Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes do that please. The yellow wire originally (on my car) traveled back with the two fat charger cables and eventually spliced into them through fusible links. So if you removed the ring terminal from the starter solenoid that was originally for the alternator you removed the voltage sense wire.

For god sakes..white/black wire from voltage regulator to spade terminal on the alternator. Yellow wire to the charge stud and red green wire connected to the stock red/green wire.

damn daryl beat me to it.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks.
      I didn't miss this... just seemed clear that it must end up back at a hot anyway, why make more work for myself?
      Testing it now

Comment

huh, nope, no change. The battery's dropping, of course; so right now the battery reads 12.5x volts, and when I turn the car on, and the alternator is running, it drops to 12.2x volts. Back to 12.5x volts once I turn the car off again.
        Voltage is going to "charge" the alternator, rather than the other way around....

Could the alternator tester at the auto parts store have lied?

Comment

It could have , I would just double check that you have everything wired correctly , is so take it to a different store and get it checked .
          sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

I've got the green cable left in the original 2g harness, left alone.
            I've got the white wire looping over to the small single-wire harness that's only on the 3g-- not there on the 2g.
            I've got the yellow wire going over to the charging cable now.
            I've got the charging cable going to the battery.
            Just for good measure, I added a fat ground wire on the back, but shouldn't have been necessary.

Honestly, it doesn't seem that complicated. The above is all correct, right?

Comment

So it looks exactly like thisClick image for larger version

Name:	P5080006.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1264920

If so you are correct, and just to clarify your green wire is connected to the car right ?
              Last edited by hypostang; 05-08-2011, 08:12 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

green wire disappears into the original wiring loom, wherever that may go (in theory somewhere in the dash)

Comment

does the voltage change with engine revs? if not, could be bad continuity in the charge cable or a bad voltage regulator.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Have you verified that the green wire is still providing key-on power? If not, feel free to tap it into any key-on power source.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

When the key is in the on position --starter not yet engaged, but power is there to all the dash lights-- I should have 12V on that line?

Comment

"should" yes. If not... there's a problem. Check the wire harness connections on the driver fender if there's not 12V there. I think there's one or 2 harnesses inline to the alt.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Hahahahahaha, sorry guys for all the posts... figured it out.
                          So, once I'd rechecked my wiring for the dozenth time, I mean come ON! The 3g upgrade is not rocket science, and I was getting really frustrated.
                          Your posts and photos confirmed I'd definitely had it correct.

So finally I take the alternator to pepboys and have it retested. I'd tested it at salvos last month, what could possibly have changed sitting in a bin...
                          And as it goes down the test, the results for voltage: FAIL regulator: FAIL diodes: FAIL.
                          Heh, well that explains that.

As I walk back to the car, planning my next trip to the junkyard but pleased I'd figured it out, I notice something.
                          I'd gone ahead and replaced the brushes for good measure.
                          To install them, there's a pin that holds back the springs. I'd sworn I'd removed it, but i think I switched regulators from a rebuilt one back to motorcraft at one point.
                          It was still in there.

The brushes never had contact with the alternator!
                          I take it back in to pepboys, borrow a pair of pliers, pull the pin, test it, passes: put it on the car, and 15V. Whew!

Comment

Glad you got it figured out ..and I promise i did not chuckle
                            sigpic

Comment

rolling on the floor laughing however...

glad you got it sorted. at least it ended up being simple.

Comment

oh, feel free to. I did-- what else can you do after wasting hours uninstalling, rewiring, reinstalling an alternator only to find out it was a stupid little pin I'd forgotten to pull?

Comment

Working...
                                X