This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator wiring diagrams: 1G, 2G, and 3G

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Good stuff Michael. I should do a 3G swap on my car...
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I've posted these in a few threads here and there, and I thought I'd make them easier to find. I asked Thain if he'd like to sticky this thread.

Comment

I actually saved the 3G one on my computer from another thread just in case it was never to be seen of again on the interwebz.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

good stuff indeed!
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Improvement

This 1G diagram is more better than the one I whittled up. Ivan linked to it in bubbaking's thread after it became clear that he really needed the terminals labeled. Maybe this can also replace my diagram in the tech archive thread as well.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks!!

Oh btw, if I go to the parts store and ask for an alternator-- will it necessarily be 3g, good for 165 amps, nowadays? Or is that a particular request?

I don't often make it to junkyards... and if the price difference is not so great, would prefer new to 10 years old and 150k miles with some rain into the open hood.

Comment

If you ask for an alternator for your car you will be given a 2G probably 65a (small case) or 100a (big case)
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

parts store will usually charge somewhere near $200 (around $180 +/-20). Junk yards generally have them around $60-90. Some yards that I've seen selling on ebay have had them as low as $35, but after shipping it's closer to $60.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Guess I should have replied on here instead of in a PM.

- The Box Panther 100A alternator was a large-case 1G. Complicated and pointless to retrofit that to a 2G car when swapping a small-case 3G is like falling off a log.

- 3.8L Mustang alternators (small case 3G, 95A) can be had starting at $100ish at Autozone ($80ish if you're Scott), or starting around $25 used (check car-part.com for listings in your area). I used 1995 as a reference model year in my searches.

- I recall Scott telling me he gets large-case 3Gs (130A) from Tauruses, but don't remember the details (year, engine).
                      Last edited by 1987cp; 08-29-2010, 11:23 PM.

Comment

For the 2g alternator, the wide connector with the two 12 or 10 gauge black wires-- both are hots if I'm reading that right?
                        And-- when I install my 3g alternator, do I want to use them, or do I want to run a fatter cable straight to the battery?

Any harm in maybe even doing both --taking the original charging cable and fitting o-ring terminals to attach them to the 3g, AND running a large gauge cable to the battery-- after all, the more total wire gauge the less loss right? But I have a memory of running two A/C hots together that were out of phase and ending up with 220V at a 110V outlet,scared the crap out of me when it started sparking and burning up-- don't want to do that if that could happen.

Comment

Yes the two fat cables are hot. I would just run a nice 4 gauge wire from the charge stud to the battery or starter solenoid. Eliminate the old 2g alternator wiring and fusible link BS.
                          ~David~

Comment

do not use the 2G wires. They are not large enough for a 3G. You will burn them up if you use them. You can also disconnect them from the wire-mess at the starter solenoid.

I used one of the charge cables from here and just ran it across the top. The charge stud extender would be a wise purchase too (and would have given me the slack needed to not use another 6" battery cable extension). They also had assembled versions when I ordered. Apparently that's changed. You can also use bolt down battery/starter cables (4 gauge wire or fatter) and just get one long enough to make it to the fender where the charge cable megafuse should be (175A on mine) and then another short cable to the starter solenoid.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Interesting link, though an unnecessary expense IMO. You can reuse the 2G regulator plug (it's the same) and eliminate everything else. Can attach the stator wire around to its new home with a spade terminal or see if AZ has the proper plug; other than that, it's basically just a starter cable for charging and a ring terminal to loop the yellow wire back around to the charging stud.

+1 on not reusing the ancient stock charging wires. You can fish them out of the headlight harness if you ever have the ambition to do so.
                              Last edited by 1987cp; 05-02-2011, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X