My '90 LTD Crown Vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
    Thanks for the info Matt. Would I be able to get by without parts from a whale Panther? I don't have access to any.

Also, this is most fortunate. I was talking with my boss at work tonight and he said there are more hours if I want 'em this summer. We're not just a cleaning company, though that is the bulk of what we do. We look after properties for banks, lawyers (estates) and things of that nature and there is more work to be done to them in the summertime. The number of properties we have is growing lately, apparently. Good news for me.

My boss also used to do bodywork for a living, and I didn't have a fucking clue about it. I was picking his brain about it for a while and it really doesn't sound like rocket science. I have an angle grinder and a shitload of cutting wheels, and my boss was giving me some advice on blending new metal panels into the existing body.

I won't be able to afford a paint job but it's certainly looking like I will be able to get rid of some of the salt cancer that my car has now. The resulting rear 1/4 panels won't be beautiful so I'm going to try to locate some trim to go along the bottom of the doors/panels. If the trim won't cover it, well, it'll be black until I can afford paint

if anybody has any advice or bits of wisdom regarding body work that they'd like to share I would be most appreciative.
    if you dont have any 98 to 2002 whales down there and still want to do the big brakes then use the spindle and hub assembly from the 95 you have though it is not as good as 98 to 2002 spindles.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

thanks bud
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

HPPs!
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

HPPs!
          On your car now? Pics?
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

yes, on my car now! it drives noticeably better - had 225/75/15 studded rubber bands on my stock steel wheels. can't remember what size I put on the HPPs but they're the stock size for a 95 LX (225/60/16?)

i'll try to grab some pics tomorrow....raining like a bastard there as well?
            sigpic

Comment

I think it's been raining like a whatever, everywhere in North America!
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

not in the Texas panhandle... dry as a bone up there. They've had like 1" all year so far.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It was sunny with cloudy periods today but no rain. The forecast for next week looks very wet...

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/wea...0?ref=homecity
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

It's still gross outside but here's a pic anyway
                    sigpic

Comment

Sitting a bit like mine. Wagon springs in the back? I'm getting tired of the jiggliness, thinking on trying to get another set of cop springs since mine are now in the '81.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yup cc819s
                        sigpic

Comment

Sitting pretty. Looks much better than the wire wheel covers you had on for the longest time
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                            Sitting pretty. Looks much better than the wire wheel covers you had on for the longest time

I took those off in like September and just ran with steelies for the winter...I still have the wire wheel covers but they're too noisy. I'd use them for winter wheels now but that's about it....and I'm even doubting that since I still have my Lacey spokes.
                            sigpic

Comment

Rake much? Looks nice with HPPs.

Comment

also, next stop is rear brakes (front brakes are only a few months old at this point) and then the car gets to meet mr. angle grinder to remove the metal cancer. there are some bubbles in paint in various spots (wheel arches, radio antenna hole, etc) that should be taken care of without any cutting/welding, but the rear quarters have to be cut out and have new metal welded in.

i'm doing as much of it myself as i possibly can - probably everything except the welding of the new metal. i've never done bodywork before and i'm going to need to start somewhere.

hell, if i can borrow a welder, i'll try putting the new metal on myself. i fear no evil....er, tools.

there's a shop less than a 30 second drive from my house that will make new panels for me, apparently. havent spoken to him yet but that's what he does for a living so i dont see it being a problem. gonna have that guy make up the panels for me...i'm worried to see how far up i'm going to need to cut. i am using andyfanshawes thread as a bit of a guide to the basics of installing/smoothing out edges on new sheet metal.

i've been asking around about good body men/welders etc but it seems as though not many people around here really want to touch it; i've been told most body shops just order new panels etc instead of repairing old ones nowadays.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X