MKVIII Electric Dual Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MKVIII Electric Dual Fan

Is this the big electric fan that people swap over to, or is it the newer Town Car fans? I might think about getting one out of the JY and running that in the CV, but I'm not sure which car had the large dual fan unit.

Packman

mark viii fans are not dual fans.....just a single fan with two speeds......will only fit if you have a one row radiator
    the newer panther fans (98+) will not fit at all.....not enough clearance at the water pump pulley

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I must have heard it wrong. Perhaps I was thinking of the Ford Taurus electric cooling fans; I think those are the dual fans, right? What year(s) did the dual electric cooling fans come on those models? I have been hearing not-so-good things about the Flex-a-Lite e-fan I got for the CV. I might end up putting it into the S-10 and using something else for the CV.

Packman

Comment

Taurus fan is also a single fan, a bit thinner so it may fit easier.

No idea about a factory dual fan. All the Fords I know of with fans that move enough air are single units. The Mark VIII, Taurus, or MN12 Tbird fans (which are all nearly identical) will all move plenty enough air. The one inside the shroud on later aeros also works. Those cars had both an electric fan and the clutch fan.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you want a dual fan, look at the imports.
          89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Yeah, I think I saw a mini-van with a dual electric fan, but I wonder if that will be enough to cool downa lopo and possibly later a mild 351W? In any event, I'm going to use something other than what I got.

Packman

Comment

I have a Taurus fan collecting dust that I can sell you if you'd like. I bought it thinking the one I used in my conversion was broken - come to find out it was a loose connection. PM if you're interested.

Comment

I own a '99 Taurus, and it does have Dual Electric Fans from the factory. Look for a 96-99 in the junkyard, they should all be the same. I'm gonna snag one for my Merc eventually.

Comment

n00bish question on electric fans, since I've gotten interested in the topic again recently. . When I searched car-part.com for Taurus fans (the '96-'99 suggested above), it offered me a choice of right or left. Confusing ... if going that route, do you need to buy both?

I searched for Mark VIII, but those were expensive (mostly $100-plus) and none particularly local.

Now I'm searching for a '95 Taurus and getting even crazier options:
                  Fan Assm, exc. SHO; 6-232 (3.8L)
                  Fan Assm, SHO, AT
                  Fan Assm, exc. SHO; 6-183 (3.0L)
                  Fan Assm, SHO, MT

The 3.8L fans seem to be comparatively cheap ($45ish), and there appear to be one or two advertised locally (though that yard isn't showing prices).

What exactly should I be looking for?
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

buying a new one you'd probably just find the fan motor itself, not the complete shroud assembly. That would be my guess anyway.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

:confused: I was just looking at used stuff at car-part.com .....

I would consider asking at this point whether new stuff would be at all cost-effective, but if you're correct, a motor without a fan assembly attached would be quite pointless .....
                      Last edited by 1987cp; 10-02-2009, 09:28 AM.

Comment

I just bought a Taurus fan off a mid 90's model for $24.99 at my local yard. I just finished installing it tonight and it is like a HURRICANE in my engine bay lol. I wired it on high speed and it blew my 20amp safety in-line fuseable link inbetween my thermostat controller and battery. I stuck a 30amp fuse in the holder and it was fine. Probably going to get a 40 amp eventually because that is what Ford called for on that fan. Oh there is also a little more than an inch clearance for the water pump pulley, but i have a single core radiator.

Taurus fan = WIN
                        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

:bump: So we still don't know what specific year range and engine options to search for?

Right now on car-part.com I'm coming up with:
                          - Mark VIII fans from $50
                          - 3.8L Taurus fans from $25 (searched for a '95, seeing hits from '91 to '95, including FWD Lincoln Continental)
                          - 3.0L Taurus fans starting around $35
                          - didn't search for SHO models

Comment

I'd look on ebay... I've seen them that cheap, and you can usually look at what your buying.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

lol ... I still don't know precisely what to look for, silly.

Evidently the 3.0L, 3.8L, and SHO fans are different, and I'm just trying to find out which one people have been using.

Comment

Working...
                              X