this route, well it is the only route you have, please post up the results because i too am in the market for the same thing only on the passengers side door.
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 01-14-2009 at 07:03 AM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Style 20 is for the channels. What weatherstripping are you referring to?
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Do you mean the dew wipes? The weather stripping on the sill of the door, resting against the window, or the stuff inside the door?
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar, GT40 Intakes With Remanufactured GT40P Heads, Contour Cooling Fans, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, Working A/C, Big Front Brake Swap, more mods to come soon!

the channel strip all around the window, and the one that sits on the door panel and the one on the bottom of the window on the outside. when i roll my windows down and stick out my arm it broke the outside strip and now water goes through like crazy. its that way on all the doors. i was hoping there was an alternative to these that you could buy.

Definitely Style 20, eh? I had thought 22 looked more like it, but you would know.

No difference between different bodystyles, I presume (hope?)?

I eagerly await information on dew wipes .....
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Click below to buy my cool '81 LTD:

Quote Originally Posted by taylorendicott View Post
    the channel strip all around the window, and the one that sits on the door panel and the one on the bottom of the window on the outside. when i roll my windows down and stick out my arm it broke the outside strip and now water goes through like crazy. its that way on all the doors. i was hoping there was an alternative to these that you could buy.
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/INNER-AND-O...3814_10101.jcw

We have been through this a couple of times, and yet cannot come up with a definitive answer to which style (dew wipe) will do the job. I am sure we are all in need of this information. In order to accomplish this on your car you will have to remove the door panels, remove any screws retaining the metal trim in place; remove the assembly and the remove the staples retaining the fabric to the metal trim. Then I can imagine you measure the old to the newly ordered and either rivet or re staple the fabric dew wipe back. If you go thorough with this in a well documented manner I am sure this will be sticked, due to the ever wanting of information regarding the topic.
    ~David~

My Marquis needs new Window Channels pretty badly in the DS front door. I'm gonna go with style 22, since it is the closest looking one to the stock pieces.
    89 Lincoln Town Car Signature Ragtop - 5.0 HO swapped, many mods...

I assume the window channel just slips into the metal channel in the door or does it glue in, this is all new to me. And what you call the dew wipe is there nothing to replace it or maybe something you can use to fabricate one?

On the jc Whitney web site they have a page for inner and outer belt weather strippingcould that be the dew wipe on the bottom of the window or Is that something completely different...

I assume the window channel just slips into the metal channel in the door or does it glue in, this is all new to me.
    The window channel does just slip into the metal channel in the door where the glass sits. You may just have to cut to size the corners, so it all sits flush with the channel in the door.

And what you call the dew wipe is there nothing to replace it or maybe something you can use to fabricate one?
    Here are some pictures of the dew wipe assemble removed from a two door Crown Victoria. As you can see it is a piece of metal. attached to that piece of metal is the fabric dew wipe.

Here you can see the assembly still attached to a door.

This is the link to replacement dew wipe material. this is the closest you are going to get. You are not going to find the entire assembly (metal and fabric) anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/INNER-AND-O...3814_10101.jcw

We have been through this a couple of times, and yet cannot come up with a definitive answer to which style (dew wipe) will do the job. I am sure we are all in need of this information. In order to accomplish this on your car you will have to remove the door panels, remove any screws retaining the metal trim in place; remove the assembly and the remove the staples retaining the fabric to the metal trim. Then I can imagine you measure the old to the newly ordered and either rivet or re staple the fabric dew wipe back. If you go thorough with this in a well documented manner I am sure this will be sticked, due to the ever wanting of information regarding the topic.

On the jc Whitney web site they have a page for inner and outer belt weather strippingcould that be the dew wipe on the bottom of the window or Is that something completely different...
    if this is the link you are talking about.......http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...atherstripping......indeed that is "inner and outer belt weather stripping could that be the dew wipe on the bottom of the window." But it is not made for our application so it does not matter.

We gave you all the information and the links you need. Now you just have to choose which styles you think are going to work.
    ~David~

Oh and to make it interesting here is a picture of the Drivers side window run channel i have.
    ~David~

27 is more like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
    27 is more like that.

then why did you use style 20
    ~David~

It worked at the time, still does.

now we just need someone to test style 27 and get some feedback.
    ~David~

I'm told JC Whitney will send you samples. I need to install some in my vic, so i'll def need some.

By all means become a pioneer in the field of box panther weather-stripping.
    ~David~

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Oh and to make it interesting here is a picture of the Drivers side window run channel i have.

Actually, that looks more like style 26. I think I'm gonna go with 26 now, I will report back after I install them. Thanks for posting the pic, btw.

89 Lincoln Town Car Signature Ragtop - 5.0 HO swapped, many mods...

yes please do, we are all eager t find out!
    ~David~

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast