No announcement yet.

LTDMan's '87 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (Big Red) *DUW*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, I could as a matter of fact, as I'm pretty sure all of them had auto trannys, I would only need to find one that had Mass Air from the factory. I found this list of 5.0L MAF computers as well, which helps to give me an idea of where/what to look for, in case I decide to go that route.

OEM Binaries

A9L - 89-93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd
    A3M - 93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd
    A3M1 - 93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd
    X3Z - 93 5.0L Cobra 5-spd
    A9P - 89-93 5.0L Mustang Auto
    A9S - 88-93 5.0L Mustang California
    C3W - 89-93 5.0L Mustang Auto
    DA1 - 87 5.0L Mustang 5-spd
    J4J1 - 94-95 5.0L SVT Cobra 5-spd
    T4M0 - 94-95 5.0L GT Vert 5-spd
    U4P0 - 94-95 5.0L GT Auto
    WH40 - 94-95 5.0L GT
    ZA0 - 95 Cobra R
    D9S - Lincoln LSC
    ZXA3
    LLX3
    CCA1
    CCA0
    AOL2
    AOL3

Comment

no mark 7's came from the factory with maf

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The A9L and the A9P are the most prized and most recommended as well as the most sought after ECM. Find an A9P and you will be a happy/lucky merc.
        sigpic

Cardomain page

"It's not rocket surgery!!"

Comment

Well, with the MK7 series 5.0L HO ECM's not coming in MAF flavor, that certainly narrows down my choices.

I guess I'm gonna start searching for an A9P. If I can't find one cheap enough then I will just add the Pin Out to the harness, and keep the A9S.

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
            Cant you just use a Mark7 Ecm and keep cruise as well??
            Better yet, since most of the cruise shit is missing, you could just install the '86 Cruise stuff, since that is a separate from the ECM, unlike the '87 model year.

Comment

Actually, '87 has the separate Cruise Module as well. I have one which I pulled out of my '87 parts car. It's a little Rectangular Black Box, that sits next to the ECM under the dash. As long as the wiring is still there under Big Red's dash, it would be no problem to install it again.

Comment

Reminds me of my 87 MGM just like that same gauge setup, even had the factory sticker too.
                LPP71 from CVN

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
                  Actually, '87 has the separate Cruise Module as well. I have one which I pulled out of my '87 parts car. It's a little Rectangular Black Box, that sits next to the ECM under the dash. As long as the wiring is still there under Big Red's dash, it would be no problem to install it again.
                  How about that, I thought it was just an '86 thing.

Comment

Big Red's 1st Major Update:

Body Update:

First up for Big Red, we have Bumper Replacement.

The Original Bumpers. The Rear is beyond being able to fix without destroying the chrome, and the Front is not worth fixing when I already have a nice Mercury bumper on hand which has no other use. I kept the original Inner Supports from both bumpers as they where completely Rust-Free, just like the car.

Nice & Straight Bumpers to replace the Dented and Bent original ones.

Nice Bumpers Installed & Aligned.

I do take the bumpers off, and put them back on, completely by myself. They are not that heavy in my opinion, at around 75lbs a piece. Now, the only Body Part left that I need to find a replacement for before paint, is the Hood, which looks like someone may have stood on it and stomped a few times, it is bad enough that it's not worth fixing. Other than that I will be keeping all her Original Panels, as the rest of them are in great shape.

Engine Updates:

I Installed an HO Upper Intake and Modified HO TB, along with a 63mm bored Box EGR spacer w/ a Custom made EGR Block-Off Plate, and an almost new IAC Valve & TPS Sensor. I deleted the EGR completely, along with the related Smog Controls/Vac Lines/Wiring, and the Smog Pipes on the back of the heads. I bypassed the coolant that flows into the EGR Spacer as well, and the 1/2in Intake Spacer (that was allready installed on the lower intake) actually blocks the Exhaust Gas that normally flows into the upper intake and EGR Spacer, so that was allready taken care of. The car is now completely devoid of all emissions equipment, just how I like it. I also Re-routed/Loomed some of the Wiring to make everything a little cleaner looking.

These 19lb injectors are Ford Denso units. Cleanest lower intake that I have seen in person, in quite sometime.

I Installed a new set of Bosch O2 Sensors while I was in there. The DS one comes easily off with a open-ended wrench on the hex, and a Bar/Hammer to impact the wrench and loosen it up. The PS one requires a special socket to remove, which I bought a few years ago from jegs.

Bottom of the HO Upper Intake, with everything hooked up in Box Configuration. The Vac Line for the MAP sensor is blocked off, since this is a Mass Air engine. All good Vacuum Lines, and a black Motorcraft PCV Valve installed as well.

Also, I had no choice but to replace the Power Steering Pump, as it was slowly leaking, and greasing the hell out of everything in the engine bay while driving. Fortunately, I had a known good replacement unit on hand, so it was as simple as digging it out of my parts bin, and installing it. This one does not leak at all, and I did verify that afterwards. I also bled all the air from the system after the install. Now the engine bay can be spared from the constant greasing the old pump gave it.

Everything Installed, Buttoned up, and ready to Rock. Didn't have the time to paint anything yet, and I wouldn't want to until I'm completely done messing with everything on the engine. Eventually I will paint the Upper Intake and Valve Covers, Midnight Canyon Red Metallic, to match the car.

I took her for a ride afterwards, and she runs pretty damn excellent now. The throttle response is smooth and quick, and I can feel that the engine has more power throughout its 4K governed rpm range now. Strangely enough the Rough Idle/Stall on Deceleration Issue is gone, the throttle screw is backed off, and the IAC is controlling the idle just fine now @ 700-750rpm. Even if disconnect the battery, reset the computer, and try again, the Issue still does not return. The Bosch O2's helped as well, as I cannot smell the engine running Rich anymore, and the exhaust smells 10X cleaner. I'm happy with the HO engine and its increased power vs the lopo, so far, I still haven't drove it enough to calculate it's MPG though.

Up Next, I'm gonna be doing some more cleanup on the Car, as well as attacking the Rear Drum Brakes, they are pretty bad right now, and will lockup very easily while driving. I already have the good drum brake Hardware and Shoe set sitting here in a box, ready to install the next chance I get.

Now that looks like one happy Mercury.

Last edited by LTDMan83; 02-16-2009, 08:53 PM.

Comment

looks great brandon glad your driving her again you need new high beams and right low beam lol I know I've said this before but turbines look so good I like that shot

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

nice!
                        should have done a scuff and shoot while the bumpers were off lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Very Very NICE!!
                          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Nice job!
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks Guys.

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                              nice!
                              should have done a scuff and shoot while the bumpers were off lol

Thanks!

I don't have any Canyon Red Metallic on hand currently. I will be taking the bumpers back apart anyway, to paint the Filler Pieces, when it comes time for paint. If I decide to paint the jambs on this car then EVERYTHING will be coming apart. She needs a good Full Body-Realignment anyway.

Comment

Large Update, a few pics as well.

Maintenance Updates:

No pics because, well, it's pretty boring, but so far i have:

Completely replaced the rear drum Brake Shoes and Hardware. (Drums were still good)
                                Installed new front disc Brake Pads, and Cleaned/Re-Packed/Adjusted the wheel bearings.
                                Changed the Oil/Filter
                                Changed the Fuel Filter, dumped a few bottles of FI Cleaner into the tank.
                                Flushed the Radiator/Engine and Heater Core (separately), and Filled up with new Coolant. yay for not having any leaks!

Maintenance sucks, and I hate having black grease stained hands for days on end. :no: Give me Bodywork any day. Being that I am my own mechanic though, I still have much more to do, to get her Reliable and Ready for the road.

Interior Updates:

Been working on the Interior of the car quite abit lately. I've installed a few upgrades, and fixed/modified a few things.

So far I have:

Fixed the Column Shift Indicator
                                Removed non-working Gauges from the ashtray area (kept all the gauge wiring for future use)
                                Re-routed and Re-loomed some of the Cars Wiring behind the dash
                                Fixed several loose Support Areas inside the Dash (dash is now much tighter/quieter while driving)
                                Prepped and Harnessed all Stereo Power and Speaker Wiring (to have it at the ready for the future Head Unit Install)
                                Fixed the broken Rear Seat Belt Holders, and deleted the middle seat belts.
                                Fixed the malfunctioning ATC Unit, confirmed that the Heater does indeed work, and the blower blows air on all settings/vents including auto.
                                Confirmed that there are no water leaks coming into the interior.

Installed a set of New 4in Alpine Speakers in the Dash.

Installed a Good Rearview Mirror w/ Courtesy Reading Lights. (Haven't ran the power harness yet)

Stage 2 Cleaned the Interior. Which consists of removing the seats, and giving everything a thorough Vacuuming and Cleaning. Basically removing all the Dirt/Debris which has built up, and stuck to things inside the car over the past how many ever years. Stage 3 Cleaning of the Interior will happen sometime during this spring/summer. Then, I will remove all the Upholstery, including the Carpet and Seats, for Spot/Steam Cleaning. As well as removing all the plastic/metal interior pieces and cleaning the dust out of the insides of them. It will be a FULL detailing job.

Replaced the DS rear door's Power Window switch, with a dusty, yet functional and shiny chrome one.

They don't match the color of the Interior, but I just couldn't resist. My spaceship needed Captains Chairs, and the stock Marquis LS seats (although with better foam than the LTD Vic LX version), still just don't do it for me. This car is gonna be more about Comfort and Functionality, than aesthetics, so I really don't care about the color contrast. Trying to Dye them Red is not worth the risk, as it could potentially ruin the seats. I could paint them with fabric paint, but it will always rub off eventually on the high traffic areas, and then look like ass. The seats are pretty nice to have come from a 21yr old Junkyard car, and I should be able to get quite abit of quality riding time outta them still. Best seats ever made by Ford, hands down. Gonna snag some Tan rear seats when I find some.

Mr.Gasket - Chrome Pedal Covers, just to make the pedals look a little nicer, and provide more grip for my foot.

Woodgrain armrest inserts from an '89, the woodgrain is slightly different and alot nicer in my opinion, gonna snag a set for the front as well, when I can find some in good shape.

Also installed a new set of Head Lights, and fixed the DS Turn Signal bulb housing, which was preventing it from flashing.

Both of the Cars together, on the first nice day of the year. I'm very happy with Big Red thus far. I feel like I have my first box all over again , only with different Body Panels/Dash, and more power.

More Updates coming soon.

Stay Tuned.

Comment

Working...
                                X