Dying Head Gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dying Head Gasket?

Lately I have been seeing water on the dipstick and a little frothy stuff on the oil fill cap. The water freezes on the dipstick and melts to the touch. I had this problem in the summer and after I changed the valve cover gaskets, it went away. The 5.0L runs smooth though and doesn't smoke or anything. At first I thought that it might be sucking water through the stripped oil drain plug (it leaks pretty good) on the front sump of the oil pan. After I thought about it, I realized that there couldn't be enough vacuum to do that. The only thing I can think of water getting into the oil is through the head gasket. Do you think the head gasket is on its way out?

Packman

ummm... ever think or see any issues with the lower intake? usually they wil go out and head gaskets dont blow often on these cars that i am aware of
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

only way to know is drain the oil. If its dark brown/black you're fine, if it looks like a chocolate milkshake then your gaskets are smoked.

Condensation usually builds up in colder weather and causes a frothy look to the fill cap and dip stick, its normal. Dont be worried. If your motor isnt smoking or running odd and your oil doesnt look like a frothy mess when you drain it your fine.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

if theres a good amount of water in the oil then maybe.......damm near impossible to blow a 302 head gasket unless you get the engine so hot that you blow the head gasket....when was the pcv system last checked and the screen changed?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

You haven't put any chrome Valve covers on it have you. I had a set on my old 84 and it drew Condensation in the winter.

Comment

If the engine isn't fully warming up to cook off the condensation, that will do it. I get a bit of white goo on the dipstick for my truck for that reason, I work 3/4 of a mile from home so the motor doesn't warm up.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              If the engine isn't fully warming up to cook off the condensation, that will do it. I get a bit of white goo on the dipstick for my truck for that reason, I work 3/4 of a mile from home so the motor doesn't warm up.

you work 3/4 of a mile from home??? i thought you worked from home. any rate...

cold weather is big contributor to short distance driving finding that crap on dipstick and oil cap when vehicle isnt warmed up enough from long enough drives. if you are still concerned and coolant is low and no leaks visible, might think about possible intake leak.
              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Nah, I couldn't change the PCV screen screen because it was jammed in the intake really good; even a drywall screw, vice grips, and my father pulling on it wouldn't get it to budge. I did change the rest of the PCV system during the summer when I did the valve cover gaskets. No chrome valve covers either, I couldn't get the Ford Racing EFI covers to work with the lopo intake. It probably isn't warming up enough. It's been unseasonably cold here for quite a while now. I guess it ain't a big deal since the car runs good. Plus I got other problems with non-Ford vehicles to deal with.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic View Post
                  you work 3/4 of a mile from home??? i thought you worked from home. any rate...
                  New job, I have to commute now
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X