Balls deep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balls deep!

Well where about to get some first hand experience with the $50 roll-on rustoleum paint job.

I couldn't stand the color of the '89 looked pink in some lights so that had to go. I'm not sure how well this is going to turn out but I figured what do I have to loose. First off $50 quickly turned in to $100 with all the sanding paper, blocks, paint, rollers, brushes, paint pan, mineral spirits, bondo, and tape. Good start.

I used 160 grit to sand the entire car down and find any dents. After that I attempted any body work that needed done. I'm not a body guy by any means but practice makes perfect right? Right now I have one coat on and it covered better then they say the first coat is supposed to. I don't know if that means I didn't thin it out enough or what. I was also getting a lot of micro bubbles as I laid down the paint. But they seem to settle out as it dried.

I'm going to wet sand it tomorrow and add a second coat. I post more picts tomorrow.
    Last edited by Pesty351; 04-23-2009, 07:34 PM.
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

That looks rather decent at a glance! And yeah, I really hate the idea of having to spend lots of extra bucks on things like filler and primer-surfacer. Be cool if the RustOleum works out well and looks nice too. Looking forward to seeing some better pictures!
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Fuck Yeah!! You are my hero!!! I was gonna do this until rattle can satin started calling my name.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

From this day fourth it shall be known as "The Fuzz"

Check out the orange peel! This is the second coat I'm going to put on a third coat tonight and wet sand them down tomorrow hopefully knocking down some of that peel.
        Last edited by Pesty351; 04-23-2009, 07:34 PM.
        1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
        2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
        sigpic

Comment

When you gonna paint the door frames. And How did it work out just masking off all of the trim?

The door trim/cladding on the lower part of the door just comes off easily. ON the door you pull it off and every where else you slide it till it pops off.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Was the red paint that bad? I actually like that color, but I find I'm attracted to unusually optioned and colored cars.

Also how did you apply the paint, brush or roller or what?
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Was the red paint that bad?
              Yes, yes it was. I would have been more apt to keeping it if it was the original color. It was more of a maroon color then someone paid for a macco job and added a lot more pink to the color. Yeah I applied it with a roller and as far as the door frames I'm gonna do that last when I can open the doors.
              sigpic

Comment

I meant window frame...because i still see it pink on one picture on the d. side rear door.
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

duuude, thats sweet! I really want to see how this turns out, it may be an easy inexpensive means of painting for future cars haha, even if its not perfect.

You should get some steelies and baby moons and complete the look! or better yet newer police rims, tires, and center caps
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Thin out the paint. Want it to apply smooth.

However, it's easy to work out the bugs in it, just sand down, and reapply. Cheap, too!
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

ahh i dont answer my question..i figured it out. And it will sure look cool when done. Hopefully you can get a lot of that orange peel off after wet sanding it. And i hope that the white helps in masking the bondoed passengers side.
                      ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                        Thin out the paint. Want it to apply smooth.
                        Yeah I've been thinning it out to about %1 milk consistence like all the other fellas were saying to do.
                        sigpic

Comment

Its lookin' like a FAIL at this point. It might be savable if I spend the rest of my life sanding. For the out come and amount of work I think I'll stick with the rattle can. Which I might power sand this sucker down and do anyway. I don't know I'm just frustrated right now I'll look at it with clearer eyes tomorrow.
                          sigpic

Comment

NOOOOOOO...it does not look horrible from the pictures.
                            ~David~

Comment

actually, that last pic is pretty bad. Looks like a wall with one too many coats of paint on it. Is it theoretically possible to avoid that during the painting process?
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X