Neums' 1986 Chicago PD project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
    wow:jawdrop: that is beautiful! If you dont mid me asking, how much money do have budgeted for the this thing.
    I paid $2500 for the car, and I have another $7500 to budget for the restoration. It took me 10 years to collect all the parts for the lightbar and siren, don't remember what I paid for them, but probably about $350 to $400. I actually turned down an offer of $2000 from a collector after he saw my lightbar. Somebody on copcar.com pointed out to me that the lightbar is probably worth more than the car; he's probably right too. They are VERY rare.

Comment

sweet, cant wait to see more of the progress. Nice find!
      Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
      New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

nice, copcar.com is a cool site. first time i saw a box diecast model. the site also reminded me of a 81 dodge st.regis ex black and white cop car in the local yard. them cars are cool with the funky hide-a-way clear light covers.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I just got an offer to use the car in a commercial this weekend. Too bad I have to turn it down. I haven't installed the door weatherstripping, bumper fillers, or window trim. Without the window trim, there is nothing to hold the lightbar to the roof. Also, my gas tank sprung a leak and the new one hasn't arrived yet.
          Would have been fun though. Shooting is in downtown Chicago with a couple of my buddies who have box Caprice copcars.

Comment

Hey, that would be fun. What sort of commercials would be using squarebody Chicago cop cars?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              Hey, that would be fun. What sort of commercials would be using squarebody Chicago cop cars?
              Don't know. I'll find out Sunday though.

Comment

Depending on what company is filming the commercial, you might not have to turn it down. They might have people that can fix the lights on the roof so that it will stay there. Like you said, you'll find out Sunday. You have a nice car, so I won't be surprised to see it on TV one day.

Packman

Comment

Some pictures from the commercial shoot:

My two friends (Doug on the left is not a cop but plays one on TV! & Chris who is a CPD cop). Unfortunately, my LTD was in no condition to drive into Chicago for this. New gas tank hasn't arrived yet and bumper fillers are still off of the car. The commercial is for "PODI" shoes.
                  Last edited by neums; 11-23-2009, 10:15 AM.

Comment

At least your not rushing things on the resto... I will probably NOT get my "baby" LTD to this years show, as I have more than I can do before then... And the Navy has cut all of our over time out, which is another $300.00 a month I WAS getting... Which was going into the resto... We are still hoping they let us go back to the old schedule, (with the overtime) But it doen't look too promising. Soooo The 84 will probably take another year to get done... unless I just get super lucky... At least the 91 is ready to go... Should be getting the upper H.O. plenum and throttle boddy on it next week... Then it will be good to go!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Money really isn't the problem with my restoration. To do it right, things have to be done in a certain order and that takes time. First, find all the parts. Second, get it painted. Next, get the bumpers plated and the trim polished or anodized. Then the dash needs to be switched before I can install the rest of the interior... A certain CPD seargent who we both know thinks I should just slap a paintjob on it, put on decals and the lightbar, then start taking it to shows. The rest could be done later, but I don't think its the right way to restore a car. For instance, why put ugly old trim back on a freshly painted car if I'm only going to replace it with better pieces later? I'd rather wait for the nicer parts to be completed even if it means finishing the car a few months later.

Comment

Finally saw the commercial. My buddy Chris even got some camera time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmcGdBjQgQA

Comment

Theres a 90 P72 sitting in the junkyard around here with blue interior Im eyballing the speedo. To bad your dash parts wont fit, Ill keep an eye out for ya though.
                          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I thought your Crown Vic was in the commercial?

Goofy commercial, but it must have been a ton of fun for the guys to get to drive around on the street with their lights flashing.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I got the car somewhat back together and took it to a car show yesterday. Spent the last two weekends installing a rubber floor, blue headliner, seatbelts, package tray, all blue trim, door panels and a few other parts. Found out the hard way that the B-pillar interior cover from a '88 will not work on earlier cars. It seems that the seatbelts were attached to the B-pillar about a inch higher in '88-'91. I went to a wrecking yard and compared the two different B-pillar covers and they are different; the slot that the seatbelt runs through is lower on the earlier cars. Grabbed a couple of parts from a '87 Grand Marquis, dyed them when I got home, and everything works right now. This weekend I'll be attaching the rubber door side strips.

Comment

The car looks awesome!
                                Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Working...
                                X