This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
    You can fish them out of the headlight harness if you ever have the ambition to do so.
    I thought about this... then I saw the sheer amount of re-taping needed and said... NO. I just cut the fuse link off on the battery side of the car... removed the link from the starter solenoid and tossed it. If I ever get a serious motor to go into that car... THEN I will consider removing that trash. The extra 3-5 pounds of wire ain't hurting anything.

I'd have to be really epically bored to even consider doing this without having dern near everything out of the front of that car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Amusingly, I had the headlight wiring out of my car a couple years or so ago to make some repairs, but at that time I was still making use of the old stock alternator wiring. It's actually not that big a deal to fish the headlight harness out of the nose of the vehicle, and if nothing else it'll be happening if and when I get around to upgrading the headlights to a relay system.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Hey--
        Looking at the wiring diagrams, and then at the alternators, the sole difference was that the y/w wire, in the middle of the harness, disappears into a main loom for the 2g, but for the 3g, loops over to a little single-wire harness right next to the main one?
        That, and put in a bigger charge cable. Otherwise, the 2g harness plugs right in? I should be good if that's the case. If there's any reason why you would cut off the 2g harness altogether and need to custom solder on the 3g harness, then I've done it wrong.

Starting up my engine after sitting for 3 weeks, battery light came on about 5 minutes ago, but there are lots of reasons why the battery light could come on. Just want to make sure it's not the alternator wiring

Comment

right. The only reason I soldered the 3G harness onto my car was that I didn't have to pull it out of the alt when I installed it. I have bad luck with those damn tabs.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

hmm...
            I recharged the battery last night: I have a jump box, so I plugged in the jump box to charge, and then I hooked its cables up to my battery as if to jump it.
            Unless I learned my electricity 101 wrong, that ought to charge both the jump box AND my car battery together.

Checked it this morning, battery reads 13+ volts. Seems charged to me.

Battery light is still on though...
            Could there be something I did wrong with the alternator wiring that could have messed with the dash idiot light?
            In the original harness, the black wires are now disconnected, as I have a new 4gauge charging cable,
            AND the Y/W wire was different on the 3g alternator, it looped back to another spot on the alternator rather than disappearing into the loom.
            By clipping that, could I have cut off the idiot light, so now it sees 0V and thinks there's a problem?

Comment

Only thing going to the idiot light is the wire to the field coil. And your alternator obviously won't work without that attached.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I don't actually know that it is working
                could anything on the old harness be backwards from the new 3g alternator, any of those 3 wires in a different spot?

It does sound like something's off, doesn't it.
                I'll plug in a spare, if dysfunctional, 2g alternator and see if the light goes off.

Comment

The idiot light is the red and green wire that actually runs power through your printed circuit (idiot light) and tells the alternator to turn on. It also has a resister built into it to light the idiot light because it senses something is wrong. Do you have the belt on the car? are all of the connections tight and secure is the alternator a new or used one?

And the voltage regulator plugs are the same between the 2g and 3g. No wires would be in different positions.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

OK. I'm going to switch back the W/BK wire and see if that does anything.. even though it shouldn't.
                    Hmm, the charging cable-- that can go to any hot, right? Well, not any, but it's ok being on the fender starter solenoid, the continuously-hot side of course? Or is that my trouble?

Yes, it's being actively run. Oddly, I'd had the old alternator plugged in and not being driven at one point, and the battery light was NOT on.

It's a used one, but I had it tested at salvo and it tested fine. Put in new brushes.

Comment

Starter solenoid is fine for them. What do you mean by switching back the white and black wire. The white and black wire should be the wire coming from the voltage regulator to the singe spade terminal on the alternator itself.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

right, and that was the only wire I changed from the 2g harness. It used ot disappear into the loom... if I wire it back the way it was (into the loom, instead of to the spade terminal)?
                        Yeah, it doesn't sound right to me, either.

Comment

The only wire you need to reuse on the car is the green wire
                          This is how it should look
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Ok-- so you have the green wire going back into the stock wiring loom?
                            Where do you have the yellow wire going to? I reused that wire, too.

Comment

I figured the yellow wire in the stock harness already had to go back to hot, somewhere-- so I could just leave it be. Would that result in the alternator just not functioning?
                              I tested earlier, in fact, my battery voltage DROPS when the engine is on. Voltage must be backfeeding into the alternator, it's not keeping up.
                              Should I take that yellow wire and loop it directly over to the fat red charging cable?

Comment

The stock yellow wire is connected to the starter solenoid with the stock black / orange stripe wire,at the end of a fuse link , If you disconnected the stock black/orange wire you disconnected the yellow also .
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	P5080006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1264918

Take the yellow wire and loop it around to the charging post like in my earlier pic and you should be all set, this should make it a little clearer
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by hypostang; 05-08-2011, 07:10 PM.
                                sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Working...
                                X