Towing capacity q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing capacity q's

I know my 03 Sport is rated to tow around 1500lbs. My question is, what is the max tounge weight the car will support? Or is this more based on the class of trailer hitch I get?

I'm a newb to trailers/towing and just looking for some imput. I have the opportunity to buy my buddies pop-up camper and am just trying to get ideas on what my limits are as far as suspension/towing cap. go. I plan on adding a big trans cooler, j-mod, etc. to handle the extra weight if I buy the camper.

Any experiences/suggestions would be welcome (and no, buying a truck is NOT an option at this point, so let's not go there, lol...)

Jay
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

They were rated to tow 5500#s back in the 80's before they quit rating them. SLYDAWG used to tow his full weight 80GM wagon with a 91 GM wagon 1000 miles round trip from central FL to Atlanta GA
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Yea, ignore that 1500 lb rating, they can tow much more than that, Just do some upgrades and you'll be fine.

The 1500 lbs is all part of the towing conspiracy crap...
      2000 Grand Marquis LS
      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
      Mercury Owners Group member
      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

I've towed Towncars on a dolly with my Towncar more than once. You have better brakes than a box, so you should be fine with ~5000 or so.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I thought that figure sounded a little low, lol... I mean I've towed a 70 Monte Carlo w/ my 84 Vic before, and it survived just fine so I figured the newer ones would be the same, if not better due to the 4 wheel disk brakes, rear air bags etc...

Thanks for the input. I'll have to start looking around for some upgrades and get started.

Jay
          These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

My grandfather towed a 26 foot trailer about 400 miles to where we live now with GL. Not sure on the trailer weight, had to have been at least 5000 lbs. Car did fine from what I heard, didn't like hills so much, but it made it.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark View Post
              Yea, ignore that 1500 lb rating, they can tow much more than that, Just do some upgrades and you'll be fine.

The 1500 lbs is all part of the towing conspiracy crap...
              just bought a 2009. what upgrades would you recommend for towing?

Comment

A big trans cooler. Beyond that you should be pretty much good to go with an 09.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i take it fomoco doesn't have a cooler themselves, you'd have to go aftermarket? also, i presume you'd switch the air ride off in the trunk when towing?

Comment

I towed that. Not very fast or far though.
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS
                    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

boat hauling a boat dat how you do it

Comment

Working...
                      X