No announcement yet.

85HPP 3G alternator install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the crimping tool but it's the actual connecting of wires that confuses me. How do I put two wires together? How do I wire up a fuse between the batt and alt?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

on my 85 we cut the green wire from the origanal regulator plug stripped the wire back and crimp a butt connector on (the one you linked to), then took the green from the 3g plug stipped and crimpped in the other end of butt connector.
      ran yellow wire from 3g plug to power lug on aternator, then took 4ga wire from alt. to a 150 amp fuse that was for a amp then from there to battery side of solenoid.
      ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
      ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

No, see, I know what you're saying, but I don't actually know how to make the connection between two wires. I do not know how to make one wire connect to another wire. I have no idea what a butt connector is.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

a butt connector is what you said you have a pile of (post #29) if thats what your talking about you need to strip back about a 1/4" of wire, stick wire in connector upto the insulation and crimp that end then do the same on the other side with the other wire. you've now connected 2 wires.
          ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
          ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

gotcha. how far in should the bare wire be going? where exactly along the length of the connector do i crush/crimp? just on either end?
            sigpic

Comment

Ok I just built myself a little tester and I can connect wires just fine. I don't know why I didn't have this figured out a million years ago. Should I electrical tape the whole of the connector to finish it off?
              sigpic

Comment

Heat shrink tubing is lots better because it'll actually seal against the wire and stay nice, but electrical tape can be better than nothing so long as you don't mind rewrapping it every couple of years.

The most convenient way to seal the butt joint is with a special automotive butt connector where the connector's insulation itself is made of a heat-shrink material. Around here they can often be found at auto parts stores, but I don't usually spring for them because they're pricier than the regular plastic-insulated variety and I'm cheap, plus I'm pretty well stocked up on heat shrink tube for joints I actually care about. Anyway, they look kind of like this, and all you have to do it crimp it good and hit it with a lighter for a few seconds to seal it up.

Last edited by 1987cp; 09-04-2009, 11:12 PM.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post

One thing I don't know is where the yellow wire from the regulator goes to in a factory-stock harness. The old install on my car just had it going to the charging post, and that worked fine.
                  This is the voltage sense wire for the regulator. On 2g alternators it runs all the way around to the starter relay (perhaps to take the voltage drop of those dinky charge wires into account). If you have a big fat battery cable running off the charging stud, there ought to be no voltage drop due to resistance between the charging stud and the positive battery post, so you can attach that yellow wire to the charging stud without a problem.
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                  91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                  93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                  Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                  Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                  95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Last question (I hope) - on the rectangular plug going to the original alternator there are three wires, I know I'm supposed to just disregard the two fat ones but what about the third smaller wire?
                    sigpic

Comment

Small wire is white/black wire to feed the stator. Its the same wire that comes out of the small plug. It needs to go to that smallish connector on the side of the 3g unit.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh, okay, so I can just get rid of that entire rectangular plug all together? I nix those, run green on new plug to green on car, run b/w to the stator plug, and the last one to the charge post.

Am I correct in assuming that since I'm replacing the stator wire and charge wire that I can just snip the old ones and have them doing nothing? Not just hanging there where I cut it of course, but I mean I don't need those anymore, right? So the only wire from the old setup that's doing anything is the green running to the lamp circuit, yeah?

How does one take care of the wires so they're not just hanging there? I am not opposed to lots of electrical tape on the end since I don't think it really matters what happens to the wires since they're not going to be running to anything as they will be snipped on both ends.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken about ANY of this!!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

The best way to get rid of your old charge wire is to remove the whole alternator/headlight harness and fish out everything you don't need. Short of that, as long as you disconnect the old charge wires at the solenoid (it'll be whatever goes toward the front of the car that doesn't disable the headlights!), there's no need to worry about taping them or anything.

I'd actually suggest leaving the old circuitry as intact as possible, just so it can be reused if someone really wants to - the only thing I'd actually cut would be the green wire, since everything else will be self-contained in your new harness.

Comment

Gotta actually disconnect them from the solenoid, even if they're snipped on the other end and not goin' anywhere?

I figured fishing the wires out would come in to this at some point
                            sigpic

Comment

It's just safer to disconnect the solenoid end of the old charge wires when installing a new one, as that will eliminate any potential danger with very little effort. Plus, you'll have the nut off that stud anyway when you go to install the new charge wire, so should take all of 10 seconds to disconnect the old one (maybe a minute or two if you have to walk around to the driver's door to make sure of which terminal is for the headlights). In short, for less effort than it takes to type another couple of posts about it, you can eliminate any reason to worry, with no tape required.

Comment

Gotcha thanks bro.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X