LTDMan's '87 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (Big Red) *DUW*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LTDMan's '87 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (Big Red) *DUW*

Here is the most recent and permanent addition to my car collection. Acquired from a local GMN member (87mercman).

a 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, nicknamed "Big Red" by her former owner.

Built at the St.Thomas assembly plant in Canada, and then shipped to Cloverleaf Lincoln-Mercury in Decatur,AL in 1986. Were she was Originally sold to the grandparents of the guy that I bought her from (87mercman). She is allmost fully Loaded, and originally sold for $18,193 according to the window sticker sheet. The car is factory painted Midnight Canyon Red Metallic, with a Canyon Red Velour Interior. Big Red has 205,744 miles on her as of today.

Current Mods: (All these mods were performed by the previous owner(s).

-Engine transplant - 5.0L HO (from a '91 T-Bird)
    -Mass Air Conversion using a Mustang A9S ECU & 70mm MAF
    -Injectors replaced w/ new Ford Motorsports 19lb'ers
    -Stock air-box replaced w/ a WAI & K&N cone filter
    -1/2in" intake spacer
    -Dual Exhaust w/ stock 2in H-pipe/ Hollowed Cats/ & Imco Turbo mufflers.
    -Aftermarket 1.25in" Rear Sway Bar installed
    -Coil-Over Towing Shocks installed in the rear
    -Voltage, Oil Pressure, Coolant Temp, and Tach Gauges installed
    -AOD rebuilt (58,612 miles on it since the rebuild)

Here she is loaded onto the Ford F-350 Roll-back that helped me to save her. Just like last time, a Ford helping to save a Ford. Only cost me $70 in Diesel to get her back to my place.

Big Red's Current Condition. The paint has been sanded off the top of the car, primered, and is now starting to rust in some spots, but as most of you know I'm in autobody work, so doing bodywork/painting a car at anytime is not a problem for me. The body is Straight, with no accident damage whatsoever that I can find. Big Red has been a southern car it's entire life, and is amazingly Solid. Easily 98% Rust-Free on the Rustification scale.

Stock LS Interior, in Red Velour. Was partially disassembled when I first got the car. At this point I have only re-assembled the door panels/dash trim, cleaned out all the trash, and gave it a quick vacuum job. The interior is in decent shape, and something I can definitely work with. I will be fully restoring the stock Interior in this one.

While the DS door panel was off, I went ahead and replaced the dead Power Window motor, with a Fully Rebuilt one. Had to lengthen the wires, as this motor was meant for the PS rear door.

5.0L HO Engine from a '91 T-Bird, has also been MAF Converted, using a Mustang A9S ECU & 70mm MAF. According to the maintenance records the engine had 45K miles on it when it was installed in this car, and the car has been driven 68,789 miles since the engine was installed, so all told this HO engine only has around 113,000 total miles on it. Which means it still has quite abit of life left, before it will need to be rebuilt. Still has the stock lopo Upper Intake/EGR/TB and Exhaust Manifolds, which I will be replacing with an HO Upper Intake/63mm Bored Box EGR/Modified Mustang 60mm TB. I am probibly gonna go with Ceramic Coated shorty headers, instead of the stock mustang HO units.

Nice, Rust-Free Undercarriage and Floorpans, just how I like em. Only a light coating of grease and dust on there.

100% Rust-Free PS A/C Drain Bulkhead, common to southern boxes.

The Dual Exhaust is nice and tucked up against the undercarriage, and can't be seen while looking at the car from the side, which is how I like it. I will be keeping all of this, and adding custom 2 1/4in tailpipes. If someone had just thrown a low-hanging Mustang Exhaust on there, it would be getting cut off right about now. The 4 stock cats are gutted, and I will be keeping at least 2 of them as part of the exhaust system, no matter what upgrades I may do, as this car will be a DD.

Coil-Over Towing Shocks.

Aftermarket 1.25in Rear Sway Bar

Big Red's former owner Chris (87mercman), wanted the car to go to a good home, and didn't really care about the price, so he was nice enough to sell me Big Red for only $50, and with a few extras in the trunk as well. I especially appreciate the (very clean on the inside) HO Upper Intake, and low-mileage Trac-Loc Unit. I will install the 4in Alpine speakers in Big Red's front doors and dash, as well.

Nothing really spectacular will be going on with this one, I will basically just be restoring the car to Nice Condition, doing a few mods, and then Daily Driving it once I'm done.

Things I will be doing to the car:

-Maintenance & Repair
    -Complete Interior Restoration
    -Replacing the lopo Upper Intake w/ the clean Mustang HO Upper Intake (which came with the car)
    -Installing the Trac-Loc Unit (which came with the car) (keeping the stock 3.27 Gears)
    -Installing an HO Governer or Shift Kit
    -Installing Shorty Headers
    -Installing Custom Fit 2 1/4in Tailpipes
    -Replacing the Entire A/C System
    -Installing a complete Audio System
    -Tint Windows (As dark as I can legally get)
    -Slicktop Conversion
    -Re-aligning all the Body Panels for better fit/closure
    -Lots of Bodywork
    -Full High End Re-paint, the stock (Midnight Canyon Red Metallic)
    -Drive the Hell out of it.

Big Red is currently comatose at the moment, so I will be bringing this car back from the dead, hopefully very soon.

Stay Tuned...

It looks like a very solid car already. I can't wait to see it once you get through with it.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nice Mang but it still needs a lot of work but if you love your Panther i'm sure it will come to a almost new condition

Att, Sniper 308.
      MERC75-INTERCEPTOR, BORN IN 2003,DIED IN SEP/21/2010 AT 9:55AM AT THE SORT AHE OF 8 YEARS PROTECTING HIS OWNER TO DIE

Comment

50 Bucks!!??? FUCK!!!

Comment

That car has a very good home now. For some reason I see it in flat black with black vinyl dyed top. It'll look good red too.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

very nice.....we know its got a good home

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Nice find w/some TLC & a Blue Ovel also you`ll go far mang.........
              2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
              85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
              07 JCL 250 A Scooter
              79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                It looks like a very solid car already. I can't wait to see it once you get through with it.
                Originally posted by p71towny View Post
                That car has a very good home now. For some reason I see it in flat black with black vinyl dyed top. It'll look good red too.
                Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                very nice.....we know its got a good home

I (as the prior owner) second all those opinions and couldn't be happier for Big Red right now. I'm convinced she's in good hands and can't wait to see her looking spectacular again!
                sigpic

Cardomain page

"It's not rocket surgery!!"

Comment

What a buy at $50! She looks good and solid, and has that nice HO living under the hood.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

hows it run with the lopo upper stuff?
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

can't wait to see progress with this one brandon its good she has a good home.
                      shame you were in Tennessee last weekend with your girl I would of love to stop by and see your cars

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Thanks Guys, the progress should go pretty quickly with this one, as I'm not trying to make it absolutely perfect, just to restore it to nice condition, get it running great, and drive it. It should be a pretty fun car to drive daily after I get it running right, and upgrade a few things.

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                        hows it run with the lopo upper stuff?
                        She is still Comatose right now, as I still need to buy a Battery and a TFI Module, which will cost around $160 together. I have also been slacking lately as far as working on my cars, because of the winter weather we have been having. Working in 15*F temps kind of kills my motivation, lol. I'd imagine that she is gonna run a little Rich though, due to not being able to get enough air through the lopo upper/TB, and old/failing O2's causing the ECU to dump fuel.

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
                        can't wait to see progress with this one brandon its good she has a good home.
                        shame you were in Tennessee last weekend with your girl I would of love to stop by and see your cars
                        Yea, I really didn't wanna be dragged off to Gatlinberg last weekend, but it was one of those family things for her, and she Really doesn't take no for an answer when it comes to me going to those things with her, lol. Hopefully the next time you are traveling through NC on a DX I will be at home, and we can hangout for awhile, cruise some of the local spots, etc...

Comment

Man that thing does look solid!! Nice body lines too.

And you can't beat the price!
                          1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                          1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                          1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Good to have rust free Grand Marquis! Cannot wait to see your progress on your Grand Marquis.
                            1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
                            1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
                            1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
                            1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

Nice that will be a fun car

Comment

Working...
                              X