No announcement yet.

stock rear speaker size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would stick with Sly's advice and go with the 4" and Crutchfield's adapter ring. It's been a while, but I remember doing just that in my 89 MGM.

Also for the dash speakers look into a pair of "bass blockers" to help them play a little louder without damage.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I used zip ties to hold my alpines in my rear deck. Although I would suggest the crutchfield adaptor. They don't rattle at all with tight zip ties though
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

ordered some boss phantom 6x9s so i'm waiting for those to arrive
        i decided to get rid of the factory speaker grills on the back deck and replace them with the 6x9s. has anyone done that before?

Comment

that would require pulling the rear seat out and one of the side moldings to get the rear deck out to change out the grills. Also, the square grills will be larger than the new speakers' ovals, so you'll have to make up some area in the corners if the grills don't have a rather large bezel. This is why most folks just mount them with the old rubber and toss the new grills.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Strange what people are saying about sizes. My '89 Vic had 6x8 rear and 4" front dash speakers, no door speakers, was the non-premium system. Town car is the premium with 6x9 rear, haven't checked the front dash but it also has the front door speakers. I wonder what is with the no apparent reason size differences?
            '88 Lincoln Town Car '78 F250 Hi-Boy
            '80 XS850 '80 GS450 '82 XJ650 '81 XJ650 '81XS850 '82 XV750

Comment

Finally done with replacing speakers.. You were right they were 5" in the dash.. now comes removing the factory radio.. i see the 2 screws in the ashtray holding on to the trim but cannot find the other 2?

Comment

Not sure if an 89 is different from an 87 but after the trim is removed, there are 4 screws, one in each corner of the radio, that are removed. Let us know....Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

the trim only has the 2 screws in the bottom in the ashtray area. the top just uses clips (pull and it'll come out) but mind the left side as it will also pop the trim that goes around the instrument cluster. You don't HAVE to remove that, but to get that side back down after putting the radio trim back, you'll have to bend it up just a bit to get the clip into the right place.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

alright got it out.. 2 screws in the ashtray and the rest just pulls off at the top.. i kinda broke a small clip though so be careful
                    oh and will i need a radio antenna adapter? still waiting for the after market radio to come to me so i'm just getting everything ready in the mean time.. Thanks for all the help i appreciate it!!! this is one of the best forums around..
                    Last edited by extortion00; 07-30-2013, 10:11 PM.

Comment

uses standard antenna connection, the mounting bracket will be required to mount a DIN radio though. DO NOT mount it to the trim. It will not hold for long.

Metra 99-5510 is what you need. You may have to break off some of the un-needed bolt hole tabs to clear stuff. careful use of pliers will work, but diagonal cutters work better.

You will also need the wiring adapter: Metra Whfd1, SCOSCHE FD02B, Auto Stereo 70-1770, Hitech HTH-1770, etc (LOTS of folks make this wiring harness). Do not leave any wires exposed if there's not a match for the new stereo as shorts screw up stuff. Do not use wire nuts. crimp or solder. preferably solder and shrink wrap/electrical tape. Good crimps are ok though.

Comment

just got everything done.. (will include some pictures later on) but now i have a weird issue.... last night i plugged the stereo in to see if i wired it correctly and it came on perfectly, started the car so i didn't waste the battery of course while i play with the radio.. this morning i went ahead and installed it in and now the car wont start at all.. just cranks and cranks... not sure if i did something while installing the radio or its just a coincidence.. i even unplugged the radio and still it wont start.. its just weird how it started last night with it wired in but after installing it just won't start
                        btw i checked all the fuses under the steering wheel and they are all fine
                        Last edited by extortion00; 08-06-2013, 02:42 PM.

Comment

coincidence. check fuses, spark, fuel, etc.

Comment

are there fuses under the hood?

Comment

not if you have a box. there's fuse links (wires that break under too-high load). They are typically found on the starter solenoid where the batter connects to it. I don't remember which one is which though. One of them is the power for the engine computer though.

Comment

is the ecu located behind the stereo in the dash? someone keeps bringing up how i could have done something to it by accident

Comment

Working...
                                X