No announcement yet.

My vic is too slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthetic blend isn't a true synthetic. It's dino oil and synthetic. It's what I run.
    It may not burn noticably like mine. Just enough to not be noticed.
    No physical external leaks?
    Were you running 5W-20 before?

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Any chance of getting a pushrod motor past NW Indiana smog nazis?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        Any chance of getting a pushrod motor past NW Indiana smog nazis?
        Shouldn't be a problem, as long as the emissions equipment is still intact. There's a visual on cats and proper exhaust, then a gas cap test. Next is on the rolling dyno, and you're done.

The GTS is running a cam, ported heads, long-tube headers, and 3" straight pipes with no cats, and it passes since it's OBD2. They just hook up the machine to the diagnostics port, look for codes, and it's done. Even more hilarious is the fact that it was running race fuel last time it went through.

Comment

when was the last time you changed your pcv valve? a clogged pcv thats pressurizing the crankcase would cause it to take that much oil.

on my first mustang (2000 GT) i thought my rings were toast for the longest time, in the end it was just a bad pcv valve.
          1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
          1994 MGM GS Montigua
          2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
          2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
            Shouldn't be a problem, as long as the emissions equipment is still intact. There's a visual on cats and proper exhaust, then a gas cap test. Next is on the rolling dyno, and you're done.

The GTS is running a cam, ported heads, long-tube headers, and 3" straight pipes with no cats, and it passes since it's OBD2. They just hook up the machine to the diagnostics port, look for codes, and it's done. Even more hilarious is the fact that it was running race fuel last time it went through.
            Oh, weird. So they don't sniff OBDII cars at all?

Or, wait, Mikey B's car would be OBDII ....

Youse guys should ask your state and local legislators to eliminate emissions testing in that area. Claim it's bad for the local economy and puts unnecessary strain on low-income families, blada, blada. (actually true)
            Last edited by 1987cp; 11-24-2010, 01:45 PM.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

OBD II cars sniff themselves. O2 sensors before and after cats. They can download the data through the OBD port and that's all they have to do.

Maybe switch to a 5-30 oil?
              Originally posted by gadget73
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

yes my baby is OBD II. I have always ran 5w20 in here ever since I got her. lord only knows what was used in her before.
                sigpic

Comment

As much oil as your using, I'd be running at least 10w30

Comment

I ran the OBD II tester on her again & came up with these.

P0305 - Cylinder 5 misfire.
                    P0304- Cylinder 4 misfire.
                    P1131 Lack of HA2511 switches- Sensor indicates lean.
                    And
                    P0135- 02 Heater circuit ( bank 1, sensor1 )
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ford man View Post
                      As much oil as your using, I'd be running at least 10w30
                      thats too thick for a modular.
                      1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                      1994 MGM GS Montigua
                      2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                      2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post

Yea that's what I've heard isn't it that the ports are too small or something?
                        sigpic

Comment

I use 10w30 High Mileage in my 93 4.6L with no issues. 5w20 just pours out of that engine... but the 10w30 stays in. 10w40 would be too much though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
                            Oh please.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                              I use 10w30 High Mileage in my 93 4.6L with no issues. 5w20 just pours out of that engine... but the 10w30 stays in. 10w40 would be too much though.
                              Same here, and the one I take care of is an 01. I run a 5-30 in it tho.
                              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

these engines have coil on plug design...it's very common for the coil pack on top of the spark plug to go out.>.I'd start there for your misfire.

As for the performance, i've been researching the hll out of this, as I just bought a 99.

Stock, from what I hear people are doing 15.5 to 16.5 in the 1/4 mile. Mid 15's are pretty decent for a big car.

Of interest, the new gt500 mustang is 3800 pounds...and I've also heard the crown vic police weighs in at the same weight!!!

our biggest problem with our motor is that we have the NON pi headed mod motor. My friend has one of these in his 98. He put full bolt ons, meaning full exhaust, 373 gears, bigger throttle body, but then he put the PI intake on and the PI cams, but left the non pi heads on, and he's hitting mid 13's in the 1/4 mile n/a!! I couldn't believe it. I ran him with my 5.0 mustang that had gt40 heads and intake, and full bolts ons..I expected to smoke him, instead he had about 3 car lengths on me.

These engines are very mod-able...they're just not like the old 5.0 engines.

Here is a neat tidbit...the 02+ explorers received an all aluminum 4.6 block and had the pi intake, heads and cam. HMMMMMM....can you say add 50 hp while taking off 100-200 pounds?

i'm conisdering swapping in a pi headed aluminum explorer motor, but first I plan on self porting the heads, running stage 2 cams, along with the pi intake, and of course more gear, exhaust, t/b etc etc. That should be MORE than enough to get my vic DEEP into the 13's...if I need more, it's a $200 nitrous kit away from 12's.
                                -1999 P71 Crown vic X LAPD..
                                -1966 mustang, 5.0 roller crate motor, t5 etc
                                -1972 maverick 5.0 roller crate motor with EFI and a Lentech AOD

Comment

Working...
                                X