Transmission linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission linkage

Question... How do you get the transmission shifter linkage connection under the hood to disconnect? When I bought the new steering column for my 84 "Baby" LTD... we had a heck of a time getting the column out, because of the shift linkage. We tried prying it apart at the connection, (where the plastic or nylon bushing is) figuring it would just pop apart... no go... we pryed and pryed, it would not budge! We ended up sliding the "bellcrank" off of the end of the shift linkage shaft... (It has a lever type setup that slides on the end of the gear shift shaft, under the hood.) This in turn has the connection joint that connects to the linkage going to the transmission...

Shift tube linkage... Any ideas on how to seperate this connection?

Here you can see how the shift lever came off of the end of the shift tube... But it was a bitch getting it off... we hooked the lever on the fire wall, and pulled on the steering column, from inside the car, sort of banging it on the side of the hole in the firewall, until it seperated. I do not think if I have to separate the shift linkage this way that it will go back on very easy... not to mention in such limited space to work... The shift tube is the small shaft.

The new column... leather wrapped steering wheel, and cruise and tilt on this one--- it even had the key in the ignition, so pulling the old lock set to put in my new lock set should go pretty easy... hopefully... (I bought a new lock cylinder, and had it keyed to match the rest of the locks... since all are the same on a police car....) Going back next week for all of the servo, etc. to hook up the cruise...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

i used a heavy duty pry bar and hammer to get them to seperate... thinking back i may have had my 350 lb buddy get under the car and lean on it a bit to get it to seperate there in your first picture.

metal did bend a little bit, but not too bad, and it eventually came apart.

dunno if that's the right way to do it, but worked for me!
    1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Comment

pry like heck tom.......thexton makes a tool to get that linkage apart, but i dont have one.......sometimes melting the bushings works good, just make sure you have new ones handy first

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Just in case I break this bushing... any ideas on where to get new ones?

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
        Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

ford dealer
          help section has them in an assorted bushing pack too

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Dunno if that shaft is the same diameter as the Panther-body shift linkage bellcrank, but when I replaced the missing bellcrank bushing on my P72 with a piece from the Help! kit, I ended up drilling it out slightly and heating it slightly in order to get it on.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Those bushings are a real bastard to get apart. I broke the shift lever on my original transmission prying that arm out. I was able to get a new bushing at the dealership for like 5 bucks though.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X