Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lots O problems, please help '92 issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots O problems, please help '92 issues.

Ok here goes...
    I have a 92 Grand Marquis 5.0L with 187,000 miles. It was a New York car for all but the last 2 years of it's life, kept in a heated garage when not on the road.

This seems to have rusted EVERYTHING underneath.
    My big problem is the brake line to the rear, it rusted through and started spitting fluid. I took it to a garage and they took one look and told me they would not touch it. The fuel lines have rusted as well and they didn't want to deal with all of it. I took it to another garage and they patched the line, which promptly popped in another spot. After spending a week trying to get someone to give me a quote on replacing the brake and fuel lines my father and I are replaing the brake line ourselves.

Question 1. should I replace the fuel lines at the same time?

Also does anyone know what is involved in replacing the oil pan? it is rusted badly and there seems to be oil leaking THROUGH it. any suggestions on how to patch or replace?

Finally, the check engine light comes on when I go down a hill, or when I come to a stop, or turn a corner. it will also stall when I slow down to stop or turn a corner.

It is a great car, I get around 20 MPG and that ain't bad. So if anyone can give me some ideas on these problems I would appreciate it.

First of all, welcome to GMN!

Secondly, if your brake lines are popping open, putting new fuel line in too would be a good idea. also check everything else under the car too, especially your frame. To replace the oil pan, you have to unbolt the engine mounts, and jack the engine up, otherwise that pan isn't coming out. Get yourself a good repair manual for your car too man. Others will chime in, I haven't personally changed an oil pan, but I know it's a pain in the ass.

As for the engine light, someone else will chime in, cuz I don't know jack about engine computer stuff. good luck man.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

If you have a '92, you have a 4.6 instead of a 5.0.

Yes, replace the fuel line as well. Oil pan is a pain...the motor has to come up some.
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Dude what give you the impression that it has a 5.0? Did you convert it or the previous owner, cause all 92+ have 4.6L in them.
        2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Keep in mind, 1992 4.6's have the 5.0 bolt pattern, and the transmission is the 5.0 bellhousing.

"Bastard Blocks" they call them.

Someone could have easily converted...
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

My Humblest apologies. I was told it had a 5.0 in it when I bought it. Didn't matter one way or the other to me so I took the little old lady's word for it. I went to Carfax and typed in the VIN and it was a 4.6. Sorry!

Oh, we got the brake line replaced and the old girl is back on the road. Hopefully soon I will get the oil pan replaced.

'92 GS 4.6L 187k

Comment

My Humblest apologies. I was told it had a 5.0 in it when I bought it. Didn't matter one way or the other to me so I took the little old lady's word for it. I went to Carfax and typed in the VIN and it was a 4.6. Sorry!
              No worries mang. Good luck with the oilpan.
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

i've never worked on a 4.6 but i know removing thwe oilpan on a 5.0 is a bitch with a half-life. you gotta raise the motor so the pan will clear the crossmember on a 5.0
                Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

booo

Comment

Better late than never

Originally posted by evilcrownvic
                    i've never worked on a 4.6 but i know removing thwe oilpan on a 5.0 is a bitch with a half-life. you gotta raise the motor so the pan will clear the crossmember on a 5.0
                    It is the same process with the 4.6. Gotta undo the motor mounts and lift the engine to get to the pan. I had an early 92 GM. I had to change the engine when I got it and found one in CT. The first I swapped over was the oil pan. I couldn't trust the way the pan looked with all of the rust.
                    '03 300b MM (My pride and joy until 8/9/13 @129k)

Comment

Working...
                    X