No announcement yet.

WooWoo!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good question, Lonnie got my chip yesterday. I just sent him an email for an ETA.

Are you going to send Ford the bill for the intake since they are refunding ppl?
    I'm going to wait and see how others do it.
    -Michael

Comment

I should have the chip on Wednesday and I'll take the car out for a drive then.

I did decide to start it up today. It idled like shit for about a minute and then the PCM relearned it's idle and it ran as smooth as ever.

Here's a start up clip after the install.

Linky...
      -Michael

Comment

Congrats.

How much was the intake?

Which gaskets did you use (PI or NPI) and how long did it take to install?

Definatley keep us posted on any perceived improvements.
        The 2003 Marauder 300A F.I.T #003
        The 1998 P71 Jinbei. SOLD!
        The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow).

Comment

Thanks!

I'm really just happy to have an aluminum crossover.

Intake was $195.99. I ordered everything through Chris (ADTR).

I used NPI gaskets because they match the coolant ports perfectly. I used Ultra Copper RTV around each air port to help seal it.

I had the install spread out over two days (I felt like shit the first day), but it could easily be done in one day.

I did already have the PI coolant nipple, so I did not need to remove the water pump.

The chip is on it's way and should be here tomorrow.
          -Michael

Comment

Thanks for the reply and information.

I forgot, what is the PI coolant nipple? Do you have the part number for it?

What was the most difficult part of the swap?

Finally, whose guide (if any) did you use for the swap?

Comment

The coolant nipple connects the water pump to the coolant tube (under the intake manifold)

PI coolant nipple - F75Z-8555-AA

In this picture you can see the PI coolant tube, the non-PI coolant tube goes straight back from the water pump. With the PI intake taking up more room in the valley the new tube is needed. (Nevermind about the diet coke container).

The install isn't really tough, just lots of things to take off. The most difficult part was dealing with the bracket on the Non-PI coolant tube. It's on the back of the passenger cylinder head and just difficult to get at. The new tube doesn't have the bracket so you need to cut it off the old one.

I read over and followed Charlie's write up on the swap. He has a 2000 P73, as do I.
              -Michael

Comment

Ok, that is what I thought it was. I had simply forgotten what the tube was called.

Did you need anything else besides the gaskets and the PI coolant tube?

Thanks for the pic and the part number and I am looking forward to hearing your feedback from the results of the swap.

BTW: Where in the swap guidelines, does it say to install a Diet Coke can?

Are you using it to catch coolant?

Comment

Here's a shot of the old coolant tube, you can see it would interfere with the PI intake.

Linky...

I got two (2) NPI gaskets, PI coolant tube, and an alternator bracket.

I needed a new alternator bracket, but I'm unsure if it will work for you. I believe 2000+ have the same alternator, so the 2001 bracket was a direct bolt on. I do not know if yours (being a 98) will work with the new bracket.

You can drill holes to make the old bracket work.

PI coolant tube - 1W7Z-18663-AA This is needed for all vics.

The PI coolant nipple is only needed if you don't already have it. If you do need to swap nipples then it's a good idea to get a new water pump gasket.

Water Pump O-ring - F1VY-8507-A

Where in the swap guidelines, does it say to install a Diet Coke can?
                  :guns:

It's actually holding the fuel lines.
                  -Michael

Comment

BTW: A little off topic, but in that pic my valley was gruesome. I cleaned it out afterwards.
                    -Michael

Comment

I'll have to ask around to see if I need the new bracket.

Are these items really needed:

High-Temperature exhaust paint or epoxy paint
                      Reciprocating saw w/ metal cutting blade
                      Grinder with grinding stone and/or sandpaper rolls

I'll probably replace most of the gaskets/o-rings listed in Metro's guide. It will buy a little peace of mine.

I am sure I'll need to clean out the "valley" on my block too.

Thanks again.

Comment

I did not use any of them.

You will need some way to remove a bracket from the old coolant tube. (It's welded on there)

I used an old flat blade screwdriver and a hammer and banged on it for a while. Then once it was loose enough I worked it back and forth until it came off.

I'll probably replace most of the gaskets/o-rings listed in Metro's guide.
                        Better to be safe than sorry.

You will need some Teflon tape for the coolant sensor on the crossover.
                        -Michael

Comment

I GIVE UP!!!

UPS has delivered my chip to the wrong house.

:cuss: :pissed: :cuss: :pissed: :cuss: :pissed: :cuss: :pissed:
                          -Michael

Comment

Whew! Luckily they delivered it to the nice couple a few streets over. UPS has shipped my stuff there before.

So the chip is in and the Vic feels great. Under hard acceleration it seems to have more get up and go. When hitting the throttle while crusing it feels better.

Overall it was a sucessful mod.
                            -Michael

Comment

didn't you go from an 87 octane program to a 91/93 octane. plus the intake, i thought you would be much happier... no?

2000 HPP Mods
                              15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
                              9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

87 to 89, so it wasn't much of an increase.

I was still pissed at UPS when I typed that, so I didn't give the intake the credit it deserves.

I am very pleased with the intake. I can definitely feel a difference when my RPMs get up above 3000. Metro said he noticed a

slight loss in low end throttle response
                                I did not notice any loss of throttle response, it actually feels better. It does have a little different exhaust tone now and the manifold itself also sounds a little different.

Plus I have an aluminum coolant crossover, so I can now WOT all day.

If I had to do it over again would I - Definitely.

This will likely be my last go fast mod for awhile.
                                -Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X