85 351 4door Vic **DUW**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    The Energy Suspension upper spring isolators are about 1/2". Takes the place of the stock wafer thin rubber ones and will give you that much lift. The spring is still very much piloted in the upper frame pocket so it can't go anywhere it doesn't belong.
    Cool. I'm not 100% sure I got those when I got the rear bushings so if not I'll pick those up. Are there supposed to be isolators on the axle side too?

The current ones are sagged really badly and I'm sure the any isolators are squishy it's hard to know how much height difference there'll actually be.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

oh, I should have read that closer. I thought you meant you were changing the front springs. The ES spacers are for the front, not the rear. The rear ones don't really have enough pilot that I'd be comfortable putting spacers in there honestly.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        oh, I should have read that closer. I thought you meant you were changing the front springs. The ES spacers are for the front, not the rear. The rear ones don't really have enough pilot that I'd be comfortable putting spacers in there honestly.
        Yeah that's what I was worried about. They make spring cup spacers but they seem to be semi-universal which makes me nervous. They have their own pilot thing in the center but who knows if they fit nicely.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

You can get spring isolators for the rear though. I bought a pair at Oreilly the last time I needed some (when I replaced the springs on the beater with the cargo springs). They're really cheap but only about 1/4 thick.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah these things. https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...03-2/overview/

I suppose if I, say, doubled them up both top and bottom, gluing them together, that'd give me a bit more. I really just need enough that it won't have a reverse-rake with the stock springs up front.

The only other option I've found is something like this, and I just dont' trust it.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...1627/overview/

Comment

yeah... the rubber ones collapse over time and the solid ones are generally fine up top. You could attach brackets to the upper plate and bolt down the spacers and use one isolator between the spacer and the frame and another between the spacer and the spring to keep things from rubbing wrong. You could also drill and tap the spacers from the bottom and put in studs and drill the top plate for the studs and put in retaining nuts.

I could probably come up with a few more ideas too... but that's probably plenty.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have used the aluminum ones for 40k miles and no problems but I don't autocross. Hit some big holes in the road though. You may find you need different sizes. One of my is a half inch, the other is a full inch.

Got a set for the 88 waiting to go on. Left side sags a lot in the rear.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  yeah... the rubber ones collapse over time and the solid ones are generally fine up top. You could attach brackets to the upper plate and bolt down the spacers and use one isolator between the spacer and the frame and another between the spacer and the spring to keep things from rubbing wrong. You could also drill and tap the spacers from the bottom and put in studs and drill the top plate for the studs and put in retaining nuts.

I could probably come up with a few more ideas too... but that's probably plenty.
                  Interesting. I honestly can't picture what the spring seat looks like beyond a rough guess, so if someone says it works I'll take your word on it. This is all probably going to come out when I lower the front, but in the mean time I need the height to not look stupid and prevent the rear tires rubbing on the fender.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                    I have used the aluminum ones for 40k miles and no problems but I don't autocross. Hit some big holes in the road though. You may find you need different sizes. One of my is a half inch, the other is a full inch.

Got a set for the 88 waiting to go on. Left side sags a lot in the rear.
                    cup style similar to what I posted?

Yeah I'm definitely fighting the inexplicable sag to one side. Hopefully it'll go away or be reduced with the new springs but I know that's a crap shoot.

Comment

sag is quite probably front springs, not rear ones.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hey everyone! Been way too damned long. I thought I'd show you a glimpse of the stuff that's come for the car in the last few weeks.

Not shown is a pair of AFR 185cc heads that were slightly wrong and are being exchanged, and a whole bunch of other stuff I'll flesh out later.

Suffice to say, my AOD is gonna be on borrowed time soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180822_193240.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	1284611Click image for larger version

Name:	20180603_144302.jpg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1284609Click image for larger version

Name:	20180822_233833.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1284610

Comment

Where were you hiding?
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thats three in as many days. Welcome back.

Comment

Working...
                            X