stock rear speaker size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stock rear speaker size?

i think im going to hit up circuit city tomorrow to see if i cant score some car audio stuff among other things

if i just wanted stock "bolt in" speakers what size should i go for?

sorry for not putting this in the audio section up top, it wont let me delete it now
    Last edited by RunUoveR; 02-10-2009, 08:03 PM.
    1989 Grand Marquis GS

i used 6x9's
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

i use 6x9s in the rear and 6 1/2 in the doors. most cars i have had didnt have door speakers and had to cut out carpet and backing to ge them in and run wires in the doors.
      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

cool thanks. i'll probably just do the rears. my doors dont have stock speakers so i think i'll just skip those
        1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

6x9, but its actually held in with a big rubber band looking thing from the bottom.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the original size is 5x7-6x8. a 6x9 will bolt up with no problems and will sound oh so much better. there should be bolt holes in the rear deck lid when you remove the old speaker.
            What happened here?

Comment

My 89 already had speaker wires in the doors.
              '92 F-350 4x4: 7.3 idi, E4OD, 6" all spring Skyjacker lift, 16.5" Mickey Classic II's, 35" BFG's, Loc-Rite Up front, Trac Lock in rear.

'91 Lincoln Mark VII Bill Blass: don't know yet

Comment

None of the boxes had rear door speakers, but to my knowlege they all had front door speakers. Personally I see no point in rear door speakers, they're too low to contribute effectively to the sound up front, and in the back you already have the rear deck speakers.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  but to my knowledge they all had front door speakers.
                  Nope. mine only had a single center dash speaker.
                  2000 Grand Marquis LS
                  2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                  1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                  Mercury Owners Group member
                  Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

the last time i pulled a wagon dash apart there were 3 holes up there. one 6x8 i think and 2 smaller ones, one in each corner. then one in each of the front doors, and two in the rear cargo area. has anyone ever pulled the rear door skins off to see if there are holes back there?
                    What happened here?

Comment

my car doesnt have any door speakers, unless of course theyre dead

but i thought doop panels with speakers would have a "grill" ove them though, mine are fully carpeted

im not trying to wake the neighborhood but my speakers sound like ass. i have to turn the bass to 0 to be able to hear anything clearly
                      1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

sounds like blown speakers to me. just replacing the stock ones with anything aftermarket will be a huge upgrade. your front doors should have holes in them for speakers, the backs i have no clue on
                        What happened here?

Comment

I grabbed a door panel off of an '85 Vic. Same color as mine, only difference...

There was no hole for the speaker. The backing had those dashed lines where you could cut it and the carpet away easily to put the door speakers in there. Then I through the speaker grille in from my old panel. Works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro Blazer View Post
                            My 89 already had speaker wires in the doors.
                            yup mine did as well makes since just to make one harness rather then change them

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

For sonic excellence, use the same midbass size in the front doors as the rear deck. I used 6-1/2S size speakers all around. The front door holes were already in the door panel metal, you just had to cut the carpet/cardboard to get to it. In the rear, make adapters from wood or MDF.

Comment

Working...
                              X