This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
    As I walk back to the car, planning my next trip to the junkyard but pleased I'd figured it out, I notice something.
    I'd gone ahead and replaced the brushes for good measure.
    To install them, there's a pin that holds back the springs. I'd sworn I'd removed it, but i think I switched regulators from a rebuilt one back to motorcraft at one point.
    Ooooh. No wonder it tested good at the 'yard and then subsequently refused to work! I would never have thought of that, as I've never replaced alternator brushes - I've always just taken a known-working alternator and tossed it on the car.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I've got an 85 which is I believe a 1G. There is still no difference in the swap, and I cut out the external regulator, correct? Also Gadget mentioned the choke heater which I see is the W/BK wire, I can just splice the heater wire into that?

Pete
      Originally posted by gadget73
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Oh and I should have to cut and join two wires at the Regulator for 'hot in run' right? Anyone know which ones? And just abandon the other two?

Pete
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
          Oh and I should have to cut and join two wires at the Regulator for 'hot in run' right? Anyone know which ones? And just abandon the other two?

Pete
          Oh I see, I can just pick a wire

Pete

Comment

Alt conversion done! 1G and external regulator ripped out, 3G in. The minor wire mods were easy but did take a little thought. Not all wire colors on the diagram were correct (I think, my compartment is dirty. White/black looked quite yellow) but heck it's only a couple wires. Used the 98+ F150 wire mentioned. That put the new main fuse right at the brace for the AC compressor, zip tie there, picked up a 32" battery cable, cut off the clamp and ran it over to the battery, main fuse to hose for emmisions crap on fender, ziptie, then to battery. The stock belt was difficult to get on (the 3G doesn't go over to 'loose' as far) but once over the lip was fine. Also I did have to ream out the bottom bolt hole in the casing just a little. As Gadget mentioned, on a CFI you need to tap the choke heater wire into the white/black jumper on the 3G.

Results? I think the car runs better than it did when the 1G was working. And surprisingly (or maybe not?) the stereo sounds much better particularly at higher levels. Bass is obviously tighter and clearer.

Many thanks to the fine gentlemen here at GMN.

Pete

Comment

I'm trying to install the 3G alternator, but the lower bolt from the original doesn't fit the new alternator, it's too big. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I don't know if I need a smaller bolt or to drill out and make the hole bigger.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
              2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
              2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

I had to drill out the hole on the one I put on my 88 for the long bolt to fit. I also had to use a nut/bolt setup on the top since the used one was not threaded.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

^ That's what I ended up doing as well.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                  2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                  2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

I'm about to do this to my car tomorrow. I got the 3G and all the wiring and fuse. Only question is should I keep the 3g's pulley or put my 1g's smaller pulley on the 3G? I've read though some threads and couldn't find much info.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

keep the 3g's pulley. it works that much better and the lower RPM will save the bearings in the long run.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hi, Im looking for the wiring diagram for the 81 crown vic and by any chance the wiring diagram for the 88 any one that can help, thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                        X