My vic is too slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by v8only View Post
    these engines have coil on plug design...it's very common for the coil pack on top of the spark plug to go out.>.I'd start there for your misfire.

As for the performance, i've been researching the hll out of this, as I just bought a 99.

Stock, from what I hear people are doing 15.5 to 16.5 in the 1/4 mile. Mid 15's are pretty decent for a big car.

Of interest, the new gt500 mustang is 3800 pounds...and I've also heard the crown vic police weighs in at the same weight!!!

our biggest problem with our motor is that we have the NON pi headed mod motor. My friend has one of these in his 98. He put full bolt ons, meaning full exhaust, 373 gears, bigger throttle body, but then he put the PI intake on and the PI cams, but left the non pi heads on, and he's hitting mid 13's in the 1/4 mile n/a!! I couldn't believe it. I ran him with my 5.0 mustang that had gt40 heads and intake, and full bolts ons..I expected to smoke him, instead he had about 3 car lengths on me.

These engines are very mod-able...they're just not like the old 5.0 engines.

Here is a neat tidbit...the 02+ explorers received an all aluminum 4.6 block and had the pi intake, heads and cam. HMMMMMM....can you say add 50 hp while taking off 100-200 pounds?

i'm conisdering swapping in a pi headed aluminum explorer motor, but first I plan on self porting the heads, running stage 2 cams, along with the pi intake, and of course more gear, exhaust, t/b etc etc. That should be MORE than enough to get my vic DEEP into the 13's...if I need more, it's a $200 nitrous kit away from 12's.
    um the non-pi's dont have the COP's. they have wires and coil packs.
    1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
    1994 MGM GS Montigua
    2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
    2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

WOW V8 thats one hell of a long post !! Thanks for the info mang
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
        um the non-pi's dont have the COP's. they have wires and coil packs.
        the non pi police interceptor motors got coil on plug's..the civilian cars did not. I'd be more than happy to snap a picture if you'd like...

As well, I was just under my car right now for the first time, doing brakes and I noticed a horrible thing...the exhaust is a good 2.5" all the way through the cats...then for some reason ford made the mid pipe all the way to the exhaust like 1.75" or so...the exhaust is choked down big time after the cats...a new exhaust system from the cats back should really do wonders.
        -1999 P71 Crown vic X LAPD..
        -1966 mustang, 5.0 roller crate motor, t5 etc
        -1972 maverick 5.0 roller crate motor with EFI and a Lentech AOD

Comment

the non pi police interceptor motors got coil on plug's..the civilian cars did not. I'd be more than happy to snap a picture if you'd like...
          youre right, but the civilian cars also got them.
          Last edited by rick99601; 12-04-2010, 03:11 AM.

1994 MGM GS Montigua
          2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Ok, so most cars in 98, got the COPs.
            I hate to break it to you, but its gonna take a bit more to run 13s. My Marauder ran 15.1 stock. Thats with a 300hp 4.6L DOHC.
            Most of the 450hp S/c Marauder's run 12s.
            Any Panther vehicle after 2001 had the PI heads and PI intake installed from the factory.
            And the Mustangs got them in 1999.
            With bolt ons, you can run solid 15s, maybe high 14s all day.
            Then it's spray or forced induction.
            These cars are heavy!

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

hey, check out my other post in this forum if you could.

I had my first ever run today..18.5 at 74 mph...granted it was a 2.6 60'..but even if that was perfect, it still would have been a mid 17 run.

I'd have to agree that it would take a small miracle to get these tanks into the 13's. My motor "seems" extremely healthy, so I don't understand the 18 second run.

Comment

need more gear. these cars are highway cruisers, not drag strip demons.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  need more gear. these cars are highway cruisers, not drag strip demons.
                  LOL, that inspired me to go look at my rear. Its a 3.55 rear end..I'm not comfortable going beyond 373's for a factory DD....

Im really starting to lean towards an old tired motor

Comment

I read it.
                    Atleast you agree. I commend you for begin able to see that it takes alot of power to make these tanks rocket down the track.(it usually takes alot longer to convince people whats really up)
                    It helps.
                    How did you leave the line? Did you have enough loaded on the converter?
                    I'd strongly recommend the J-mod to help with the shifting. It's damn near free, and you can customize it to your liking.
                    I did just the separator plate on mine and it shifts decent. I don't want the neck snap shifts on my daily driver.
                    As for the run, humidity, heat, crap tires, the list can go on.
                    But we can work on going faster!

-ryan s.
                    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                    Originally posted by pantera77
                    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

hrm... kinda suprised it has a 3.55.

makes me wanna take my 93 to a track now and see what it will do. 30mph+ it pulls pretty good. Getting it out of the hole though is a trick.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

i'm not sure what the jmod is..I'll have to check and read up.

I held the rpm's to about 1500 ish then let off at the track..had wheel spin, let off some till wheel spin subsided then just floored it. Crappy start for sure...left it in drive the whole time. I've been doing a TON of reading, and I'm not seeing anyone doing slower than mid 16's or so in a 99ish vic...something just doesn't make sense.

Comment

don't hold it reved on the line... just hammer it and try to time it right (generally as the last yellow lights). At least that's what's been the general consensus of what I've read on here. You may have to 3/4 pedal the launch to prevent wheel spin... but as soon as you're moving... floor to the finish.

Comment

LOL, that inspired me to go look at my rear. Its a 3.55 rear end..I'm not comfortable going beyond 373's for a factory DD....

Im really starting to lean towards an old tired motor
                            dont fear the gear!

1994 MGM GS Montigua
                            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

damn...i've got a local 1/8th mile here that happens every thur. I think I'm gonna go try this a few more times.

Comment

I posted up in my other thread, but I did research tonight what else runs mid 18's in the 1/4 mile...

a 74 gremlin and a geo metro amongst others.....

the 92 civilian crown vic was rated 17.1....

obviously I can run down a 74 gremlin in my interceptor, so the light system obviously tripped up and I got a wrong time slip. I'll take it to the local 1/8th mile soon and post up my results from that...probably week after next.

Comment

Working...
                                X