• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grandmarchris View Post
    Just go with LSX Powah
    I"m voting for terminator swap
    sigpic
    Wrecked - Non-pi 1998 Mustang GT Best ET = 13.36@ 101
    Just bought: 01 grand marq - 5th 4.6L and counting.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
      It was a mess, and a long story, but it was and AOD-E that went into the MK8. A direct bolt-in, however a driveshaft spacer (from Steeda) was required.

This was slightly comical as the trans somewhat negated the 3.73 RAR that was installed just prior to the 3rd trans swap.
      Oh, funkiness.

I've never heard of a driveshaft spacer ....

at the tag "4.6 valve engine" ... I've always wanted an engine with only 4.6 valves!
      Last edited by 1987cp; 08-19-2009, 11:39 AM.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Well I know it's been a LONG time since I have been on here but heres the latest.

First the trans went out had to have it re built. Got a loan $1,789.56 later I have her paid off. Over drive light starts flashing.. took her back to the trans shop free rebuild So now the trans is doing great.

Now the bad part... She developed a random cylinder miss fire / Heater cercuit malfunction / Oil in the spark plugs / Evap emissions system leak / Her system is too lean & she is shaking like a crack head going through withdraws. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON ?!?!?!?!?!?!? Someone ANYONE please please PLEASE help
        sigpic

Comment

That sounds like a lot to go wrong all at once! How many spark plugs are getting oil in them?

As for the heater, is that stuff all manual in that car? Because the manual-heat Box body stuff is pretty easy to diagnose (IMO).

Comment

All of the plugs have oil on them. I Changed all the plugs & every one of them had oil on the end. And the heater is fine I forgot to put that it is the O2 censor heater malfunction, And before someone asks Yes I did change all 4 of the o2 censors.

As for manual stuff in the car well Not too much is. The heat & ac are & adjusting the seats & adjusting the rear view mirror. Everything else is on a switch.
            sigpic

Comment

Where have you been mangjura? Long time no talk. What brand of O2s did you buy? Hope it wasn't Bosch.

How much oil are you going through?

Comment

They are motorcraft. & I was going through about half a quart in a week. But then I started topping her off with motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20 & now after 3 weeks she still on the full line. I never see any smoke coming from anywhere.

And as for my LONG absence. I moved to a new place & I did not have Internet for a long time. I recently paid off my transmission so I have a little extra money thus now I have high speed internet on my crappy old computer
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmarchris View Post
                  Here is a few mods just to start out
                  - 2.25 inch Exhaust (stock is 2 inch)
                  - Underdrive Pulleys
                  - 3.73-4.10 gears
                  - Throttle Body and Plenum
                  Speaking of throttle bodies........

Anyway, $1800 for a trans rebuild sounds extreme. The shop around here wanted $1000.
                  I just bought a used one on mm.net for $900 with a 3500 stall converter. Only 40k on it.

Anywho.....
                  Oil on plugs. This does not sound good.
                  How many miles do you have on it now? Do you have to constantly add oil? How does the oil look?

-ryan s.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Well the trans rebuild was only about $1,000 But like I said I had to get a loan. So with all the interest over 1 year you get the point.

Presently she has 144,000 miles on her. I have to add oil about once a month now since I started using the synthetic blend 5w20. Before that I was just using basic 5w20 & I was adding about once a week. The oil has a slight dark tint to it but all in all not too bad still has that amber color for the most part
                    sigpic

Comment

Bad valve seals, or bad valve springs. You may have bad piston rings too. Either way, you're burning oil if you have to add oil once a month.

-ryan s.
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

I was going to say, don't some 4.6L engines supposedly have a reputation for leaky valve seals?

Talking hot air to some extent, but I'm thinking he may want to consider a leakdown test to rule out piston rings.

Comment

Well if it were piston rings wouldn't she be smoking like crazy ??
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mangjura View Post
                            Well if it were piston rings wouldn't she be smoking like crazy ??
                            Whether it's rings or valve seals it will smoke just the same. Synthetic oil smoke dosen't really show up though. You could also have some oil leaks too mang. If you want more power, a motor swap is the cheapest way I think

Comment

Yes. Compression check. And i know the earlier 4.6s (like mine) are known for having crap valve seals. Compression check would let you know if you have bad rings and/or excessive oil leaks.
                              It would be a good time for a motor swap. You could atleast put the PI heads on it. It is a 99, correct?
                              I know my drivers side head is bad. I burn oil like whoa after oil changes. I get the huge plumes of blue smoke out the drivers side exhaust tip. I just keep adding oil accordingly until:
                              A. 4.6L NPI motor swap
                              B. 4.6L PI motor swap
                              C. 5.4L 2v motor swap (I was just informed that I may be accquiring one of these)
                              D. My 4.6L 4v Marauder motor
                              E. Tank dies

As long as there's oil in there, it'll run. It does suck having to add oi lall the time.

hope this helps.

-ryan s.
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

But you see the main problem is even before I started using Synthetic There never has been any smoke at all
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X