Converting to Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting to Carb

Well folks, i'm tired of this EFI and it's stupid tricks. The events of this weekend and the frustration it caused were the straw that broke the camel's back. Tired of it's tempermental-ness, and all. Sorry, Scott.

But, i'm gonna do it right:

525 cfm Road Demon, vacuum secondaries.
    Weiand Stealth Intake
    Lokar cables (Not too pleased with them, but i'll use them)
    Sonnax TV geometry correction, if I can figure out how the hell they use it!
    MSD 6AL (Possibly)
    Stock Duraspark dizzy, recurved
    Not sure on the fuel system. Chances are i'll go with a length of AN line where the stock lines teminate and the stock pump (use that regulator Duce ran for awhile, the Aeromotive one)

Let me see, is there anything I forgot? Oh yeah.

SELL ALL THAT CURSED EFI SHIT!!!!

Ok, there you go
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

what da problem is???? stutter of some sort?

I know what it's like trying to trace down a mystery bug... I feel your pain
    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

i have no idea how the AOD would link up to a carb but the rest of your plan seems pretty good

if you dont want to shell out the bucks for the MSD set up a DurasparkII module should be enough to handle everything.
      1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Just a thought, but I don't suppose it'd be possible to get a throttle cable from a non-SEFI car? I was pretty disappointed when I noticed my Lokar throttle cable was responsible for the carb sticking open.

That Sonnax kit is the same one P72Ford used, right? If so, I get the idea I should try to get one too one of these days ....
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by RunUoveR View Post
          i have no idea how the AOD would link up to a carb but the rest of your plan seems pretty good

if you dont want to shell out the bucks for the MSD set up a DurasparkII module should be enough to handle everything.
          Sounds like he has his heart set on a big red MSD box. My Hi-6 I got from TOTCG along with the car seems really nice too, and the rev limiter is just two little dials.

Comment

Before I forget: If money isn't that big of an issue? Buy a Performer RPM Air Gap intake if the cash allows it. I suggested the Stealth unit in the interest of saving some money....but upon further reflection....I'd get that unit (Air Gap RPM) if you find one cheap....with the Stealth being a strong second.

Comment

On the subject of the Lokar AOD cable, toss the directions when it comes to adjustment. Get yourself a pressure gauge, I used an electric oil pressure gauge when it came time, I followed the directions that came with the cable and the pressure was way low. I took out more slack than the directions said and it was fine. That little spacer "tool" that comes with the cable didn't seem to give me enough pressure. I found out because the shifts were way too soon, and 2-3 was the mushiest I've ever felt it.
              Last edited by grandpaslincoln; 06-01-2009, 02:01 AM.
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

then your are gonna fry the aod with that pos lokar cable setup
                dont ruin the fucking car it's gotta be wiring now

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                  then your are gonna fry the aod with that pos lokar cable setup
                  dont ruin the fucking car it's gotta be wiring now
                  X2
                  sigpic
                  Current Rides
                  67 Cougar XR7
                  97 Mountaineer 5.0
                  03 Ranger XLT

Comment

msd is worthless shit too

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

You seem to forget- i'm not a rookie when it comes to this stuff. I've pulled a successful 4bbl swap off. Lokar kit, MSD and all.

I adjusted the pressure MY way, and it worked just fine,
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Trying to remember, the cam is a stock HO and heads are Thumper E7s? Or were they stock E7s?

Comment

SWEET! Do it! Get rid of all that over complicated garbage.
                          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                            You seem to forget- i'm not a rookie when it comes to this stuff. I've pulled a successful 4bbl swap off. Lokar kit, MSD and all.

I adjusted the pressure MY way, and it worked just fine,

yea and we had trouble with it on the way back from south carolina.....fucker stopped shifting

Comment

I have a stock cable on my car, not the Lokar kit. It isn't quite as nice and shiny, but I was told that the stock cable works better than the Lokar units.

The Sonnax kit is very easy; its also way too expensive for what it is (a small bracket and a few fastening pieces). I think mine was $40. I had to modify it to work with the factory cable. After it was modified, I couldn't secure the TV cable with the stock bushing in a way that pleased me, so I took the corrector off. Unfortunately, the modification I did makes it worthless for someone using the Lokar kit. If you're using the Lokar kit, it should just bolt on the carbs throttle arm, and then the end of the TV cable just hooks into it.

Make sure you get the corrector for a BG (or Holley), as the geometry of the bracket is probably important; they do distinguish them.

I do have a Lokar TV cable laying around though...
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                              X