Clear All

Yep..you sure needed them.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The guy who is painting Moby2 said if we got the material he would do it for us. He said it is not difficult.
      "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach​ a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day."

Comment

Good deal. Just whatever you do when you get the vehicle back from paint make sure to carefully check the operation of the window. There are very tight tolerances of clearance between the window and dew wipe. If "your guy" uses fasteners to long you will scratch up the window very fast.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          Good deal. Just whatever you do when you get the vehicle back from paint make sure to carefully check the operation of the window. There are very tight tolerances of clearance between the window and dew wipe. If "your guy" uses fasteners to long you will scratch up the window very fast.
          Thanks for that heads up. We can't wait to get the car back all painted and rust holes gone. I will certainly post pics.
          "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach​ a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day."

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            What I ordered for the Towncar was either WC16-96 or WC15-72. I can't find the receipt to confirm which it was, but I know it was one of those two.
            Originally posted by marquisman View Post
            im comparing the two part numbers. basicly, the difference is the width. one is 3/8s of an inch wide, the other is at 7/16s.
            Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            yeah, it wasn't much difference. I seem to recall measuring the stock stuff somewhere in between those dimensions.
            Might as well post this here.

I have skimmed quite a few posts to arrive at my outstanding questions with regard to a Town Car.

Please excuse how awful this is, but, using the colour-coded lines I drew on each section of window frame...

Red: no window channel due to sliding metal sleeve attached to glass.
            Green: WC 33 (sold in 96" length, hence 33-96)
            Blue: 33
            Purple: 33
            Yellow: 33
            Pink: 16 or 15 (16 sold in 96" length, 15 sold in 72" length)
            Orange: 16 or 15
            White: unclear, but probably 33?

Do we have a definitive answer available about 15 vs 16 for the Lincoln vent window post? 16 is about double the price of 15, so if 15 works, that'd be a good thing.

It was addressed that Ford/Mercury vent window posts do not require the same downsized window channel as found on the Lincolns, which is good.
            Last edited by kishy; 06-01-2018, 01:07 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
            | 88 TC | 91 GM
            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

Cant speak for the lincolns but I will say it again for the CV GMQ's (two doors at least)....33-96 works great all around. Sticks out a tad in what would be your pink color but I think its fine. One solid piece for the entire frame is what I wanted and this gets you there.

Anyone doing this. Pro tip: cut many slits in the backside of the material where a bend will take place. Do not..DO NOT cut all the way through. Much cleaner install when the window channel weather stripping is one continuous piece.
              ~David~

Comment

Yes, your photos and commentary on the fitment of 33 (WC 33-96) for the non-Lincolns entirely, and most of a Lincoln, are absolutely vital information.

Though I did get a little confused by an early remark you made in this thread (8 years ago lol) about 33 being no good (specifically, "way off"), but I think you were referring to a different one since 33 is the go-to choice.

My concerns about the Lincoln are basically...

1 - do the front and back sides of the vent window post use the smaller window channel? I could probably measure this, but my car is outside and I am not, and someone here may already know the answer.

2 - does the front side of the vent window use the larger window channel (same as rest of normal window frame)? I suspect the answer is yes because it's the outer window frame, but it may be best not to assume this.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                  Yes, your photos and commentary on the fitment of 33 (WC 33-96) for the non-Lincolns entirely, and most of a Lincoln, are absolutely vital information.

Though I did get a little confused by an early remark you made in this thread (8 years ago lol) about 33 being no good (specifically, "way off"), but I think you were referring to a different one since 33 is the go-to choice.
                  Hmm. You'd have to point it out for me as I have no recollection or time right now to find it.
                  ~David~

Comment

Hmm. You'd have to point it out for me as I have no recollection or time right now to find it.

I dont know but I have received a free sample from them of some WC 33-96 and that was way off. I dont want to continue asking for free samples lol.
                    Okay I am going to be returning WC 21-96 in exchange for WC 33-96. I already have a sample of WC 33-96 and it was pretty snug in the vent window frame BUT it fit perfectly in the rest of the window channel so I will just order that one and be happy rather than make this shit work.
                    It was just a tighter fit than the rest of the door frame. I only have a 4 inch or so sample to make these claims......but I rather have it tighter than loose, and the WC 21-96 was loose as hell.

Here are some pictures of WC 33-96 Installed in my old window frame. You can see it fits great and just about looks identical to the original stuff. It is a nice snug fit too, which will be even snugger in the vent window channel frame.

<snip>

Guys I think we found the one.
                    Interesting that you found it a tighter fit on the vent window post. Maybe this means 33 can be used on the Lincolns for that, except it's just a little snug.

2x 33-96 are in transit to me now, I'd have bought more but it's all Amazon had in stock when I ordered.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Gotchya. I guess I just settled as it was the best I could find?

EDIT: I re read the thread and Brownmuscle (Phil) presented the same question you did. I answered by I made my initial remarks against 33-96 because i strictly tested it in a spare vent window frame I had and NOT in the entire window frame. In the end it was the best compromise. Fits fantastic everywhere and fits good at the vent window frame.

Yeah. 33 96 is tight in the vent window post AND it does not sit as deep as it does along the rest of the frame. Sticks out a tiny bit but I am very happy with it over broken dried up old pieces.
                      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-01-2018, 05:17 PM.
                      ~David~

Comment

Got a caliper? If so its easy enough to confirm the channel width, just pull the old stuff out and measure the inside channel width. If not I can go pull mine later today and measure it. I just remember not being able to make the wider stuff fit in there on my car. Don't remember if I ever tried to run the glass up or not but it definitely wasn't going in like I felt it should have.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I can't pull mine out, every time I touch it, it crumbles. Not flexible at all anymore. It is visibly thinner than the rest of the window frame channel though, so that much I had suspected going into it. I suppose at this point even ill-fitted would be better than what's there, so I might just give the cheaper #15 (15-72) a try.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                          | Junkyards

Comment

Checked mine. Main channels are 5/8 x 5/8, the dividing bar is 1/2 x 1/2.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                              I can't pull mine out, every time I touch it, it crumbles. Not flexible at all anymore. It is visibly thinner than the rest of the window frame channel though, so that much I had suspected going into it. I suppose at this point even ill-fitted would be better than what's there, so I might just give the cheaper #15 (15-72) a try.

Hello kishy have you tried the #15 weatherstrips for the vent windows of your TC?

Thanks,

Gerald
                              1988 Lincoln Town Car
                              1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV

Comment

Figured I would add to this thread as it seems the most appropriate.
                                For replacing the window channel seals, does it require the removal of the window glass? Or can it be done with the glass in, just by breaking up the old seal and pushing the new seal in around the window?

Thanks!
                                1986 Country Squire
                                1969 Mercury Cougar
                                1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Comment

Working...
                                X