Tune-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tune-Up

At about what mileage are you supposed to get a tune-up on these newer cars? Mine is an '02, I checked the service/maintenance manual and didn't see anything about a tune-up. I'm just curious as I have noticed a slightly rougher idle lately. The car still runs great, just a little bit rougher idle now whereas before I couldn't feel it at idle at all. Also, would an alternator that is going bad make the car idle a little rougher? (My alternator might not be going, I'm just asking as a scenario/general question) Thanks for your input!
    My CarDomain Page
    2002 P74
    Arizona Beige
    20% Tints All Around
    Tinted Tailights
    Clear Corners
    Sound System
    Leather Interior

i have to do a tuneup on my isuzu(2000 my)and supposedly you can go 100k before needing one. i think that schedule is bullshit. i would prob do one every 50k or if you do alot of hard driving 35k
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I could be way off but I always assumed that tune-ups were around 60,000 or so. My car is just under 42,000 right now and I just recently noticed the idle. It's possible it was always like that and I just never payed any attention but I doubt it. Thanks for your input though

-Jeff-
      My CarDomain Page
      2002 P74
      Arizona Beige
      20% Tints All Around
      Tinted Tailights
      Clear Corners
      Sound System
      Leather Interior

Comment

no prob. my isuzu has the same symptoms,lol. the idle is rougher, and the vehicle does have a pronounced shake to it, though thats prob causwed by the rough idle,lol
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

When I bought my towncar it had 86k on the clock with all stock shit. I did a tuneup then. Around 80k feels right for me, for plugs and wires anyway.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Ya I did a tune up on my vic at about 83k. I would have waited to 100k for the plugs but one fouled out. If your idle is rougher run some seafoam though it. When my vic does I put a can in the tank and a half through the pcv valve.
            2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

my 00 has 56k and i am doing a full tune up.

i say go for it, it is better to overkill than underkill.

fyi, rough idle 'could' be your iac too. i did have to switch out mine already.

2000 HPP Mods
              15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
              9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

one of the techs at the local ford dealer told me i shouldnt need one until about 70k.
                2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

-Jeff-
                  My CarDomain Page
                  2002 P74
                  Arizona Beige
                  20% Tints All Around
                  Tinted Tailights
                  Clear Corners
                  Sound System
                  Leather Interior

Comment

Have a 99 GM with 103k with original plugs and wires/coil packs.Not sure which one.Dealer says leave it alone to 105k the earliest.Did have to change the IAC but that was way back at 20k.Might need it again as idle acts crazy sometimes on cold startups.
                    99 Grand Marqius/HPP/103k
                    05 Crown Vic/LX/10K/Dads

Comment

Have a 99 GM with 103k with original plugs and wires/coil packs.Not sure which one.
                      98+ have COP (Coil on Plug).
                      -Michael

Comment

Working...
                      X