No announcement yet.

stock rear speaker size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

damn, my 89 has the front speakers in the dash, none on the front doors, but has the holes for em. How hard is it to change the speakers in the dash? cuz my front left is blown, or should i just eliminate the dash speakers and run wires to the doors?

4thPanther..03 MGM LS
    previous panthers: 87 MGM, 85 CV 2 DOOR, 89 MGM.

Comment

i like runnin all 6 speakers in the car......in my towny i have 6x9's in the back, 5.25's on the dash and 6.5's in the doors and a pr of satellite tweeters and two 12" subs

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by 89merk View Post
        damn, my 89 has the front speakers in the dash, none on the front doors, but has the holes for em. How hard is it to change the speakers in the dash? cuz my front left is blown, or should i just eliminate the dash speakers and run wires to the doors?
        Pull the dash pad, 4 screws to remove the speaker.

I'd bet you have speaker wires in the doors already. Pull the door panel and look around. It might be taped back to the harness or something.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the dash pad comes off that easily?
          I had no idea.

4thPanther..03 MGM LS
          previous panthers: 87 MGM, 85 CV 2 DOOR, 89 MGM.

Comment

dash pad has screws on the side you can see when you have doors opened, screws in the defrost vents you can see, and under the pad where it meets the face of the dash.... should be around 10 screws that hold the dash pad
            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

3 screws hold the speakers into metal dash.

Comment

wow, that the easiest to remove dash pad ive ever had
                1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

sorry to bring up a old thread but how do i run after market 6x9s on the deck with factory speaker clips.. oh and also is the factory size speaker for the back deck 6x9 or 6x8? 89 grand marquis

Comment

i have only rear speakers and 2 dash speakers.. how do i buy 4 bolted 5.25 speakers when factory is 3 bolt?

Comment

The factory speaker size for a box is 6x8 unless you have the premium sound system, then its a 6x9. You will not bit able to utilize the factory mounting system for the rear deck unless you get speakers with the same size magnets and chassis.

And I believe the dash speakers are only 4" speakers. Not sure 5.25" will fit without modification. To mount 4 bolt into a 3 bolt, line up what hole you can and for the others drill a hole or use a self tapping screw.
                      '88 Lincoln Town Car '78 F250 Hi-Boy
                      '80 XS850 '80 GS450 '82 XJ650 '81 XJ650 '81XS850 '82 XV750

Comment

If the magnet is a little big for the stock "rubber band" mount you can trim it a bit to fit. I did it on both of my boxes with no problem.
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

my 88 box uses 6x9 in the rear and is not premium sound. The stock dash speakers are 5 inch. NOT 5.25 inch. Crutchfield has the nice metal mounting adapters for that to mount 4 inch speakers. You can also just disconnect that and fish the wire into the doors and use the 6.5 inch holes to mount speakers there.

I used some petroleum jelly to assist with the large rubber band mounts in the rears to get them over the larger magnets. This also helps to be able to center the bands and mount the speakers up to the deck properly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Both my 89 and 91 sedans have 6x9's out back and just have the poverty radio.

Wagons did however have 6x8's out back.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I had premo sound and 6X9's. I also trimmed the rubber band to accept bigger magnets.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

so the dash speaker size is a 5" ?

Comment

Working...
                                X