PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stock rear speaker size?

Default stock rear speaker size?

i think im going to hit up circuit city tomorrow to see if i cant score some car audio stuff among other things

if i just wanted stock "bolt in" speakers what size should i go for?

sorry for not putting this in the audio section up top, it wont let me delete it now
    Last edited by RunUoveR; 02-10-2009 at 06:03 PM.
    1989 Grand Marquis GS

i used 6x9's
    ~David~ Click the Pic for the Low Down on the Vic

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob 0-60 in 8.43 sec, 1/4 in 16.75 sec @ 84mph
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Jim and Angela 4 Life 87_crown_vic's Avatar

i use 6x9s in the rear and 6 1/2 in the doors. most cars i have had didnt have door speakers and had to cut out carpet and backing to ge them in and run wires in the doors.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

cool thanks. i'll probably just do the rears. my doors dont have stock speakers so i think i'll just skip those
    1989 Grand Marquis GS

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

6x9, but its actually held in with a big rubber band looking thing from the bottom.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

This can only end badly..... crown vic muscle's Avatar

the original size is 5x7-6x8. a 6x9 will bolt up with no problems and will sound oh so much better. there should be bolt holes in the rear deck lid when you remove the old speaker.
    What happened here?

My 89 already had speaker wires in the doors.

None of the boxes had rear door speakers, but to my knowlege they all had front door speakers. Personally I see no point in rear door speakers, they're too low to contribute effectively to the sound up front, and in the back you already have the rear deck speakers.

Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

Minivans are tangible evidence of Evil.. 85MercPark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    but to my knowledge they all had front door speakers.
    Nope. mine only had a single center dash speaker.
    2002 EGO electric scooter
    1997 F150 Ext Cab 8ft bed.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Ex-Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

the last time i pulled a wagon dash apart there were 3 holes up there. one 6x8 i think and 2 smaller ones, one in each corner. then one in each of the front doors, and two in the rear cargo area. has anyone ever pulled the rear door skins off to see if there are holes back there?
    What happened here?

my car doesnt have any door speakers, unless of course theyre dead

but i thought doop panels with speakers would have a "grill" ove them though, mine are fully carpeted

im not trying to wake the neighborhood but my speakers sound like ass. i have to turn the bass to 0 to be able to hear anything clearly
    1989 Grand Marquis GS

sounds like blown speakers to me. just replacing the stock ones with anything aftermarket will be a huge upgrade. your front doors should have holes in them for speakers, the backs i have no clue on
    What happened here?

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

I grabbed a door panel off of an '85 Vic. Same color as mine, only difference...

There was no hole for the speaker. The backing had those dashed lines where you could cut it and the carpet away easily to put the door speakers in there. Then I through the speaker grille in from my old panel. Works fine.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar (Courtesy of Lincolnmania, Gadget73 and SVT98t), Electric Cooling Fan, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, HPP wheels, Working A/C, more mods to come soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Blazer View Post
    My 89 already had speaker wires in the doors.
    yup mine did as well makes since just to make one harness rather then change them

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 1994 geo prizm lsi daily driver/work car
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Where's the torque? torquelover's Avatar

For sonic excellence, use the same midbass size in the front doors as the rear deck. I used 6-1/2S size speakers all around. The front door holes were already in the door panel metal, you just had to cut the carpet/cardboard to get to it. In the rear, make adapters from wood or MDF.

damn, my 89 has the front speakers in the dash, none on the front doors, but has the holes for em. How hard is it to change the speakers in the dash? cuz my front left is blown, or should i just eliminate the dash speakers and run wires to the doors?

4thPanther..03 MGM LS
    previous panthers: 87 MGM, 85 CV 2 DOOR, 89 MGM.

Abolish the act of 1871 Lincolnmania's Avatar

i like runnin all 6 speakers in the car......in my towny i have 6x9's in the back, 5.25's on the dash and 6.5's in the doors and a pr of satellite tweeters and two 12" subs

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    1989 crown vic gt sedan 5.0 HO sold back to richduty455
    1991 lincoln mark VII bill blass (mini me)
    1992 mercury grand marquis, 5.0 HO conversion sold to 86vickylx
    1982 efm and 1986 alaska stokers keeping me warm

Quote Originally Posted by 89merk View Post
    damn, my 89 has the front speakers in the dash, none on the front doors, but has the holes for em. How hard is it to change the speakers in the dash? cuz my front left is blown, or should i just eliminate the dash speakers and run wires to the doors?
    Pull the dash pad, 4 screws to remove the speaker.

I'd bet you have speaker wires in the doors already. Pull the door panel and look around. It might be taped back to the harness or something.

the dash pad comes off that easily?
    I had no idea.

4thPanther..03 MGM LS
    previous panthers: 87 MGM, 85 CV 2 DOOR, 89 MGM.

Jim and Angela 4 Life 87_crown_vic's Avatar

dash pad has screws on the side you can see when you have doors opened, screws in the defrost vents you can see, and under the pad where it meets the face of the dash.... should be around 10 screws that hold the dash pad
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast