No announcement yet.

85 351 4door Vic **DUW**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks pretty nice! Always especially nice to buy a car from someone who's willing to help you out with a few things.

What's this about a fuel door release? Was that part of some rare and little-known option package?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I don't really know what's rare and what isn't, but it appears the only way to pop gas cap door open is through an orange button mounted in the glove box beside the trunk release.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Car looks nice at night..lets get some day shots.

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        Looks pretty nice! Always especially nice to buy a car from someone who's willing to help you out with a few things.

What's this about a fuel door release? Was that part of some rare and little-known option package?
        i seen it before in a two door mercury grand marquis that i pulled my p. side door off of. I was just as surprised. I thought my car was heavily optioned but was disappointed when i saw a new option i never even new existed.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I am curious of the condition of the underbody. Looks pretty rust free
          Ont And Canada PPL The Cookhouse in Dwight

91 Grand Marq . . . . . . 88 ho wagon (project) . . . . . . 80' Lincoln Mark VI

Comment

hey, no pics today, but it was called "pimp" 5 times by kids at school today, so that's something I guess.

Yes, the underbody is quite nice. It has had significant rust-repair done on the body that I'll show in some pics soon, and still has a tiny bit of rust on the trunk lid, mostly hidden by the trim piece at the bottom. I haven't gotten a chance to get it up on a lift yet, but from just crawling partially under the car in a parkinglot, it's remarkably rust-free underneath, and all the rust on the body was in fairly non-structural and un-noticeable spots. That's a big part of what attracted me to it.

I spent some time with the armor-all on the roof. It was an almost turqoise colour from fading/drying, and now it pretty much matches the body. It still has maybe 20 little cracks, and the colour is a tiny bit patchy, but it's starting to make the whole car look less like it was just pulled out of a junkyard in the desert.

The exterior still has a ways to go, with nasty chrome, the pushed-in bumper, and a bunch of stone chips, and a mirror that broke at the top of the stalk and is fiberglassed together, but the interior is 3-4 things away from being mint. The seats are REALLY nice, with almost zero wear visible. Once I get a new latch for the glovebox, dash pad, re-glue the fabric that has fallen from both rear posts, and get a stereo that works right, it'll be pretty much perfect. All that'll be left will be nitpicking like a broken lock-indicator/knob on the left rear door, and some flaking chrome in somewhat hidden places.

I just need to fix that damned exhaust leak, it's smelly and makes a noise that sounds like a bad lifter. Hopefully the seller comes through on his offer to fix that (and a few other things) up if I go to his place again.

I had my first on-road issue today too, with less than 100KM of my own driving on it. The turn signal doesn't flash on the left side. Both lights are good, they just stay on solidly when I press down on the turn indicator stalk. They do flash when I use the hazard. Any ideas? My dad's advice was to start with the turn signal cam pieces up in the steering collumn, and I may do that to start with since I need to plug the notorious parking brake release hiss up there anyway.

I've somewhat re-thought my outlook on this car. At first, with the big engine, light(ish) weight, dark colouring, and the like, I was thinking it would be something where I focused on hotrodding it a bit. I was picturing my first priorities after basic repair being a hotter cam, gt40 heads, etc., but with all the compliments I got today, and the feel of the car, I think I'm going to lean more towards a q-ship look and having it appear as a real nice original car. I might even keep the wire hubcaps. I'll still delete the mufflers and look into some custom engine bits, but I just can't stand to see her with rusty bumpers, ripped vinyl top, sagging fabric in the rear, and the like.

It's been suggested to me that the basic performance stuff I should start with is a taller air-filter (which I assume means a custom air cleaner assumbly, open element, and advancing the timing. I'd rather keep a more original look underhood, but I want to hear and feel the engine more. Is there any more stock-looking way to improve the induction? high-flow filter? Different intake piping? How does the advancing the timing a few degrees sound to y'all mangs?

Man, it's great to have this thing.

It appears that the ford emblem I convinced my dad to buy me at an auction when I was 10, that I said at the time would "go on my first car" will indeed be the right size to replace the faded one on the grille. W00t.
            Last edited by johnunit; 05-05-2009, 08:34 PM.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Very Nice ..
              2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
              85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
              07 JCL 250 A Scooter
              79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

Turn indicators glowing steadily on only one side is a bad lightbulb. If it were the flasher, the other side wouldn't work either.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                  Turn indicators glowing steadily on only one side is a bad lightbulb. If it were the flasher, the other side wouldn't work either.
                  Both bulbs are lighting, is there another way they can break? Am I missing something here?

Comment

Forgot to mention, there's one bulb in front and two in back. Only one lit in back means the other one's out.

Comment

Crap, just parked the car and it's raining, and I checked the turn signals again (both sides are now on steady instead of blinking) but hadn't read your post. I checked it with the running lights on, so I couldn't really tell if there were two lights on in the back. Is the rear side marker supposed to blink?

Comment

You know, I really have no idea.

Once it stops raining, try pulling both bulbs out of their housing and laying them in the trunk with only the turn signal on. The other filament in each bulb being on when the headlights are on does make it a touch harder to see which one's out.

Comment

A quick startup and rev interior vid

A rule of thumb: Your car never starts on the first try if you mention how easy-starting it is right before you turn the key.

I'll have around 40 pics tommorow up, to compensate for going waaaay too long with only 2 up. I'll also be checking the rear turn signals more closely and maybe slapping a new pair of highbeams on. The working highbeam is all dark and filled with condensation anyway, so I might as well switch them both out.

Comment

nice I like this shot looks good from this angle

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

An '85 with no passenger side mirror! I hadn't caught that in the previous pic for some reason.

Comment

Your voice is scary similar to mine lol.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X