Fuel Sending Unit/Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Sending Unit/Pump

So recently, my fuel gauge is stuck at full. Past full, actually. I assume that it's either a wiring fault somewhere near the sender or the float on the sender is stuck. However, when examining rockauto.com, I find a rather confusing array of parts. So here are my questions:

1. It appears to matter that I have a wagon. Why?

2. Is the sender separable from the fuel pump? Is it worth my while to simply buy the sender (if this is even possible), or should I replace the fuel pump while I've got it out?

3. What are the resistance values for a 91 fuel gauge. The resistance values that are in my Chilton's manual don't look as if they're the same ones that I've seen here on GMN. Did they change with the new dash in 90?

Many thanks!
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

a waggin has a different size tank, so the sender might be different, no sure though.
    In our cars the pump and the sender are separate - they even have different access holes.
    The sender is removed from the front of the tank - I want to say I have heard of folks getting it out without dropping the tank, or maybe just lowering it a little.
    The fuel pump comes out from the backside, and you have to drop the whole tank to get it out.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

arent some of the 91's different tho.......pump and sender in one hole?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

are they??? I didn't know
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

might be a brain fart.....i will confirm when it stops raining by going to the u pull it therapy grounds

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Chilton's manual says they're part of the same unit, but this is a 89-98 manual, and it wouldn't be the first time that they've talked out of their ass about the older cars.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
              arent some of the 91's different tho.......pump and sender in one hole?
              This is an early 91 vehicle, manufactured August of 90. Dunno if that helps

Comment

I just went and checked the 91 - the fuel lines are going to the forward access hole with a wire harness having at least 4 wires.
                So it looks like they are indeed together, and in the front.
                On mine, the aftermarket passenger tailpipe is right smack in the way of any hope of a no-tank-drop removal...
                Last edited by 85crownHPP; 03-29-2009, 02:15 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Now it's working again. It stuck at full after I filled the tank, and now, 120 miles later, it's working again. I was on the freeway and it just dropped to half a tank.

I figure either sticky float or wiring fault.

Comment

My Dad's Sierra does that, usually some swerving gets things back to normal.
                    sigpic
                    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Mine works in the summer and sits below "E" in the winter. It just started working again in the past week.
                      89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Working...
                      X