Anyone want to learn how to weld?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
    Ivan, I thought auto-darkening helmets, aside from being pricey and not cost-effective if you don't use them often, were supposed to allow slight eye damage in the few nanoseconds it takes them to darken?
    I bought a Lincoln auto-darkener for $100 new. I've seen auto-darkening masks for as low as $60 brand new though. If you weld often enough to plunk the cash down on a decent MIG welder, then why not get an auto-darkening mask?

Also, I really doubt the time it takes for a mask to automatically darken can allow eye damage. If it does, it's so negligable it doesn't matter. I have a friend who regularly welds without a mask whatsoever (and has woken up blind several times because of it - somehow his sight always comes back and he never learns) and considering he sometimes welds for hours, I really don't think a nanosecond is going to make much a difference.

I personally can't weld for shit without one, and I'm in the autobody trade. Shit, I don't even own a MIG and I bought myself a mask.

Stick welding is the only kind I don't know, and I'd love to learn it. I need to learn some heavier duty welding for the bobber I'm building.
    Last edited by CheeseSteakJim; 05-19-2009, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smoke'n'rattle View Post
      How powerful is your MIG, Scott? Ya know I'm pretty good with that stuff, just as long as I ain't working on body sheetmetal

Automatic-screen helmets are your friend man, but if it makes ya feel any better I can't work with a regular pitch-black one either.

it's a lincoln 175 amp 220 mig welder ivan

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'd like to try an auto-dimming shield. I think it would help me a lot. I'd also really like to learn TIG welding. I think I'd have better results if I could hand feed the rod. Unfortunately I know absolutely nobody who has a TIG setup, and only one person who has a stick welder. Brazing is another thing I really should learn, it comes in handy for certain types of repairs.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you get a decent hood thats light, flipping it up and down aint no problem. The cheap harbor frieght and the like suck ass. I have a basic $50 fibre-metal hood and its the best hood I've worn.

Auto darkening hoods are great if you get a good one. I like them because they allow you too stick your head in a small space where you might not be able to use a flip hood.

The cheap ones will either darken when someone welds next to you which sucks, or they might not darken at all if your head is in a wierd position. I like the flip hoods cause I dont have to change a battery or worry about it not darkening in odd positions.

The rumor about auto darkening hoods exposing your eye for split seconds causing damage is completely false. Most of them change within 1/25,000 of a second... That rate is so small your eye cannot even pick it up.

Right now I do not have the capability to tig aluminum or any AC tig with my rig, I need an AC inverter box thingie to hook it up to.

For most beginers scratch start tig will be a big bitch without the high frequency start. Im gonna have to bring a shit load of tungsten. I might be able to borrow an invertec machine and run it off the rig.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
          My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Yeah thats kool, since I aced welding class in College, I could use a refresher Pete..
            2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
            85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
            07 JCL 250 A Scooter
            79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

Got thermal arc inverter tig machine the other day. I'll see if I can bring it down as there seems to be alot of intrest in TIG welding

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
              My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

I would love to try welding out

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

i know how to stick,somewhat mig but id love to learn how to TIG especially aluminum!
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

i know chicken scratch welding......... ide love to have some pointers to help me be a little better
                    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
                    1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
                    http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

id like to learn more but I'm shy around a lot of people
                      Lets Go Pens!

Comment

What's chicken scratch welding? It sounds funny ... is it just the welding equivalent of chickenscratch handwriting?
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yea basically. its a skill i have not mastered yet for sure. its ugly when i have to weld something up.
                          1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
                          1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
                          http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

Then apparently I'm very much of a chickenscratch weldor as well.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I was ASE certified for auto collision until I let it run out. But I can also do industrial type welding and frame work. So I can help some guys out on the mig if I am there.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                              Big plans

Comment

hey pete I know what you can demo on. my trailer the rear of the deck is rotted maybe you can weld in a new piece of metal for a support?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Working...
                                X