Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police pod install on ATC equipped vehicle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
    nice pics mang!!

I didn't realize that thing had such direct control of the blend door!! I had always thought it was just a sensor, not a vacuum control as well.
    I guess the other end of that cable is attached to the temperature lever on the HVAC control?
    wheres that black air tubing go?? I assumed it sniffed out the hole in the dash...?
    Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Ya mean this?

It goes through the firewall, to god now where? and the other end iss stuffed onto that damn sensor that i dislike so much

The black hose connects to the blower housing. It doesn't actually go through the firewall. Its what causes the sensor to pull air from the cabin. Inside the sensor, it passes air from the blower through a venturi to create vacuum. This draws in air from the cabin through the small slot in the trim. If the hose isn't hooked up, or if the slot is blocked off the sensor won't sample any cabin air. This causes the temperature to not auto-adjust as it should. it will cycle from too hot to too cold instead of stabilizing.

And yes, that sensor is the vacuum regulator. Thats why the system goes all stupid when the blue thing goes bad, its the man behind the curtain so to speak. ATC is remarkably easy to troubleshoot once you understand how it works. Most of the problems are going to be that blue thing, or clogs in the tube so it cant sample air. The lever in the dash has little to break, and vacuum motors basically work or leak.
    Last edited by gadget73; 02-26-2009, 12:23 AM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Here you go JOHN i bought the damn gauge. Now you have to wait for me to install it. Whenever i decide to.

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Some more teasers... Just placed in the car to see for clearance issues..and suprisingly i have none YAY!!! Ok going outside to wire up the lights and the airefuel gauge, giving the lights power and grounds.

~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Here are some pictures showing the clearance i have.

I may look at installing that last gauge today once my dad comes home from work with some vacuum goodies.
          ~David~

Comment

Fits like a glove!! Looks good mang! That vacuum tube reminds me of the tubing for the oil pressure gauge. Did you look at the distribution block yet mang?

Comment

do yourself a favor, go to Lowes and buy a brass fitting with a small nipple for that gauge, and toss the tubing with the compression fittings. Small vacuum hose is much easier to deal with than that crap.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

LOL i just got done installing "that crap" and i must say i fucking love it. You know whats funny i actually went to Lowes today, but from autozone earlier i picked up a small vacuum hose just in case.

And yes John it is the same exact hose for the oil psi line. I had no problem installing the vacuum gauge hose, in fact it went super easy. and watching that thing fly up and down when your romp on it and let off is SO exhilarating.

Here is a picture of the hose fitted on the vacuum gauge.

Here is the end of that hose fitted into a vacuum T. (that is its final connection)

Here is where the hose goes through the fire wall. (wrapped in convoluted tubing)

Coming into the cab.

Nicely secured.

Two pics showing all of the slack i have.

And the shit that i had to go through to make this happen.
                ~David~

Comment

well dang... that skinny tube does look easier to tuck away than a 1/4" vacuum hose...!
                  And i like how you did the bay end... very factory looking!

Don't forget it also doubles as an approximate fuel economy gauge... Gotta try to keep it away from 0... that's been hard to do lately.
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Yea they say it is an econometer or somthin. I like seeing it jump around, looks as if i will be filling up quite often now.
                    ~David~

Comment

Wow! Looks good!! Hey mang, did you put the vent duct back in?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                        Wow! Looks good!! Hey mang, did you put the vent duct back in?

Yep i did.

And if anyone is annoyed at that sunpro tubing, all you have to do is boil a pot of water and then throw the tubing in it and it expands like a mofo, making it a breeze to work with.
                        ~David~

Comment

damn, how many guages do you have in that car? I count 6 and aren't you adding pillars? How many things can you possibly be measuring at once?

I like the police pods, they look pretty nice. I just installed one last night, though with a set of Stewart-Warners. Honestly the original Faria vertical guages looked pretty nice too. I really wish the equivalent panel on a Towncar was flat so I could install one on my car without it looking like ass.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think he's got oil psi, water temp, volts, amps, vacuum, and a/f ratio, and a tach.
                            I have 7 total as well
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              damn, how many guages do you have in that car? I count 6 and aren't you adding pillars? How many things can you possibly be measuring at once?

I like the police pods, they look pretty nice. I just installed one last night, though with a set of Stewart-Warners. Honestly the original Faria vertical guages looked pretty nice too. I really wish the equivalent panel on a Towncar was flat so I could install one on my car without it looking like ass.
                              I originally had the pillars filled with gauges, but i wanted the police pod to delete the pillar pods.

I think he's got oil psi, water temp, volts, amps, vacuum, and a/f ratio, and a tach.
                              I have 7 total as well
                              i have 8 muhahahahhhhahhahha. Like pete said but a extra tach under the hood.Look on the passengers side fender well.

For why, who the f#ck knows, just had some spare time.
                              ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

oh and i want to see some pics of your install
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X