Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh so it's just generic silicone stuff? right on. thanks
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Well I try to use Permitex as I had good experience with it. Not sure how well other brands are, but I never had one complaint with this stuff.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thats what i used today...black silicone by Permatex. seemed to work ok...I'll find out when i squirt it with a hose tmmrw
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Me too

floor drain is good now... weather stripping + silicone then some spraying under first, then spraying the door to test
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

When checking for leaks it is always good to stay inside the car with a flashlight while a buddy sprays the car from the outside.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

good advice, mines sealed up dead tight...tighter then even my weatherstripping...haha. Did the other side today
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

I'm giving mine a day before I hit it with any water....is it proper/improper to use the permatex stuff on the entire door frame, or just in spots, or what? i went all around the door, figured that was the right way to go about it
                sigpic

Comment

I just used it in the corner where i had to cut the channel to make it bend properly... i dont see anything wrong with going all the way around, will make it more secure...by the same token harder to remove( you know in the next 20 years when itll need it again XD)
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                    I just used it in the corner where i had to cut the channel to make it bend properly... i dont see anything wrong with going all the way around, will make it more secure...by the same token harder to remove( you know in the next 20 years when itll need it again XD)

I did all around the door then in the top corner where I tracked the leak to, I used an abundance. Shut the door and hit it with a hairdryer to get it to happen a little bit quicker and I'm not opening the door until tomorrow at the earliest. It either fixed it or I'll have to use more

The next step to fixing leaks on this door is welding it shut like the General Lee.
                    sigpic

Comment

I haven't opened the rear passenger door to look at it but the Permatex sealed any spots in my drivers door weather stripping REAL good. I'm going to wait the full 24 before I check it out and hit it with water.

this stuff ROCKS. it looks like the tar monster that ate tasha yar, but it works.
                      sigpic

Comment

tar monster hehe
                        that was a good episode... but the loss of tasha was a major bummer

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just to bring this one back around, how much felt does each door take? Is a single 96" piece enough to do a window, or do I need more? I'm figuring on one per large glass, and splitting one for the two front drop vents.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Just to bring this one back around, how much felt does each door take? Is a single 96" piece enough to do a window, or do I need more? I'm figuring on one per large glass, and splitting one for the two front drop vents.
                            I know it took two full pieces for the front two doors...I'm pretty sure i only needed to split one for the rear, as it doesnt rap all the way around the window for the rears (in mine at least) The towncar may be different, If it doesnt have that solid sliding piece in towards the rear of the car you will most likely need 4 pieces to do the whole car

(for clarification these pix show the piece i am talking about in the rear windows)

Attached Files
                            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I ordered the WC 33-96 material from Metro Moulded Products this afternoon. I figured I would call and order it from an actual human being, instead of doing it all on the website. However, I would recommend completing your order on the internet. The price was $1.00 more per 96" section over the phone and the shipping was quoted almost $3.00 more than the website calculated. I didn't feel like arguing, but its an easy way for you guys to save $5.00 in the future!

BTW, Thanks ALOT for all the research and documentation put into gathering this information. I'm not a huge fan of trial and error, and you guys saved me alot of time & effort. Nice job!

I will be sure to snap a few installation pics and the results with my new window channel material and vent shades!

Comment

I have 3 pieces sitting here waiting for me to get them to my car for installation.

BTW, if anyone cares, Fox Mustang trunk weatherseal fits boxes. latemodelresto's cut to fit seal is cheaper than MMPI's trunk seal too by about 20 bucks.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X