No announcement yet.

Alternator Not Charging Battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the same light problem and more....hope there's a light at the end of the tunnel !

Comment

I may start posting this trio of pics every time I see a thread on alternator problems. This is *hopefully* all you really need to know about 1G, 2G, and 3G charging systems - if your wiring duplicates the corresponding one of these circuits in function, the problem is almost certainly in one of your components. Dash lights are optional - it works just as well to run your green wire straight to any ignition-hot source.

Last edited by 1987cp; 05-13-2009, 12:35 AM.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        it works just as well to run your green wire straight to any ignition-hot source.

I thought I'd stress this point, because some people think that the wire doesn't need to have power going to it.

Comment

I've done the straight ignition hot thing before. it does indeed work fine. The idiot light is only important in that it completes the circuit. If you give it power directly with no idiot light, it still works fine.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Somewhat irrelevant, but I made a much nicer 1G diagram a couple weeks ago. I didn't include the alt/regulator guts on this one like the nice RJM diagrams have:

Comment

Correction: Noticed the labels on the regulator in my modified 1G diagram didn't match up, so I removed the labels. The wires are in the same order as in the manual, so with luck that should be good enough.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X